Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dreamgoddess_01

Need help finishing my kitchen remodel

dreamgoddess
14 years ago

For the last couple of months, we've been working on remodeling our kitchen as we have time. I've run into a problem in this area and can't seem to come up with a solution.

Right now, my computer desk is sitting in the kitchen. I want to move the desk into my living room and put in a set of upper and lower cabinets beside the hoosier cabinet. The problem is that the counter tops on my cabinets are one of the few things we aren't replacing. New counter tops are definitely not in the budget, so they can't be replaced just to be able to put in another set of cabinets on this side of the room.

I've found an enamel work top online from an old hoosier cabinet that perfectly matches the work top on mine. I had considered buying it to use as a counter top for the new cabinets, but I'm just not sure that's what I'd like to have on the cabinets.

Does anyone have any suggestions for anything else I could use to make a counter top? Ideas are greatly appreciated as I really need to add some more cabinet space in the kitchen.

Comments (10)

• hestia_flames
    14 years ago

It would help us to know what configuration you are thinking of for the cabinets. Do they need to be uppers and lowers? Have you thought about a built in pantry? Also, how deep is the space from the doorway molding to the wall? I am not sure that a standard 24" base would fit there. Would you consider a more shallow "uppers on top of uppers" look? Do you want the cabinets going all the way to the ceiling? I posted a link to a kitchen who has some ideas that I think that you could use, 3rd photo down, especially. Trav86 used Ikea boxes with doors from another company. More affordable this way for you. I think you could also continue the use of butcher block (you can find it very reasonable at Ikea.)

You could also look around for remnants of Soapstone. They are diy with wood cutting tools.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trav86 kitchen

• dreamgoddess
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the link to the kitchen photos. I do like how the butcher block looks with those cabinets.

I had originally debated putting just an upper cabinet over the desk, but I really do need upper and lower cabinets. The space from the cased opening to the wall is 23", but I don't think this would be a problem as my husband is a carpenter and could build the cabinet bases. He could make them small enough to fit in the space. Then I would order the doors from the same company I got the others from.

I probably wouldn't have them going all the way to the ceiling as the cabinets on the other side of the room don't go all the way up.

I did consider having him build a pantry here, but I already have one pantry in the kitchen on the wall next to the hoosier cabinet. I wasn't sure how it would look having two pantrys in the room. Here's a photo showing the pantry I have now.

• vasue VA
    14 years ago

Dreamgoddess, what a delightful kitchen & dining room - you should be very proud of all you've accomplished! Is a match or near-match to your current counters not possible or not desired? Are they wood like the island, or?

Looks like you can use any material from Victorian times to the 40's (or any convincing imitation of one) if you prefer historic mode. Stone, marble, zinc, copper, wood come to mind. A raw countertop, exterior or marine plywood can be covered in sheet copper, zinc or lineoleum with a little work. We did that once with copper in a Victorian kitchen add-on to a colonial house. Found the copper at a scrap yard, but you could ask a roofer who uses copper to sell you some shorts or sheath a counter for you or find a willing metalworker.

My husband made a tabletop from tongue & groove oak flooring. I picked up a marbletop coffee table at a yard sale once for $10 just for the marble to use in a baking area. I see stone & all kinds of counters often on craigslist here & a city an hour away. Usually left-overs from a job offered by the homeowner or tradesmen, more common lately in this economy. There's also freecycle & local groups, Habitat for Humanity showrooms, and maintenance departments of labs & colleges & such who know what's about to be removed for modernization. Kitchen design & builder's showrooms swap out their displays & sell the old ones. Those in the business of kitchen installation sell the kitchens they've torn out & hauled off (if the homeowners don't advertise it beforehand). Ask around...

I'd be tempted to pick up the identical match to your Hoosier, especially if it's inexpensive. Even if you don't use it for the countertop proper, it might make a great breadboard-type pull out for the cupboards you're contemplating (or a worktable elsewhere). But I'm a big fan of long breadboard pull-outs to double counterspace anyway, and the strategic location next to the dining room would make it a great stage for desert and coffee waiting in the wings.

Basically anything fairly straight & sturdy can be used for a countertop, right? More delicate surfaces can always be protected with a sheet of glass as are furniture tops. I bet you're resourceful & will come up with many more possibilities once you get started! And a good brainstorm doesn't cost a dime.

• dreamgoddess
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Vasue, thank you for the kind words! My DH and I have worked really hard in the kitchen and dining area. It's a vast improvement over how it did look.

