Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newsouthernbelle_gw

She's done - backsplash, grout and ALL! Grey and White Kitchen

NewSouthernBelle
11 years ago

First, thank you GWers for all your help. I know I have a better kitchen b/c of this forum. I hope I can give back to the next wave of renovators b/c I was definitely helped and encouraged along the way.

The majority of the kitchen remodel was completed at the end of March (It only took 5 months total - I was planning on 6 months) but getting the focal point tiles for behind my cooktop was an ordeal so the backsplash went up last Saturday and they grouted yesterday! That was the last thing so I am ready to post pictures. (Well now that I think about it, I'm still waiting for the bar stools and keeping room couch to be delivered but I am really hoping any day now.)

You can see "original" before pictures and the before but painted pictures by clicking the link below but since we took down the wall the sink was originally on and added 14' x 16', it's hard to even decipher how the before and after pictures relate. If you are curious though, the old breakfast room became the keeping room and the weird jut between the cooktop wall and the microwave all is where the original exterior wall came down.

Keeping Room - couch will go on left wall (duh) and 4 dark brown leather chairs will be at the island.

The island is basically the size of a small ship so I feel like the captain at the helm when I am at the sink.

Storage on the backside of the island.

My side of the island - I prep in front of the 3-stack and my knives are in the top of the 4-stack of drawers. My cutting boards are in a 3'' opening between the stacks of drawers - so convenient!

The main part of my backsplash tile that I feel in love with a year ago. It was my "heart sing" tile.

Colonial Dream or Colonial Cream granite. I also fell hard for this too.

Pop-up outlet by Mockett - learn about it on GW of course!

Porcelain Floor Tile by Casa Dolce Casa in Velvet Ecru - 24'' x 24''. I love that it is warm but still has grey in it to match the island and backsplash.

Bar and ice maker:

Across from the bar is the Pantry with Elfa shelving from Container Store. Oh and the Breville oven we couldn't have lived without during the remodel and temporary kitchen set up:

The Details and some more commentary:

Granite - Colonial Dream (sometimes called Colonial Cream)

Cabinets - Maple, frameless made by GC. He outsources the doors though - raised panel with a certain edge profile and panel profile I picked.

Wooden Hood - made by my GC

Hood Liner - 42'' Vent-a-hood with two blowers

Perimeter Cabinet Color - Sherwin Williams Dover White

Island Cabinet Color - a custom stain made by the cabinet door people

Island Dimensions - 10' 2'' by 5' 2'' big side and narrows along a curve to 33'' on the small side. (It's BIG but I love it. No regrets at all. When I'm at the sink, I am like a captain at the helm)

Hardware - Maker: Top Knobs Nouveau III Collection, Hidra M1128, Finish: brushed nickel, smaller ones ctc 3 3/4, larger ones M1131 ctc 5 1/16th

Floor - 24'' x 24'', Casa Dolce Casa in Velvet Ecru

Recessed Lights - CREE 5'' LED light - so AWESOME - we just love them!

Under Cabinet Lights - LED light bars from Envirnomental Lights.com but I am not sure exactly what ones we got. This is one of only three decisions the DH had to make.

Pendant lights - classic, mercury glass from RedBarnMercantile.com (can find them lots of places though)

Wall Color - BM Colorado Gray (looks more blue in the pictures than it is - IRL it's more subtle and grey)

Keeping Room Color - BM Plymouth Rock (a great warm grey)

Blanco Silgranit sink in Biscotti - 1 and 3/4 bowl (love Blanco silgranit - maybe not the small second bowl though)

Kohler Forte Faucet with side sprayer (my old side sprayer was better, so I'm a little disappointed/frustrated)

Soap Dispenser - Delta Faucet RP50781SS Gala, Soap/Lotion Dispenser Assembly, Stainless off Amazon

Appliances:

KitchenAid DW - stainless steel 60's model

Samsung Fridge (already had it)

