Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janran_gw

Pull-out vs. pull-down faucet

janran
15 years ago

From what I've read on this board, it seems that most folks prefer the pull-down faucet. But I'm not sure why. Why is one or the other preferable to you?

Comments (8)

• old1880home
    15 years ago

I had a pull-out Blanco faucet and after a few years it didn't stick back in the way it did at first. Also, because it was made of plastic (I think most are) it cracked.

• ssjm
    15 years ago

What is the difference? I thought they were the same thing!

• janran
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Some manufacturers seem to call any faucet with a pull out hose a "pull-out"; however on this site, folks referred to certain faucets as pull-downs.
    The difference seems to be that with the pull-down, the hose pulls out or down close to the end of the faucet.

This is a pull-out
    {{!gwi}}
    this is a pull down
    {{!gwi}}

• Buehl
    15 years ago

It's also the movement you make when you pull on the faucet head...

Pull down: you pull it down toward the sink when you pull on the faucet head

Pull out: you pull the faucet head out toward you

• holligator
    15 years ago

One more difference that I've noticed is the size of the nozzle. Pull-outs all seem to have more of a 'handle' section to hold onto. Pull-downs seem to be just a nozzle head. I'm not sure, but having a smaller piece to hold with the pull-downs may contribute to them being easier to maneuver.

We have the Kohler Vinnata (a pull-down) and we love it. I think the pull-down nozzle gives a lot of flexibility in how it is used. I can squirt something, let it hang while I move items around in the sink, and then squirt something else, all without putting it back up in the faucet. With my SIL's pull-out, I have to stop to put it back in the faucet in that scenario, because it would squirt all over if I didn't.

• ssjm
    15 years ago

Thanks all for the explanations!

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Someone posted here a while ago saying that s/he thought the pull outs had a longer reach than pull downs. Our Kohler Vinnata isn't installed yet, but I did measure what I think is its reach against the reach of the Price Pfister pullout I had before and I think s/he may be right... It may be that b/c the pull downs have a lot more room underneath them for pots that manufacturers feel you don't need a longer reach. However, we fill our 5-gallon pail for our fish tank on the counter next to the sink (not in it...it would be too heavy to lift it out of the sink!)...so a longer reach would be better for us....luckily we have a pullout on our prep sink (Kohler Fairfax) so I think I will have the best of both worlds!

Just thought I'd mention it!