Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
local_eater

Where to place the vanity

localeater
9 years ago

We are finally starting our first floor powder room makeover.
Some of you may recall previous posts where I struggled with configuring the space(the space needs to include washer and dryer). Well we have a plan now that works for us and incorporater many previous suggestions- thank you all.
I do still need to decide on which wall I will place the vanity. The toilet is in place where drawn(though I think it is drawn too small). The current sink is on wall B, the plumbing comes up through the floor from unfinished basement space.
The sink on wall B is advantageous because I do not have to move the plumbing. Cons: include the sink being under the window, which means you can't have a mirror over the sink.
The sink on wall A is desirous because I can have a mirror over the sink and wall lighting.
Thoughts and opinions are sought. Thank you in advance.

Comments (4)

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

Hi,Local, I think you're a fellow Mainer. I recalled seeing photos of bathroom mirrors in front of windows, and have linked some images below. It may not work in your situation, but you 'll see there are several ways to do it.

Here is a link that might be useful: bathroom miirors in front of windows

• localeater
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi my3dogs, I am indeed a fellow Mainer! And I think I may not be too far from you because once when you posted pictures of your lovely house, I thought to myself that I have driven passed it. Of course with children, and outings, and sports I often think I have driven everywhere at least once....

I like the look of the mirror in front of the window, have to see what DH thinks, he is a little hesitant about offbeat approaches. I suppose as a sort of compromise, I could wallmount an articulated arm mirror, like a shaving mirror. It is definitely something to consider. Thank you for the thought.

Do you think the floor space is better used with the vanity along wall B?

• teeda
    9 years ago

I would keep the sink on wall B, unless having a mirror over the vanity is critical for some reason (i.e. shaving, makeup application). I actually think it would be kind of cool to have a window over a sink in a powder room/laundry room--I enjoy looking out the window when I'm washing my hands at the kitchen sink and I imagine that would be the primary purpose of this sink as well, no? You could put a pretty mirror with a small shelf under it on wall A. That way if someone wants to check/touch up their appearance they'd only have to turn right. And the money you would save not having the sink moved would be an extra benefit!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

Hi,again! I wonder if you did. I am near Portland, So.Portland, Gorham, Scarborough...I can be in any of them in 5 minutes.

Did you also note the one that almost looks like a make-up vanity with the oval mirror mounted on upright arms? Third row down, third pic in...

I always try to do plumbing in a way that is less expensive, so I'd probably leave the sink on wall B and take advantage of the existing.

Like WMA89, even though in my 1/2 baths, the vanity isn't under the sink, I find myself looking out the window when washing my hands. We had a camp in Albany Maine years ago, and it was rustic, with no running water, other than at the well house, about 25 feet from the camp. We'd haul water, heat it up on the Princess Atlantic wood stove, and pour it into a bowl and wash our faces with a pull out shaving mirror in the kitchen window, looking out at the White Mtns. Those were the days...