Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akl_vdb

Is this right, or not?

akl_vdb
10 years ago

Is this trim kit installed properly, or should it be flush with the cabinet? Thanks!

Comments (11)

• katy-lou
    10 years ago

Pretty sure it's supposed to be flush

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, I think so too. The carpenter made us the little cabinet, so I'm not sure where the problem happened.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Can you point out the issue? Everything looks fine to me.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

You should be able to check the install directions online, might need to be like that though I have absolutely no idea.

• jakuvall
    10 years ago

You have an overlay panel on the face. Those are used so that the face lines up with the face of the door. It is a standard type of installation. The alternative is no overlay and then use wider rails and stiles since the opening is narrower. That is also a standard installation. So either way is correct.
    Some micros have much sower trim kits in which case the overlay would always be preferable. I always prefer using the overlay (when I can get it) to get a clean line at the edge of the cabinet.
    To me not having that plain even with the door looks cheap, perhaps because it is only with lesser brands that an overlay is not available.

Of course with custom it is possible to do a combination of the two- an overlay and them recess the micro trim but honestly that is overkill- I have never seen it done, would only arrange it by special request, would be an upcharge.

• sail_away
    10 years ago

I assume you're asking about the microwave trim kit. It looks right to me. If you look up instructions, I'm sure you will see that it is made to attach that way.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good idea with the instructions. Thanks.

• bowyer123
    10 years ago

Mine sticks out like yours and looks fine. I never really noticed but it seems correct to me.

• jakuvall
    10 years ago

Bowyer's is done without an overlay panel but since those are partial overlay doors that would be the preferred method.

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

I don't understand. Are you saying the metal trim and the MW are botth supposed to be set deeper in the cabinet for this door style?
    Can someone post a picture showing the preferred way?
    Thanks.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was wondering if the metal trim should be flush with the cabinet. The carpenter said could be if he trimmed the cabinet. I'm also adverse to anything new :) so it takes me a while to get used to things.

I just looked up the installation instructions, and it does look right the way it is. I guess I didn't really look to see what I was getting, I just wanted a nice shallow microwave and that's the trim that goes with it! Thanks for all the help and advice!