Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beeps_gw

Silgranit sink color for Alaska White granite?

beeps
11 years ago

In the ever-changing world that is my new build, I changed from the stunning Ice White granite to the gorgeous Alaska White. Very similar to Delicatus. (In fact they said the 3 slabs I picked were on hold after I had "purchased" them. Luckily the hold had expired and they were mine, but we were going to look at the Delicatus if the hold hadn't expired.)

The Alaska White seems to be varying some as the slabs I picked were more white and less creamy/gold than some other slabs there. The pics I took are horrible, it looks very gray and has much more warmth than that so I can't post any that help. And I'm in CA and the slabs are on their way to AZ. (Well, maybe not yet but in the next few days. I'll try to get up and get a couple more pics before they leave but that may not happen.)

So, all this to ask what color Silgranit sink goes well with the Alaska White granite? The builder insists I pick my color now rather that in a few months when I can get some actual samples of the Silgranit and have my designer in AZ take them to my slabs and see what works. Silly to tie me down now, but this builder is turning out to be pretty difficult and inflexible.

(And if I gave you the whole backstory about an agent mis-representing tons of stuff to me, and then abruptly quitting, and the builder not wanting to honor what legally an "individual acting as an agent of the company" represented to me, you'd understand why the builder is not budging with one single more thing with me. I have forced them to honor what she said even though they don't want to. So any further understanding/exceptions are out of the question. Sigh...)

My cabinets will be a deep brown with a black matte glaze. Flooring will be a color called Silver which isn't aluminum foil silver but a very silvery/gray. Fireplace will be a stunning brown tile with some metallic silver/gold areas. Oh, and stainless appliances.

So, as to sink color... I could probably do the Anthracite (black) - but I think that would be too much. The cafe brown might work, but I'd sure like to see a sample of it with my slabs. I adore the metallic gray and think that or the brown would be best. I'm not so much a fan of the lighter colors, although the taupe would probably work also.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Comments (16)

• brianadarnell
    11 years ago

I have the same granite and ended up going with siligranit in biscuit. I love it. Other colors that could have worked were the anthracite gray and the truffle. The slabs vary alot so it is hard to know without seeing yours. Truffle would have worked for me, but it wasn't out in time for my installation and my DH refused to do a dark sink. No staining or maintenance issues with the biscuit. we are very happy with it.

• User
    11 years ago

Blanco will send you samples pretty quick. Mine came in a week. If you call them, you might get them sooner.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

I looked seriously at AW also. Briana's slabs are some of the prettiest Ive seen. I, too, prefer the lighter slabs like hers. I love the pic of her biscuit sink, but IRL I didn't like biscuit so much. I also didn't like the anthracite either. Too dark and the coloring too 'thin' for me.

I installed two of the metallic grays. Here's my prep sink, but I have to say that I've struggled with capturing the exact coloring of the sink on camera.

After seeing how beautiful the metallic is, I know it would have complimented the AK slabs I liked. BUT...slabs vary so much that it may not work with every variation of AK. Not being able to see your actual slabs makes it more challenging to pick a sink color now. The brown would also work of you want to go darker. I saw a truffle sink once. Very pretty also and could work for a lighter choice if you have enough mushroomy tones in your slabs.

I second the recommendation of calling Blanco for color chips. Mine came very quickly and helped a lot when looking at stone.

Sorry you're dealing with such a a$$hole builder. The prices is stressful enough without adding that type of personality I to the mix. Good luck!

• beeps
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for giving me things to think about - including calling for sample chips! Silly me I hadn't even thought of that!

My AW is light, and yes it has white, cream, lots of mushroomy mica, and black. It goes very well with my silvery floor, although as you say the slabs vary a lot because my flooring looked horrible with two other slabs of AW that had much more cream and gold in them.

I'm thinking now the brown wouldn't be a good choice as it might clash with the cabinets. The taupe would probably work, but I didn't fall in love with it when I saw it. The biscuit does look great in your photo Briana, but I was leaning away from it as someone said it was too pink. (I think maybe that was with Bianco Antico, however, which was the choice of the moment for me a week ago.) The sample I saw didn't seem to have pink tones to it and it does look good with Brianna's AW. I'm think leaning gray because there is a lot of metallic in my slabs and when I saw the grey sample at another store a week or so ago I kind of fell in love with it. I have a floor sample so may take it to where I can see the sink colors and see how that works. I think that may be best.

