Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cloudbase_gw

Integrated Concrete Farmhouse/Prep Sink

cloudbase
11 years ago

I'll be making our countertops and sink for the new kitchen (not a huge undertaking, less than 35sqft of counter surface) out of concrete. A daunting task, to be sure, but I have significant background in casting (metal and clay) and ceramics and plaster work, so I know how to think in negatives and I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty.

If you're poising those typing fingers to dissuade me from doing this, I'll save you the trouble now. I understand all the pros and cons and it is the only material that is as customizable as I want it. Folks in the bathroom forum found out what happens when you try to discourage me from doing crazy over-the-top projects...10,000 hand painted glass tiles later, it's kitchen time.

I would like the wise cooks and kitcheneers in this forum to give me an honest technical assessment of this plan. What we're looking at is this:

36" wide "shorty" cabinet on which the sink will sit

Left basin is 19" square (so I can soak a cookie sheet) and will have a food disposal.

Right basin is 12" wide and 16 1/2" front to back.

Left side counter is a drainboard into the sink.

Right side counter has an inset cutting board (removeable) that slides over the little sink to reveal a hole in the countertop, underneath of which is the pull-out garbage can. So, veggies etc are washed in the little sink and then set on the cutting board that is on the right. When that step is done, the cutting board is slid to the left and chopping commences - and waste is easily tossed down the hole with no need for a garbage bowl or pulling the can out.

Two detail considerations: the bottoms of both sinks will be clad in copper (embedded in the concrete) so they're a little easier on dishes and the sink stays nice. The garbage hole in the counter will have a removable metal liner/flange that can be quickly rinsed when it gets icky (which it invariably will...my guy is a machinist so this is a super easy thing for him to make).

Again, we start with a Sketch-up model (forgive me for the simple shapes - the drainboard will have rails and the basins will be appropriately tapered). The concrete colors are not decided officially, I just made the counter black and the sink gray for ease of understanding the two units:

Comments (8)

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Pretty cool.

You seem to have it under control. The only question I'd have is if you're right or left handed. That determines a lot for me when I do things.

I find I prep next to the stove on the right, and my right, chopping elbow doesn't bump hot pans.
    I find I prep next to the sink on the left of it, where I can slide garbage into the bowl with the disposer in it.

Wish you were around me! I'd love to learn how to do this for my guest bath. I can't find any stone that speaks to me and have entertained the idea, but have no experience or courage!

I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures.

• twodogs_sd
    11 years ago

I like the idea. I can't tell if the following things are just because of the limitations of the sketching program (nor do I know if they are issues or just oddities I am calling out):

Along the top of the right side, you have the right-angle along the top that receives the cutting board. That may be a grunge catcher (and hard to clean out once grungy). I think you could have a rounded edge that would achieve the same purpose but be easier to keep clean, although I don't know if it's feasible with the material.

I didn't notice this initially, but now that I have, it bugs me more and more (and I am not sure I will describe this right). The right hand sink has that top piece, which puts it in a different plane. Furthermore, the left hand sink juts out while the right hand doesn't (a different vertical plane). As I said, those disparities didn't bug me initially, but I don't think they would even be noticeable if the top "plane" wasn't a darker color in your pics. I don't know if you intend to have 2 colors, but I might recommend you avoid it unless you wanted to call out those plane differences.

• User
    11 years ago

The only suggestions that I have for you is to practice, practice, practice. It's a lot harder than it looks on TV and your previous casting experience will only help so much as it's has much different properties than either metal or clay. Your experience there can actually bite you if you don't make several practice runs to get the mix and molds correct. You'll also need an actual concrete mixer if you don't want to end up with tendonitis and be out of commission for a year's time. (Experience talking here.) Harbor Freight has one for about $400 that will work great and that's better money spent than renting one for $200 for two weekends in a row and paying extra for having put integral colorant in the hopper. (It's a lot harder to get the color out, and they'll charge you extra to clean it.)

