Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midwestmom_gw

can you help me with my living room?

midwestmom
14 years ago

Here is my living room. Can you help me with the big wall? I would love to have a bookshelf or two somewhere but have no idea how to go about that. I know I need something tall on that wall. I'm looking forward to your ideas!

Comments (37)

• tonyar109
    14 years ago

you can adopt the most popular decration on the wall.
    hand painting or oil painting, they may make your room revive .haha,that is my idea .

• boystown
    14 years ago

My living room has a large wall as well. I found a large iron piece and 2 large iron piece sconces. They seem to tone down the size of the wall. I like the color of your walls, would you mind telling me the paint color? I am sure you will get more replies to your decor questions--good luck

• User
    14 years ago

Without seeing the rest of the room, its a little hard to comment, for me anyway. Could you post pictures of the room from different angles?

• User
    14 years ago

Did I hear bookshelves?

With a large wall like that, you need some large-scale art, bookcases or other furniture so it doesn't feel like you are living at the bottom of a canyon.

• ttodd
    14 years ago

Did my heart just flutter at the sight of all of those books?!

Midwestmom,

Do you have a particular art medium that you are drawn to? Just feeling it out before tossing out some thoughts.

• jjam
    14 years ago

I'd put bookshelves on that wall in a heartbeat. So versatile and you can also use them for displaying art and personal memorabilia. Lucky you with all that available space!

• luvnlife_09
    14 years ago

I can't find the exact thing I'm looking for, but they're very popular in the stores around here (midwest)...But my friend has a huge open backed wall clock in her space just like that. Ithink it must be 50" in diam. or so. Here's a link to something similar on ebay:

Here is a link that might be useful: Huge clock on ebay

• luvnlife_09
    14 years ago

Sorry for not editing the above post better, I hit submit too fast!!:P
    I actually prefer this one as the other was kind of "scrolly" and I see now it is oval. So this one is more plain and round.
    The same site I'm posting from has other large clocks too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Better clock idea

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

This room looks nothing like yours but I wanted to show how bookcases and books make such a difference.

....Jane

{{!gwi}}

• midwestmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I would love some bookshelves and I love the big clock too. I guess I'm just not sure how to go about putting it together. Where do I put bookshelves. Behind the loveseat, in the middle, or on either side? Then it would be too close to the tv? I'll take some more pics of the room. I'm so clueless at decorating!

• peaches12345
    14 years ago

I think if you are going to do bookcases you really have to DO bookcases! One tall skinny bookcase is going to get lost. I was thinking a wall of bookcases from the end table to the tv. At the very least you could center the loveseat on the wall with a bookcase on either side and a clock or art over the loveseat.

• midwestmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, I took a few pictures just now. Be gentle :) I have a sick little girl home today so she has blankets and toys by the tv. I also have a friend coming over this afternoon to pick up a bunch of outgrown clothes and shoes, so that's what the messes are. And the coffee table always becomes my office with the laptop, my dayplanner and is always covered with books. Another reason why I'd love some bookshelves!!

• midwestmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

gagesgranny my walls are SW Universal Khaki. It's a great color.

• tomorrowisanotherday
    14 years ago

So sorry to hear you have a sickie today. I had one home last week and the other kid the week before. It never ends!

I think a big piece would do wonders for that wall, esp. since it's the focal point when you enter from the kitchen. My hesitation with just bookcases is that they can get a bit monotonous. I'd love to see books PLUS TV on that wall. It's hard to tell from photos if this would work, but I'm going to suggest a little switcheroo for some pieces: Try the loveseat on the other side of the room, making an "L" with the sofa. Your end table would fit between them. Then move the recliner to the current TV spot, then move your TV to the big wall in something like this:

or
    {{!gwi}}

I think that will allow your fireplace to shine as a focal point when you walk in the front door, and will do justice to the big wall. Also, a bonus would be TV viewing from the kitchen. What do you think?

