Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ironcook

Hmm... Stainless Steel Cleaning REVISITED

ironcook
12 years ago

Hi Everyone...

I read the recent thread (linked below) about cleaning stainless steel appliances, and a few people mention using paper towels.

But when I looked at the manual for my new stainless steel range hood last night, it says in BOLD and CAPITAL letters:

DO NOT USE PAPER TOWELS TO CLEAN STAINLESS STEEL.

I dunno, just thought I'd toss that out there. My hood is 18 gauge stainless, fwiw.

Thoughts?

Here is a link that might be useful: Recent thread on best way to clean stainless steel

Comments (5)

• Fori
    12 years ago

I dunno. I used Windex and paper towels on my stainless range hood (monogram brand). I'd try it on a secret spot. Maybe there is a smudgeproof wax on it or something.

• biochem101
    12 years ago

I use papertowels (and spray cleaner). Or a microfiber dishcloth (hot water and dish liquid). Or a sponge. Depends on the mess and what I have in my hand at the time.

I didn't read the other thread.

Papertowels have not scratched my hood or fridge. Maybe if they are recycled brown ones with tree bits in them?

My fridge is GE. If the directions say that I never read them. :) Oh well!

• ginny20
    12 years ago

I use paper towels and Easy Off brand Stainless Steel polish on my frig and DW. That doesn't mean it's correct - just what's easy. Probably a microfiber cloth or old dishtowel would be better and more eco-friendly. Thanks for the warning, though. I'll check my hood manual when it goes in.

• plllog
    12 years ago

I'm guessing, but I bet the caution about paper towels is about scratching. Paper is notoriously scratchy. If you have a satin or brushed finish you probably would never know.

What I can't find is a good recommendation for cleaning the stainless inside of an oven. The outsides come clean with warm water and a soft rag. The insides however, and I have two of these things, are becoming harder to clean, especially around the convection fans. And of course the contortions on the step stool to even reach are worthy of an animated feature as well. :( What to do?

• ironcook
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's me again... :)

Thank you for the replies. I spent a lot of time reading up on cleaning stainless steel via google. It's crazy-making!!!

I did use the formula of rubbing alcohol, water and essential oil that was suggested in the thread I linked to in the original post. It worked well, but I'm still concerned with how safe it is long-term on the stainless.

fori... my manual also says ammonia is a no no. Doesn't Windex have ammonia? Like I said, crazy-making. Maybe I should just use spit polish?

plllog... I remember you have chemical sensitivity. Are you able to use baking soda to make a cleaning paste?

One thing that I read today is that Arm & Hammer Oven Cleaner is declared "non-toxic" by Consumers Union, for whatever that's worth. I read it here at eartheasy.com.

I've wondered about cleaning the convection fan area. My oven isn't installed yet.