Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marthaelena_gw

Kitchen - Mudroom/laundry area

marthaelena
15 years ago

Please, could you help me with your opinions?

Thanks

Comments (2)

• Buehl
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

First off, it's tough to give opinions without more information. So...I'm assuming one or two children...plus parents.

I know you only asked for kitchen, Mudroom & Laundry areas, but I also looked at the Main bath (b/w the 2 BRs).

Kitchen: One problem w/both layouts is that all the traffic flows right through your kitchen...straight through the work areas (all of them!) if going toward the MBR or Morning Room. If going to the GR or other bedrooms, then it's not so bad...traffic should go south of the island and not interfere too much. (The red lines/arrows are traffic flows.)

I like the first one best. I suggest moving the refrigerator to the other end of the counter run to have the refrigerator closer to the main eating area (Morning Room, I assume).

Your MW should probably either go in the island on the north end or next to the refrigerator.

With the refrigerator & MW in the north end on the kitchen periphery, snackers will not interfere w/the kitchen work and both appliances are still readily available for cooking.

I'm not a big fan of sinks in an island, but it's far superior to having a range/cooktop in an island! I recommend at least an 18" overhang, 24" is even better, to cut down on splashing. With the sink (or anything) in the island, it does cut down on the "open expanse" of countertop for projects, homework, etc. that many people crave.

Mudroom: If you can fiddle w/the PR, etc. you might try the setup I show...with the PR recessed into the garage, the closet in that corner, and cubbies for backpacks, boots/shoes/sandals, hats, etc. where the old closet was. The downside is that it would take some room from your 3-car garage. The changed PR location may not work...it's highly dependent on dimensions, etc...especially around the stairs.

Laundry: I think I like it as-is

Main Bath (b/w the 2 BRs): I think if you replace the hall closet w/a linen closet inside the bath it will make it feel more spacious as well as give you a place for towels, supplies, etc. If you also use a pocket door, you increase the feeling of openness even more.

With the removal of the Guest Closet in the hall, you might consider changing the front of the house somewhat to fit a Guest Closet to the left of the front door and south of the DR. This would mean changing the front elevation....bumping the front door out further onto the porch...you could make the porch deeper there to compensate. You might consider having the porch run the length of the front of the house and maybe even wrap around to the side (personally, I love the look of a wrap-around porch!)

To get more "personalized" comments, I recommend you read the "Read Me" thread, especially where it talks about what information to provide if you would like layout help (see link below).

HTH!

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: Read Me If You're New To GW Kitchens!

• marthaelena
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

buehl
    How nice of you to work on my plan! Thanks a lot. I will be thinking of what you commented all day long!!!
    have a great day and thanks for the link