• powermuffin
    14 years ago

I would try to incorporate the TV into a shelf unit as tomorrowisanotherday has suggested. You could build the whole wall out as shelves or shelves with cabinets for storage on the bottom - or you could just get a large entertainment center piece as shown above. It seems like a logical solution when you have kids' stuff and computer stuff that need to be stored somewhere. I love the examples posted.
    Diane

• kbmas0n
    14 years ago

Here's my wall, which looks awfully similar to yours except that is my TV wall. And you can't see the peak, but it is almost identical to yours. In fact, if we hadn't changed our house plan around, it would have been identical.

• k9arlene
    14 years ago

What if you move your sofa to the long wall in question and put the entertainment/tv unit on the wall that currently houses the secretary desk.

• Oakley
    14 years ago

I agree about putting the TV with book cases on the large wall, or put the TV where the secretary is.

You could then put in bookcases along with a large Tapestry.

What you need to do first is figure out where you want your TV to stay put now that they're all wired in to DTV or cable. They can always come out and change it out for you.

When we built our room, the TV and Fireplace were the first decisions on location. lol

• midwestmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The tv used to be on the big wall, in a big cabinet before we got a flat screen. The reason I moved it to the corner was because I couldn't find a way to fit in more seating. Before I just had the leather recliner and couch. I like having the love seat too and wouldn't mind having even more seating. And also more tables and lighting somehow. I have no clue. Oh and don't forget the bookshelves! :)

I never thought about putting the tv where I have the desk. It's not too big of a deal to move, dh is an electrician and really you just make a tiny hole in the floor near the trim and run the wires up from the basement. Where would I put the desk? It is my favorite piece of furniture. It was my dad's and I just recently got it. Thanks for your suggestions and I look forward to hearing more!!

• midwestmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

tomorrowisanotherday, I like your ideas also. I can try these out and see if they work. Dh does like to sit in the recliner and watch tv though!? I would have to push the couch closer to the wall and the coffee table too. I always feel that the couch and coffee table should be kind of centered with the fireplace?? Would it look okay if it's not? This room is so hard for me! I would like lots of seating and for it to be very homey and comfortable and cozy. :) A lot of homes I've been in lately in my town have the wall words. I'm invited to an Uppercase Living Party next week. What do you think of those? Any ideas for using them in my room?

• tomorrowisanotherday
    14 years ago

Uppercase Living is sooo cool! But I'd put off having a saying printed for your family room until you have most of it the way you want it.

Oh, sweetie, I know about the love triange that often exists between a man, his recliner, and the TV, LOL! As I see it, there is another option for you to try: Put TV/cabinet on big wall. Place sofa opposite it (facing the wall). Place recliner to the right of the sofa, angled toward the TV somewhat. Now, you'd have to get a new home for the loveseat, but next I'd place a nice new (Craig's List??) chair in the corner to the right of the fireplace. Then I'd yank that pretty arm chair that's to the right of your lovely secretary and place it next to the TV cabinet, leaving a walk-space between it and the recliner. PHEW!

Would it be possible to set up that secretary in such a way that you could use it instead of your coffee table to work at while at home? Just another idea!:)

• midwestmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

kbmas could you post more pics of your room? you said the layout was almost identical to mine and I'm curious as to how the rest of it looks. thanks for sharing your pics!

I've never thought of putting the couch across from the big wall. I do like having the loveseat And the couch in here though.

• jlj48
    14 years ago

I think your space looks homey and inviting! I would do the tv/bookcase combo on the large wall. You could keep the couch where it is or put it across from the big wall. Start shopping for a big piece and at least get an estimate on a local cabinet maker making something custom for you. It may not be that much of a price difference.

• k9arlene
    14 years ago

I'm afraid if you put the tv on the long wall and placed the sofa opposite it, you're closing off that living space from the kitchen; whereas if you put the sofa on the long wall and the tv where the secretary is, you've got a big open space there to bring in extra seating from the kitchen if need be. Also, if you moved the tv to the long wall and kept the sofa where it is, viewing the tv from the sofa would be a little awkward. Not seeing the rest of your room, I'm not sure where the secretary could go. It's lovely. Could you use it in a study room or guest room?

• mistybear11
    14 years ago

The shape of your bookcase might look good using the same shape as the front entrance, which is beautiful. Then you would have some similarity of shape and the wall needs something substantial.

• kbmas0n
    14 years ago

Here are some additional pictures. We actually put a french door where your fireplace is, but really, REALLY regret that now. We made a lot of quick decisions that caused us to have a pretty closed in seating arrangement. But such is life!

• midwestmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

kbmas i love your room. and you have so much more light than we do with the fireplace there. there is also a screen porch outside the living room so that blocks even more light. i think your room is a little wider than mine? i've been worried about not having room to walk behind the couch if i put it opposite the big wall.

k9arlene, i thought i had pictures of the entire room so you could see it all. what other views would help? I don't have a study or spare room for the desk. I really love it and want it to stay in the living room. Honestly it's the only thing in the living room, besides the cabinet in the entryway, that I really like.

• pat_tea
    14 years ago

Hi Midwestmom: I'm not sure if there is enough room to accomplish this but could you; angle the recliner and love seat on either side of the fireplace. Place the large sofa angled facing the new location of the love seat from the corner of the opening of the kitchen and off of the wall with the secretary. I hope that makes sence. Put the sofa table behind the sofa with two lamps for lighting at either end. Now, move the secretary on the same wall but close to the stair railing. The siloettes would look nice grouped above the secretary vertically instead of horizontally and you could put one of your chairs next to it. The TV and bookshelves would be against the wall where the love seat is currently but moved over a bit where it could be best seen from the three angles where you have placed your seating. This all depends on if the sofa will indeed fit angled on that wall. If it will, you will have an open arrangement where you could pull chairs in from the kitchen for more seating. The fireplace wall would be your focal point and it will still function as a TV room without the TV being the first thing you see when you come in the door (like I am forced to do). Good luck. I love your home. I am also married to an electrician. He has all these ideas for our home but electrical is the last thing he wants to do after work or on weekends. . .LOL!

• teacats
    14 years ago

My thoughts:

1) TV on the lefthand side of the fireplace OR IF POSSIBLE -- over the fireplace! IF you could put the TV over the fireplace -- think of all of that lovely floorspace! LOL!

2) Sofa on long wall. THIN bookshelves on each side of the sofa.

3) Loveseat facing the fireplace.

4) Recliner in front of right-hand window and in front of bookshelves. Add standing lamp for cozy light in the corner.

5) Desk in front entry on carpet.

• cookie8
    14 years ago

Thick, neutral, horizontal stripes would look nice on the wall. Maybe three or four different shades. Then you can probably have bookshelves anywhere. I did this in a room where I couldn't really hang artwork because the lighting cast too many reflections in anything with glass and now I am addicted to striping things.

• midwestmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

okay I'm still ready the rest of the responses but wanted to say that to the left of the desk is an opening going to a small hallway that goes to the garage or the kitchen. on the left of the desk is a black chair and then the doorway, then the stair railing. I didn't realize there wasn't a picture of that. So there is a sort of hallway, along the stair railing, if that makes sense. I'll look for another picture.

• pat_tea
    14 years ago

OOOh, I like that. Makes good flow for entertaining. OK, so with my placement ideas move the secretary to where the black chair is. I think you would still have room to angle the sofa toward the opposite corner. I wish I was there with my handy little furniture mover thingies to push furniture around with you. It would be fun.

• midwestmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I really appreciate all of your suggestions. For now, I like the way the furniture is. Can you help me decorate the large wall?

• midwestmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Any suggestions on bookcases and decor for the enormous wall in my living room? What sort of bookshelf do you think? What style? Do you have any pictures or links? Thank you, I appreciate your help!

• melaz3
    14 years ago

Your living room is almost exactly our living room. Kind of scary actually!

This is the only picture I could find but we have since changed things around a bit. That couch is now downstairs but this is a pic of our large wall. We would like to do something different too. I will have to watch this post for sure.

• lyfia
    14 years ago

Here's how our similar wall looks with TV and bookshelves flanking. They are all individual pieces from IKEA as we couldn't afford the $5K of the fitted pieces I liked and could find elsewhere. I wanted glass on the bookshelves.

Note: This was just after DH put them together, so no decor on them or books/DVD's in them. That is what we use ours for.

{{!gwi}}

• melaz3
    14 years ago

I love that!!!! My friend and I were just talking about making a trip to Ikea too. Now I want to even more. Thanks for sharing.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022