KitchenAid Convention Oven

KitchenAid warming drawer with wood panel (it's in the middle under the cooktop)

DCS 5-burner gas cooktop (pretty awesome, especially for the price)

Microwave/Speed Oven - GE Advantium (I really like it, although my husband doesn't like how loud the fan is)

Backsplash

Grey Subways - Sonoma Tilemakers, 2 x 3 grey flannel (4x4's on the bottom row)

Crackle Class - Sonoma Tilemakers, silvers solo in pewter

Behind the cooktop - AlysEdwards Casanova Frieze (such an ordeal - love the tile but wouldn't recommend ordering this tile from them. Two of the three colors were wrong originally and they had to use tiles from other manufacturers to fulfill my order!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Before Kitchen (we painted the dark wood and lived in a green kitchen for 6 years)

Comments (30)

• msjay2u
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That is so beautiful. You kitchen looks like it came out of a magazine. I wish I could have such a beautiful kitchen

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! We have colonial cream and love it as well.

• petra66_gw
    11 years ago

Lovely, tranquil kitchen, enjoy!

• clarygrace
    11 years ago

Oh so beautiful! You have done quite a remarkable job! The colors are all so soothing...from cabinetry to granite to backsplash and floor; it all coordinate perfectly. I think the backsplash tile is fabulous!!! Nice find! The size and scope of the kitchen and adjoining spaces all blend nicely! Enjoy for many years to come!

We have similar taste! Our island is pretty similar in size and shape! We'll be done in a couple of weeks so can share as well.

• tea4all
    11 years ago

Great transformation! Love your granite, all your windows, and your pantry.

Would you mind sharing the dimensions of your pantry? (I'm in the planning stages and hoping to be able to carve out space for such a pantry.)

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

Beautiful in every way. Congrats!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Terrific! You've done a great job! Congratulations!

• finestra
    11 years ago

Beautiful. It has such a clean, peaceful feel to it! I love your color choices. enjoy!

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Beautiful transformation (I peeked at the before photos)!

I love the soft gray stain on your island, and the way that it coordinates
    with the yummy colonial cream granite
    and your gorgeous accent tile over your cooktop.
    Thank for sharing the details like your base cabinet cutting board storage.

Bravo for crafting kitchen a lot of character, great function,
    and a beautiful distinctive aesthetic.

• pawa
    11 years ago

How I envy and covet your accent tiles!
    They are simply spectacular.
    I love the combination of colours and the island seems to add a bit of texture which I really like too.

• Ilene Perl
    11 years ago

It's beautiful, enjoy!!

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Wow!
    I'm not usually hip to the medallion back splashes, but I can tell you I com-plete-ly understand how you fell in love with that tile and pattern! Stunning.

I am in love with grayed colors, and yours just does my own heart a sing.

I know you agonized over that weird wall thing, but it looks like you've handled it perfectly. I had to go back and actually look for the issue, then I had to do a search to find it anyway.

You must be so thrilled -- and so fast!!

• eriepatch
    11 years ago

It's really really lovely Belle. Love the backsplash.

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

Beautiful! LOVE your colors - it's so soft and peaceful.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Great kitchen! Looks pretty, and functional, too!

• sanjuangirl
    11 years ago

A fabulous transformation! Such a beautiful color on your island, also love the blue walls. It blends perfectly with your granite, BS and floors. It's simply gorgeous, Congratulations and may you and your family enjoy many happy meals together in that fabulous kitchen!

• rosie
    11 years ago

Congrats, NewSouthernBelle. Some galley on your ship! :) I love your choices, including the pattern in your tile accent. It's so nice when people are able to include things they really love. Happy cooking.

• taggie
    11 years ago

FABULOUS! So much to admire here. Love the backsplash subways -- such an elegant color scheme. And the wine bar, and the amazing windows (wow!) in your breakfast room, and that fabulous island (lol at the captain's helm), and your great cabinets and flooring. And so much more, too much to mention. You must be on cloud nine. Congratulations!!

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

It's gorgeous. I love your island and all that open space to work in.

• Susied3
    11 years ago

Wow, it's beautiful, and WHAT a Transformation! I bet you feel as if you are in a completely different house!

And five months? I'm so jealous. We just passed three YEARS on our addition and still working. :(

So pretty, and I love the colors.
    Congrats.

• NewSouthernBelle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. I'm all smiley and giddy hearing your kind comments. It melts me heart. I'm glad to hear people like the backsplash tile. It is pretty bold. I was also THRILLED with how the stain on the island turned out. Interestingly, lots of people say the kitchen has a peaceful look and feel to it and that wasn't necessarily something I was aiming for but my kitchen mission statement did include "casual but sophisticated/elegant" which might boil down to "peaceful or tranquil".

We feel very blessed to have been able to do such a large scale kitchen remodel and are thrilled with how everything turned out. It also means we won't be moving for the next 15+ years! I can't wait until the bar stools are in and I can start serving snacks to my kids there. We are borrowing one bar stool right now and it gets a lot of use.

clarygrace and others - I'm glad to hear you think the colors are coordinate b/c I was in a quandary about that at one point. I can't wait to see your kitchen and island. We love the shape of ours but did it b/c it worked within our constraints. We didn't want to mess with the existing deck outside the bay windows and we couldn't push right much more either b/c of the powder room.

And speaking of the powder room - here are pictures of that which was also part of this remodel:

tea4all - the pantry is pretty small as far as walk-in pantries go. Finished dimensions are 5.5' long by 46'' wide. We weren't originally going to do a pantry but it made sense with the rest of the layout (it brought the oven closer to the rest of the kitchen) and I am really glad we did! It was actually framed larger and had to be redone b/c large aisles were more important to me than a few more inches in the pantry.

The other detail I forgot to include - the grout color on the backsplash is Custom Grout Light Smoke and on the floor it is Lacrete Parchment (just in case someone really wants to know - ha!)

• mjmom
    11 years ago

Wow! That looks great. I like the grey cabinets too.
    Very cool stencil in the bathroom. Was it hard to do?

• shelayne
    11 years ago

Wow, that is beautiful! I love Dover White, and it looks perfect in your kitchen!

Your cooktop splash is smashing! I would have been smitten as well!

The size of your island is impressive--size does matter! ;)It looks like you have a great place to prep, Cap'n!

Congrats on such a beautiful addition!

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Those backsplash tiles behind the range...turned out to be as beautiful as you said they would! I can see why you love them :)

The blue walls are so pretty with the cabinets...and the countertops looks wonderful, especially with the island. Nice job on the floors, too...don't forget to post more pictures when the rest of the furniture is in!

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

Your kitchen looks wonderful!!! Congrats on doing such a great job : )

• Linda
    11 years ago

what a transformation!!! Beautiful!

• poohpup
    11 years ago

What a gorgeous space! I covet all that acreage on your island! Love the gorgeous island color and what you did with the BS. Enjoy and thanks for sharing!

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Beautiful! I love both your kitchen and bath! The island and BS are probably my favorites.

• NewSouthernBelle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, lots of "acreage" on the island. I love it though. Today a babysitter was here (who actually folds laundry too) and she used the whole thing as a folding table and when she was done four laundry baskets were on the top all loaded up with clean laundry. I never even thought to fold laundry here.

I love all the ship and captain reference too!

I am just dying for the bar stools so yes, Lavender I promise to post a few more pictures when I get the rest of the furniture.

And just for kicks, here is a close up of the cutting board storage.

• colorfast
    11 years ago

NewSouthernBelle--There are many great things about this kitchen but my first impression was "Boy, she nailed it on the colors!" First picture, I was SURE you had a walnut island. Then I got looking at it, and realized, no it was kind of grayish and sure enough it was the stain. That color alone is wonderful, but even better, it looks so balanced with the blue you chose for the walls, the colonial cream and the floor tile.

Enjoy your kitchen!