Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sayde_gw

Instant Hot?

sayde
15 years ago

If you have Instant Hot water, would you please share your views -- have you been happy with it? Does it make for a good cup of tea? (I've heard some conflicting views on this). Would you recommend it? Any particular brand, or any other suggestions on purchasing, or installing? Thanks!

Comments (16)

• tamjo44
    15 years ago

Love, love, love it. We have Everpure and I have it set on 'maximum', which is 180 degrees if I am remembering correctly. It is definitely hot enough for tea-too hot to drink or touch right away.

Besides tea, I have made jello, reconstituted dried onions, warmed thermos's and coffee mugs, filled a bowl for washing just a few dishes without waiting for the tap to get hot, filled the pasta pot so it will boil very quickly, and wet a microfiber cloth for cleaning the cooktop and counter.

It gets plenty of use. We went with the appliance salesman's recommendation so we didn't comparison shop. A plumber installed it, so I can't offer any suggestions there.

• ljsandler
    15 years ago

I have Everpure's instant hot/chilled water and I LOVE it!!! I got it at Superwater.com. They had the best prices. It is one of my favorite things about my remodel. We use the instant hot all the time for soup, hot cocoa, cleaning, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Superwater

• dcb1_2008
    15 years ago

I have an insinkerator and love it. It is very convenient for tea or to fill a pot of water that is about to be boiled. It cuts down on the boiling time drastically.

I also like it to help clean caked on food from cooking pots and pans that I'm soaking in the sink.

I'm a big fan of the instant hot.

• earlygirl44
    15 years ago

I've been considering an instant hot but am concerned about the energy required to keep the water that hot all the time . I don't know how it works really ,I use an electric kettle that boils up the water in a couple of minutes- I am happy with it , but I wouldn't mind getting off my counter in the redo... I would really love to hear more opinions on the energy usage of the instant hot

• longislandinnj
    15 years ago

I use almost everyday and now my kids are tea drinkers too b/c of the ease of use. Re: energy-- not sure but if you wer going away you could unplug it (under sink).

Do not order unit on line b/c you need a plumber to install & you do not want to buy one w/ a defect - which you do not know until installed & then the plumber will not warranty product.

• sayde
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the responses! Sounds like something I will have to get!

• tamjo44
    15 years ago

Regarding energy use to keep the water hot, I don't have any data. But, when I use the instant hot, I am not microwaving or using the cooktop, so I kind of figured it all balanced out.

However, It takes a looong time for my kitchen tap water to get hot enough to fill a sink for dishwashing. By using the instant hot, I am saving gallons of water everyday. As we are hearing rumblings about water rationing this summer, I think we did good by installing it.

• astridh
    15 years ago

I do not know how much energy they use, but I can't imagine that it is much. Basically, it is an insulated little tank, 1/2 to 3/4 gallon size, that fits under your sink. It's like a mini hot water heater, but keeps the water much hotter. It's so small and well insulated that I doubt that it uses much energy. Certainly I save water and energy not waiting for water to otherwise get hot or come to a boil.

I had one by Kitchenaid; it was effective but the faucet was not too attractive. I loved it for the previously mentioned reasons: hot chocolate or tea or ramen noodles whenever desired, cuts down on cooking time for pasta or steamed vegetables, great to soak a pan, great to wash just a few dishes (diluted with cold) and not wait for the faucet to "warm up", and my husband warms up his coffee mug with it. I am not a tea gourmet; I just put a bag in my mug of hot water. If you are a serious tea gourmet you'd have to ask someone else who is.

I definitely plan to put one in my remodel. It will be either Everpure's Everhot product (called Solaria) or the Waterstone product. I plan to have filtered water (not chilled) in one side and hot on the other. You might like the chiller as well. I am limited to either of these because they will accept a reverse osmosis filter with an air gap. There are other brands as well, if you don't have RO. You will need a receptacle under your sink for power. Mine is on the same one as the disposal.

Again, I love having the instant hot.

• chrissiemw
    15 years ago

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my hot water tap and that (along with my disposal) are the two things I miss most during my remodel!

I received an insinkerator hot water tap 4yrs ago for Mother's day and it's the best give I've ever gotten! When we moved the first thing I had dh do was to drill a hole into our stainless sink so we could get a new hot water tap. I cannot live without mine.

I drink tea everyday (usually 2 cups) and every morning I make quaker quick oats for myself and my 4 kids so for those reasons alone it was worth it for me.

I also fill a pot with water from the instant hot to cut down on boil time and it works great to defrost meat that is stored in freezer baggies in the freezer. I just pop the meat in a pot (bag still on) and fill it with water from the instant hot...chicken defrosts in about 5 minutes and doesn't get those rubbery edges that the microwave creates.

• fern76
    15 years ago

I'm a big tea drinker also and I love mine, I mail ordered mine from COSTCO, it was very reasonable, but doesn't seem to have a brand name...works great!

the microwave simpy doesn't cut it for my tea and the teapot on the stove was fine, but uses a bit of energy everytime I need a cup/pot of tea. I really love my instant hot water faucet...

• muscat
    15 years ago

I have one, though it has only been a couple months, and I LOVE it. Mine is from Costco, maximum temp of either 190 or 200. It is one of my favorite new gadgets in the kitchen, and was worth every penny. I think it was about $200, after shipping? It may have been a little less. I have heard that they do not last long, but even if I have to buy a new one every 5 years, I'd do it. (Not that I'd want to, but....)

I think that they are just as energy efficient as a microwave or stovetop, if not better. For one thing, I dont think they *keep* water hot- I think the water is heated through coils in the unit, but I dont think it has to sit there all the time with a reserve of heated water. There much be SOME continual energy use, but I dont think it is much.

• rivendell
    15 years ago

I have it, but have to call a plumber. It keeps leaking under the sink when we use it and therefore not much comes out. Not sure what is wrong...

• suska6184
    15 years ago

We put in the Mountain Plumbing Little Gourmet with our remodel, and like so many above, I absolutely LOVE it!! I did not have one before, and now I can't imagine not having it. I use it multiple times every single day. If/when this ever dies, I will definitely need to have another ASAP.

• lascatx
    15 years ago

Mine is a Mountain Plumbing too. It's been great. I had one before and had missed it in 2 houses before our remodel. I almost didn't get it, thinking that I would not use it as much in TX as I did in northern CA. Hard to compare the use -- it's been some years in between, but I do use it a lot and am glad to have it. In addition to the uses above, it makes great iced tea very simple. I put 4 family size tea bags in a 4 cup pyrex and fill with the instant hot water. After it sits for a minute or two, I add that to cold water in my pitcher and I have a gallon if fresh iced tea with almost no time or effort. Faster than the sun tea I'd done for years and stays freasher too.

• jaksopcam
    15 years ago

Can anyone post a picture? This is the only thing my DH is insisting on (we had one in a previous house) in our new kitchen. I'm just not sure how nice it will look with my brand new sink and faucet! Although DH says it will look alot nicer than the dirty dishes he's sure will still continue to stay piled in the sink - LOL. But I swear, if I had a pretty new sink (thinking copper farmhouse) I'm sure I'd be cleaning those dishes right up!!!!!

• chrissiemw
    15 years ago

Here's a link for you to the insinkerator website.

They have a few different models/styles. Just click on "product selector" and it will bring up a table with the style and what finish they come in.

Sorry I don't have a real life pic...mine is out of comission right now as dh did not want to hook it up to our temporary sink.

It's the one thing I miss most in the kitchen though!

Here is a link that might be useful: insinkerator hot water dispensers