Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancymark111

Kitchen Plan--Please critique NYC small kitchen.

nancymark111
10 years ago

First time posting. Thank you for reading in advance.

I am planning on renovation a NYC small kitchen 11â x10â second floor 1200 sq ft apt. I am thinking of changing peninsula to an island, as shown below. And also like to put in refrigerator/cabinet/pantry against the wall in the dinning area ( in front of the bathroom) for storage. We use the small dinning room extensively, as well as all part of the apt :)

I couldn't figure out how to post several pictures. But there is a 40" hallway on the picture below leading to 2 bedrooms ( between the refrigerator on the left and the cabinet/ ventilation hood on the right).

We are a family of 4, children age 8 and 12.
Appliances I plan on having:
⢠free standing Rangetop with Oven
⢠MW: ? built-in, on the island
⢠DW: Standard
⢠Refrigerator : French door Counter-depth (CD)
⢠Ventilation Hood: Modernaire 36âÂÂ

This layout was done 12 years ago when I moved in:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xfipekc7c8ivz4r/FloorPlanFull.2001.pdf

new proposed layout:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cx66glexk0qjgzg/1.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cy9aj7sin67uljm/6.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/of7h3m837dgqs63/7.png

Here is a link that might be useful: old floor plan

Comments (6)

• springroz
    10 years ago

That is a HUGE kitchen! Very nice.

Nancy

• ppbenn
    10 years ago

Looks like a great use of the space. How much room is left for the dining area? Will you have overhang for bar stools at the island?

• rosie
    10 years ago

Hi, Nancymark. To start, you don't say what needs all these changes will meet. What functions are you hoping to improve over the original layout?

Very importantly, is there no way to work within the original footprint to get a kitchen that will function for you? What kind/amount of cooking does your family do?

Why do you want to move the refrigerator to the back wall of the dining area?

What will an island do for you that a peninsula would not? Or, why do you want an island?

Regarding your current proposed layout, on first glance it seems to miss achieving improved functionality, not only because the refrigerator is now back in the dining area, but because of the positions of the potential work surfaces in relation to the work triangle.

An efficient triangle would normally be defined by your movements from refrigerator to sink to stove--working within that triangle, but the island surface is outside that and so is that really nice counter space to the right of the sink.

It would be helpful to examine, right in the beginning, any assumption that a sink should/must be placed in front of a window. Why? What makes rinsing lettuce and dishes so much more special than drying lettuce, chopping onions, measuring spices, beating eggs, and so on and on? :)

• nancymark111
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rosie,
    Sorry for MIA. Thanks for thoughtful questions. You got me thinkingâ¦.. Here are my answers:

Hi, Nancymark. To start, you don't say what needs all these changes will meet. What functions are you hoping to improve over the original layout?

I wanted to create more cabinet space, so I moved the refrigerator and add pantry to the dining room.

Very importantly, is there no way to work within the original footprint to get a kitchen that will function for you? What kind/amount of cooking does your family do?
    Good point. I cook dinner daily from scratch. So I do use the kitchen extensively and we love to eat. We have friends over for dinner but nothing fancy.

Why do you want to move the refrigerator to the back wall of the dining area?

That was my way of creating more cabinet space. I also want to get CD refrigerator which means I donâÂÂt have enough space where it is now. My vent hood is going to be 36â instead of 30â ( what I have now).

What will an island do for you that a peninsula would not? Or, why do you want an island?

Currently there are 6 feet inside the U. I think I am wasting space there, I usually cook alone. With the island, I can move it closer to the range and create seating on the other side. In addition, I thought I can possibly put refrigerator at the end of L, ie sink, then DW, then counter depth refrigerator.

Regarding your current proposed layout, on first glance it seems to miss achieving improved functionality, not only because the refrigerator is now back in the dining area, but because of the positions of the potential work surfaces in relation to the work triangle.
    An efficient triangle would normally be defined by your movements from refrigerator to sink to stove--working within that triangle, but the island surface is outside that and so is that really nice counter space to the right of the sink.
    It would be helpful to examine, right in the beginning, any assumption that a sink should/must be placed in front of a window. Why? What makes rinsing lettuce and dishes so much more special than drying lettuce, chopping onions, measuring spices, beating eggs, and so on and on? :)

GOOD POINTS.

• rosie
    10 years ago

Well, bump mostly, for some new input.

Just for a start, how about, assuming keeping the island,

1. Doing your idea of putting a counter depth refrigerator, paneled, at the living room end of the long counter? Its bulk would help screen and "define away" the sink mess from the living area.

2. Turning the island so that it could be a bit longer and people sitting on the outside would not have their backs to the main living area? The shorter island gives nice work space, though, so this would mainly be extra counter and storage and more seating.

3. If you need storage, do some nice built-ins in the dining area, or even a furniture piece such as a sideboard holding canned goods instead of the holiday silver?

• nancymark111
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for the feedback.
    I will talk to KD and get back for another round later.