You'll also want to use the fibers to reinforce the concrete and the plasticisers to reduce the amount of water needed. Concrete shrinks when it cures, and you need all of that stuff to not have cracks develop and for it to have enough strength to support it's weight. It's also better logistics to divide the projects into distinct sections that can be actually handled and then just color epoxy them together in place. You don't have as much risk of cracking, or in getting a hernia.

Speaking of weight, a lot of cabinets may be able to handle granite weight, but concrete counters are typically thicker and heavier than granite, so you may want to look at re-inforcing them before you begin the project. Especially if they are the typical inexpensive box store style framed cabinets with the 1/8" back and 3/8" sides.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Looks like an absolutely miniscule amount of prep space, unless you have more counter to the right.

• bill102
    11 years ago

I question the size of the left basin. Nineteen square seems tight to me. My sink will be 18 x 27 single bowl which will handle a full size cookie sheet. If your largest pan is smaller than 19 square, I say go for it.

Bill

• bill102
    11 years ago

I question the size of the left basin. Nineteen square seems tight to me. My sink will be 18 x 27 single bowl which will handle a full size cookie sheet. If your largest pan is smaller than 19 square, I say go for it.

Bill

• cloudbase
    Original Author
    11 years ago

CEFreeman - All good considerations! The only change from what I'm used to working with now is that the drainboard is on the opposite side of the sink to where I'm used to setting my dishes. Since this is a new kitchen in a new apartment, I'll be adapting to everything else anyhow, so I don't forsee it being a problem.

Twodogs - All the features will be rounded so there are no "crud catchers" including rounding the cutting board to fit in the rounded lip on the counter. I could model it that way in the program, but I am lazy and it would take too long for what it's worth - sorry for the confusion.

I understand what you're describing about the different planes - it's the best compromise I could come up with to keep both my sliding cutting board and my apron front sink. It also simplifies the sink casting so that the complex lip edge is built into the countertop instead. I think of it as the apron announcing "this is the sink area" and the encroaching countertop on the right is just a fancy feature.

Hollysprings - Thanks for the informative post! I plan on doing four big pieces: the island, the sink, and the long run in two separate sections split by the sink. Our cabinets are being custom built out of quality plywood, and I had a long discussion with the cabinetmaker about considerations for the countertop - they are plenty sturdy.

Marcolo - I have a 12.5' run of base cabinets plus a little home plate shape next to the stove in the island (I am considering doing that spot in walnut butcher block - thoughts?). Here's the sink in context of the larger kitchen (with an older sink version, but you can see the garbage drop):

Bill - That's intense! You can wash a FULL sheet pan - industrial baking size. That wouldn't even fit in my oven. Standard cookie sheets (a "half" sheet pan - thanks Wikipedia!) are 18" long, so 19" should be plenty. The the interior of my oven is 24"x18" so it's feasible that I could buy and use a pan longer than 19", but that would probably be a once-a-year sort of thing (I use cookie sheets much, much, much more often).

A lousy picture of the delicious walnut veneer that will wrap around the slab frameless doors:

What's installed so far:

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    11 years ago

We had two concrete sinks made for our house by a concrete artist. I LOVE my concrete sinks. HOWEVER:

1) The sink for our upstairs bathroom does not really drain. You must be very carefully w/ getting the perfect slope for the drain and doing it in a way that still looks right when you are making your sink. The guy who made our sink has been doing concrete work for years and he may need to remake the sink because of this issue.

2) The sink in our kitchen is starting to discolor slightly. This is after one month of living here. We have softened water and two water filters (whole house). We barely cook, the sink is wiped out after every use AND our housekeeper thoroughly cleans the sink three times a week w/ all natural soap and water. And it is still discoloring. So, be aware. We don't really mind this b/c it is in the bottom of the sink and it is just turning a different brown (it is a sort of tan sink). But it is noticeable.