I just called for samples but they close at 3 Eastern Time so will have to call first thing Monday. Hopefully the samples will arrive before my slabs leave! And hopefully I can get the builder to chill for another week or so. The sink won't be installed before... oh, October or November!! Calm the heck down builder. :)

Thanks again for the help!

• nanj
    11 years ago

brianadarnell, when you say your Silgranit doesn't stain, does that mean at all? Or do the stains, like from tomato based dishes, come out? I have white Soapstone, which I hate, because tomato paste, etc, stains it. Cleaning with Comet or Clorox Clean Up removes the stains. But I think the sink gets dingy looking after just a day or two.
    Thanks!

• brianadarnell
    11 years ago

Glad you are getting the blanco samples. Also get a chunk of you slab to view in different lights. It's amazing how warehouse lights differ. I looked at some BA that was very pink. I can see how that would be an issue but no pink here.

Btw- we had a terrible building experience and literally just got our silt fence removed yesterday after being in the house for nearly a year. It was the last reminder of our builder who fled the scene long ago. If you're sink isn't being installed until then- your builder should be worried about much bigger things!! And you should tell him so!

• brianadarnell
    11 years ago

Nanj- I guess we posted at the same time. My sink doesn't stain at all. Tomato stains from sauce rinse right off. I know what you mean though bc my mom was a white corian sink and her sink does stain and she has to use Clorox to remove it. I only use Barkeepers friend if I gets really dark scratch and it comes right out

• beeps
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Briana - I've told my builder a lot of things... enough so that I've been advised to make sure I hire my own inspector to keep an eye on things. :) I live out of state so can't be breathing down their necks.

I asked for a piece of my slab the other day and was told I couldn't get one, that my sales guy would get in trouble if he knocked a small corner off. They have samples but all the AW samples looked nothing like my slabs. All had a lot of green in them... interestingly. I think I'll check again to see if he can get me a small sample Monday - when I hope to get back to get some pics with my digital camera if the slabs are still here. Hopefully pics with my digital will be better than my new Droid Razr which seems to have a lousy camera. :( Or maybe I just don't have it really figured out yet. :*)

• new_to_sc
    11 years ago

Beeps,

We have Alaska White with a Silgranit sink in the truffle color and love it! The sink color looks like it was made for the granite.

• NewSouthernBelle
    11 years ago

beeps - I think you need to decide if you want the sink to stand out or blend in but if you know you already don't like light colors than that leaves anthracite, brown, truffle, and metallic gray. If you were willing to go the lighter route but not white, then add in biscuit and biscotti.

I wanted my sink to blend in rather than standout. So I did biscotti but I *REALLY* liked truffle, which was my second choice but like I said, I didn't want my sink to draw attention to itself. My granite is Colonial Cream, which probably has more cream and less black than AW. I think AW would look great with truffle or metallic gray. Here's a picture of my biscotti sink for your reference.

• beeps
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the help, suggestions, and things to think about. And pictures! It sounds like I could probably do any of the colors and they would work. I guess I do need to think about wanting the sink to stand out or not. Probably not. Why draw attention to the dirty dishes sitting in it?! (= The truffle does look like a perfect match, and your CC and biscotti is beautiful.

I'll guess I'll have to wait until I can see more items together, or until my designer can because some decisions will have to be made without me. But not without my input! The metallic gray might be great, or maybe not given my floor will be silver. The brown I'm afraid may be too dark. I'm not really doing much black so probably not that even though I love black. I guess I'm back to the lighter choices. And was I not thinking darker when I started this thread? Now you understand why I'm driving my poor designer crazy. :)

• abctate
    11 years ago

My mom and i both recently installed the same sink. She did biscuit ( with her venitian gold lite granite) and i did metalic grey ( with my india copper brown granite that look black.) I might add that my island granite is white delicatus. I love the metallic. My mom just told me today she likes hers when clean but it always takes extra effort.

• Owenswifey
    11 years ago

Breezy I swoon over your kitchen! It looks fabulous and thank you for sharing! Can you tell the brand and make of your prep sink faucet? Do you have the same one on your kitchen faucet?
    Love the island top....is it walnut?

Thanks again!

• PRO
    Marbella Granite & Marble
    9 years ago

I can't believe your builder told you you couldn't get a sample of your actual slab! We always, always provide a piece of the actual slab they are getting if the customer needs to match to tile, sink, cabinets, etc.

• Dany
    9 years ago

We have Alaska White and the silgranit colour is truffle.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio