Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Is one 3-inch pull too tiny for 30-inch wide drawers?

Stacey Collins
14 years ago

Well I FINALLY found some hardware I like, after much searching (Hickory Hardware Rotterdam pulls and plain knobs) but the pulls only come in a 3" c/c size. My main dish storage is in a bank of 30" wide drawers. Will one of the 3" pulls both look right, and work right, for those drawers?

I can't bear to drill the holes and then find out I am wrong!

Comments (18)

• kateskouros
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

i think that's a little small. maybe you can cut 3" strips of painters tape indicating one pull and then use two strips on another drawer to see how they look? i hope someone will chime in with better advice for you as i'm all too familiar with your plight from my last reno!

• peggross1
    14 years ago

Or, you could use two pulls for all your longer drawers.

(I agree 3" pulls are too small to use centered and all alone.)

Here is a picture with 3" pulls on 12.5" drawers, with a 6" pull on a dishwasher next to it.

Here is a 30" drawer (make sure yours is deep enough to be able to store your biggest spoons, like your soup ladles, etc.). It has a 6" pull and the drawer next to it is 18" with a 4" pull.

You might try posting a picture of the pull you like and see if anyone has seen something similar elsewhere in larger sizes. (although in my experience, Restoration Hardware is the only place that offered many size options)

Good luck!

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah, I was afraid of that :(

It was soooo hard to find a style I liked! Actually, I did like some of the Restoration hardware stuff but I think they were all way out of my budget. The Hickory ones I found are only $2.50 each on line. I found similar ones at local shops but they were all too curvy or too old-fashioned looking. I liked how this one straddled classic and modern...

I do prefer ONE pull to two, though. So I guess I need to find 6" ones? Maybe 4"? Drat! Drat! Drat!

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I went to Restoration Hardware's site. yeah, I LOVE the Bistro pulls and your Ephraim ones, smarge, but at $18.00 there's just no way.

DH came home from work tongiht and told me his job is making everyone take TWO UNPAID WEEKS off work this summer, they're so slow. This is a major blow to us and putting a huge crimp on the house reno :( Don't think I can justify $18 pulls right now...

• rayrose
    14 years ago

You might also try myknobs.com.

• shanghaimom
    14 years ago

ok, OT I know but....Smarge has the most interesting stuff on her (beautiful marble) countertop! WHAT is the orange stuff in the ziploc bag? And the flat eggy-looking stuff next to the serrated knife? And the greenish flat jello-y looking stuff on the white plate?

Love those Ephram pulls, and I am so glad to see them ON some cabinetry. They were my tentative first choice, and now there is no doubt in my mind--thanks so much for sharing the photo, Smarge.

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am going to guess: grated cheese in the ziplock, lettuce on the plate, and I was going to say tortillas next to the serrated knife but now I am now so sure! :)

I just want to say how impressed I am that she has all that stuff on her MARBLE countertop. I am still being waaaaaay too careful with mine. I really have to get over that.

I am trying to justify the Ephraim pulls with DH right now. (He doesn't like the Cafe ones, go figure...)

Myknobs.com didn't have any I really liked. I got the Hickory Hardware ones on Knobs4Less, but they only come in a 3" size, grrrrr!!!!!DH is suggesting we use two of the 3" ones on the larger drawers. Might that work?

• shanghaimom
    14 years ago

I have always thought it looks very nice to do two pulls on larger drawers, and this is what I plan to do. I kind of like having all the pulls the same size. It is hard to justify the big price difference, if you have found some 3" ones you really like.

You are right, I think that is cheese for sure. What a good dog. Ours would be up on that counter in two seconds.

some drawers with two pulls:

• lowspark
    14 years ago

Is one 3-inch pull too tiny for 30-inch wide drawers?

In a word, no. I have three inch pulls on my 27", 30" and 33" drawers. Looks fine. Works fine. Today's drawer slides do not need extra long pulls or two pulls on wide drawers. If you like the look of two pulls, do that. Otherwise, I like having only one pull, and a three incher at that, on my drawers.

• lexluthor
    14 years ago

You can put a 3" pull on a 30" drawer. It'll work fine and, to me (I did it) looks fine too.

To me, the debate is between a 3" pull and a larger pull. Once you go to 2 pulls, you have to use 2 hands (or maybe put extra pressure on the drawer if you use pull only one of the pulls that isn't centered).

It's all what looks best to you.

• vasue VA
    14 years ago

I prefer two pulls on larger drawers, too. Like your solution, smarge - it would just never have occurred to me! But I'm used to dealing with older drawers that required two pulls to open & close easily when loaded. Newer drawers often don't need that, but I still have that picture engraved in my brain of tugging on drawers.

Do you have lots of wide drawers, staceyneil? If not, may still be economical to double up the smaller handles. If you go with all wider central handles, how will that look on the smaller drawers? Unless you can find a style you like that comes in various widths & doesn't stretch the budget.

AND I have just a 1-1/2" knob centered on my 33.5" dish drawer & others like it with no troubles opening or closing. Identical knobs on all cabinets here - drawers & doors. Looks sleek how the knobs line up everywhere & works just fine. The knobs don't read as dinky/undersized. So your 3" pulls centered on all the drawers may look & work well. Like the painter's tape trick!

• peggross1
    14 years ago

Sorry for the unintentional mystery everyone! I have been clearing my counters and taking pictures to try to be helpful on several threads on GW and got tired of it, so I figured what the heck, I'm actually living here, right!

Anyway, my marble island is in it's 12 month of use and was etched practically on day one, and weekly since then. After my daughter shook the Tropicana OJ jug (the one that USED to be 64 oz that they redesigned with a fancy flip lid that isn't easy for kids to get to fully close) and OJ flew all over the island, I gave up with babying and use it almost without care. Cheeseburgers were on the menu last night.

Anyway, you who guessed cheese are right; it is grated cheddar. The plate is one of Villeroy & Boch "Design Naif" patter. There actually isn't anything on it but the painted scene. This pattern is actually a quaint set of six different scenes on each plate. I'll show you a pic with all 6 scenes to satisfy any curiosity.

On the black meat tray is some unused raw burger meat that I ended up making my dogs do tricks for after dinner.

There are a couple knives and, yes, a tape measure since I was getting info to answer someone's question about the dimensions of something on my island.

To the right you see some thin slices of bread that I threw out. I used Zomick's challah rolls for our burger buns and they are a bit high. To make them easier for my son to eat a burger in, and to make them slightly less carb-ful for myself and husband, I sliced out the middle.

To the right of that is what's left of a large, delicious tomoato that I made a sliced tom/mozz/basil salad with. I know, horrifying that a cut tomato would be on my marble. However, we're planning to have the island honed this summer due to all the etching it has received, so it sort of doesn't matter too much.

Sorry for the hijacking this thread!!!!

OP - a couple of things. First, RH often has sales. If you can wait it will be well worth it! Second, buy MANY more pieces of hardware than you think you will need. Lucky for me that there is a RH store near me bc I kept having to go back, at least 5 times, to get more. I counted with my installer, three times, before shopping and bought one extra of each. Some went missing, some were defective, a few were the wrong finish and labled wrong - stuff happens. The good thing about RH is that they have a wonderful return policy. The bad thing about possibly less expensive other retailers, especially online retailers, is that they may only give store credit or may charge a restocking fee, plus online you have to pay shipping to make a return.

Also, buy a sample of whatever you are leaning toward before committing fully. Sometimes what you see and what you hold and feel are two different things.

Last, yes RH was a bit expensive, although I saw much more expensive as well. But, they had the variety of sizes I wanted and they feel wonderful and are very well made.

FWIW, I found some bin pulls on ebay that worked fine for a mudroom bench we made. Up close they are relatively a bit cheap looking, but they are functional and look fine from a distance.

Best of luck to you!!! Feel free to ask any questions if I can be helpful! Time for me to payback GW for all the amazing help I found here!

• msgreatdeals
    14 years ago

Here is a picture of my 30" drawers with 3" pulls as recommended by Thomasville.
    {{gwi:1908359}}

• shanghaimom
    14 years ago

smarge, thanks for clearing up the mystery. And I LOVED seeing the counters in use!!! (o: The unrelated, colorful items were kinda like an I-Spy memory game.

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your help, everyone!

We decided to get the Restoration Hardware Ephram pulls (smarge, are yours Satin Nickel? That is what I am ordering. Scared of fingerprints on the polished nickel!)

What finally tipped the balance was that they had an 8" pull as well. I am using a GW-ers tip (sorry, can't remember who it was!) and putting a wide pull on my trash cabinet, on which I'll hang my dishtowel. My new range's handle is too low to put the towek there -my normal place for it- and I was wondering where it would go. On the trash bin is a GREAT idea, since then wet/messy hands can grab the towel, not the pull. Yay!

We also used another GW-ers tip and laid out the handles and knobs in painters tape on the cabinetry this morning. What a FANTASTIC way to really visualize sizes and placement!! Another fabulous GW idea!

OK, off to place my order on line. I hope it doesn't take forever, I am tired of living out of boxes and want to put stuff away!

• peggross1
    14 years ago

staceyneil - yes, mine are satin nickel. I actually use my 6" pulls for folded towels. I use them on the DW, which is a bit of a pain since it has to be removed (or wind up on the floor) when the DW door is opened. The trash pullout is a good idea!

• jacy
    14 years ago

The pulls I'm looking at only come in 3-3/4" and 5" centers. My standard DW will have a custom panel -- any suggestions on whether the smaller or larger pull would be advisable? If I go with the 5", it would be the only pull that size in the entire room, unless I went with 5" pulls on everything.

This hardware decision is driving me crazy.