Unfortunately matching my existing countertop isn't an option. I wish I could! I would even settle for finding a near match for it. The counter top that I have is a pale pink color. I know most people say "yuck, pink counter tops!", but I love it. I've had the counter top for many years and it still looks good, plus I love the color. The best I can remember it's Formica.

I would love to use the top of the cabinets for a coffee station and baking area. I love your idea of using the marble from a coffee table for the baking area! I had the perfect piece too...it was an old oval shaped piece of marble from a coffee table used on an old sewing machine stand. I had bought it at an antique shop years ago, and sold it last year in a yard sale. I could kick myself now! I'll have to be on the lookout for another piece that I might could use.

I also like the idea of using the enamel work top as pullout counter space. It would absolutely be perfect for desserts as you suggested!

I hadn't thought of checking CL for anything to use. I'm going to start looking there to see what might be available.

Thank you so much for the suggestions! You've given me alot to consider.

• vasue VA
    14 years ago

Your pink counters sound luscious, dreamgoddess - please share! Googled "pink formica" & turned up lots. Seems Formica still makes a pale pink called Heather (link below) that's available elsewhere but not on its USA website? May want to track that down. British magazines lead me to suspect their readership still loves garden colors, so it may just be a popular demand issue here in the States.

Posting on craigslist is free. You might post under Materials/Furniture/General/Household categories as well as Wanted. Seems a number of people have the pink formica now & are asking how to paint it, so there may be a countertop/desktop/tabletop out there with your name on it if you don't locate the new (or old stock) to apply to your counter.

I've noticed many times that when I get rid of something, I find the perfect use for it immediately afterwards. May be another of Murphy's Laws. Agree the pullout would be much better for desserts than for deserts (lol). Happy to help spark your search for what will make your heart sing!

Here is a link that might be useful: Heather Formica

• vasue VA
    14 years ago

Looking again this morning, see there's a Cameo Pink & bet that's what you have. Also a Magnolia that may be pink.

Cameo Pink F5491 Magnolia K1962

Seems all the colors aren't shown on every chart...

Here is a link that might be useful: Cameo Pink

• dreamgoddess
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Vasue, you are amazing! How in the world did you find those colors??? I've googled pink formica for ages and couldn't find any!!

I'm really loving the Heather, but it might be just a shade too bright. I think the Cameo might be closer to what I have now.

Here's a photo showing the countertop in my kitchen.

I can't wait to show these to my husband and see what he thinks about them! Oops, I looked at these again...are these colors in the US or Europe?

• toomuchstuph
    14 years ago

dreamgoddess, your kitchen is lovely and definitely shows a personal flair and talent!

Another thought I had re: Craigslist is Corian. I know that Corian makes a shade of pink because there is/was a member here who had it!

Often on our local CL I'll see lots of scraps and off cuts of corian/caesarstone, etc offered for sale. They'll generally just list a contact name and not list the colors or sizes they have available (which makes sense since they may well have 100s!) You may want to see if any of these post on your local CL. Give them an email and see if they have anything in the pink family.

Given that you'll be working on the other side of the kitchen, even a white would work nicely IMO. Or possibly a butcher block to match your island top?

• dreamgoddess
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I looked at the Corian website and all I saw was Arctic Strawberry. I bet it would be really pretty with lights shining on it, but I couldn't find it on the page to order samples. Wonder if they've discontinued it??

I'm checking CL to see if I can find anything, but nothing yet.

Oh and I almost forgot! It was like fate...my mother called me today. She had bought a small marble top coffee table several years ago and one of the legs had broken off. She never bothered to get it repaired, not even sure if it would have held up to the weight of the marble after repairs. Anyway, she asked me if I wanted it! If not she was going to throw it away. Of course I said YES!! I told her not to dare throw it away. I can use the piece of marble on top of the cabinet when I get the new one. Since it's small, I think about 20" at the widest part of the oval, it will be perfect for a baking area to roll out doughs.

• toomuchstuph
    14 years ago

Great score on the marble top dreamG!

For the corian, I noticed a color called Primrose. If you search google images with the term Corian Primrose you'll see some samples. Depending on who has posted it, it runs anywhere from a rosy beige to a definite pink. I don't know if it's still offered -- but might be worth a call to a fabricator or two to see if they have any off-cuts available.

I saw the arctic strawberry but suspect it is in a price group that is going to make it a bit pricey. Might be worth a call though! The Strawberry Ice looks interesting too.

Depending on where you're located, it might be worth stopping into a place that represents a number of different countertop lines. There are so many companies out there that you might come across something that no one here has even thought of.