Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lina_2006

Sink w offset drain, garbage disposal and pull-out trash below?

lina_2006
15 years ago

I've searched the forum, but can't find anything.

I think I want this Julien sink, the model is 3830 - Undermount UrbanEdge®

1 bowl(s)

Bowl(s) Sizes: 30"x18"x10"

Overall Dimension: 31-1/2"x19-1/2"x10

Minimum Cabinet Width: 34"

The drain location is 4" from the top end and 4" from the left side.

I chose this offset drain so I could get the garbage disposal off to one side and have pull-out trash with preferably two decent-sized cans on the right hand side.

Is this feasible, does anyone have any pictures they could share?

Does anyone else make cheaper stainless sinks with offset drains?

A related question -is the sink too deep for an undermount and where should the faucet go - also offset or in the center?

Comments (9)

• chrissiemw
    15 years ago

we're planning this same set-up. I chose the blanco diamond super single because I wanted a single bowl sink with the drain off to the right side.

We will also have a disposal and a hot water tap on the right.

We planned it this way so we could free up the left side space for a garbage bin under the sink.

We are planning for a rev-a-shelf double 35qt system which should fit perfectly. I'm waiting till our granite and sink are in before we do that though.

On the other door I'm putting the rev-a-shelf sink base storage unit (holds dish soap, sponges..etc).

My sinkbase is going to be jam-packed with stuff and it will hopefully make life easier.

Here is a link that might be useful: trash bin

• lina_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, chrissiemw. I checked out your sink, and it certainly has a more reasonable price tag! I wonder if they make it in steel, or even if they have it with the drain on the left. Need to research what silgranit is, I only found white, metallic grey and anthracite.
    Thanks for the trash bin link, that is exactly what I want to do, but mount it to the door.

Here is a link that might be useful: Door mounted trash bin

• gizmonike
    15 years ago

We have a Julien sink, 36" wide, with the drain in the upper left hand corner. We have our garbage disposal & instant hot installed on the left hand side, completely freeing the right side. There we had a pullout installed that lets us use the entire right side for storage. Trash bins would fit, only we installed our trash pullout on the other side of our dishwasher, which is next to the sink.

Does the Urban Edge have the sharp 90-degree corners? We chose the Julien with the rounded inside corners, which are easy to clean.

• lascatx
    15 years ago

I did a KXC Matterhorn, similar size but with a center rear drain. We have a disposal, instant hot, mega soap bottle with the Never MT and two baskets with cleaning supplies, extra trashbags and such. We had planned on going with the Revashelf 2x27 quart pullout on one side, but the top of the containers came just below the sink. It was a little tight for fingers or having anything that might stick up a bit in the bins. Instead, we went with 2 bins that are larger but shorter and are not mounted on pullouts. We put one just inside either cabinet door turned sideways. I think it has worked out better.

• lina_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

gizmonike- I saw pictures of your sink and it (and your whole kitchen) look gorgeous. I went back to the Julien site after you mentioned the zero radius edges not being so easy to clean, but could not find anything with 36" wide and rounded corners with the left hand drain. Do you happen to recall your model number? Do you find yours is too deep? Does it scratch easily?
    I'm planning to use a Caesarstone countertop, so I feel it may be too deep for me (and the trash cans).
    lascatx -- I'll check out the KWC Matterhorn and other center rear drains. At first glance, it looks like KWC is less deep than the Julien. How does it work for you? Do you find it too deep? Got pics?

• overlyoptimistic
    15 years ago

Lina, If you go to the Julien.ca site, then look for the classics collection. 3480 and 3485 are what you're probably looking for.

You asked about other brands with corner drains, and there are a few. Franke makes one, but similar in price to Julien. Elkay also makes one, albeit smaller (see link below). The Elkay is quite a bit cheaper (~500).

We're probably going with the 3480 in our kitchen, although we're not set on the depth. We may get Julien to custom make one 7' deep. That is about $300 more than stock.

Here is a link that might be useful: Elkay sink

• gizmonike
    15 years ago

Yes, our Julien is part of the Classics collection, & is 9" deep. We had the sink welded to our stainless steel countertop, so the countertop doesn't add any height. We ordered the Julien grid, which comes as a set of 2; this is great because each is small enough to fit in our dishwasher and we can remove one while leaving the other in the sink. The grid makes the effective depth closer to 8" and it feels perfect. We've never used grids before (or a big single bowl), and the grids really add to the functionality and help protect the sink. I haven't noticed much scratching in the sink.

• lucypwd
    15 years ago

I don't get it. The Julien 3480 is a 30" sink not a 36" sink - is there a Julien 36" sink with off set drain AND rounded corners?

• gizmonike
    15 years ago

Yes: our sink is the Julien 3490, Classic collection, rounded corners, offset drain, undermount, SS grade .304, 16 gauge, dimensions 36" x 18" x 10", recommended cabinet width 40". I initially reported that this sink is 9" deep, but I was mistaken, that's with the sink grids. I don't find the depth to be too deep, but we don't have a thick countertop adding to the depth.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH