Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobetpine

Help with countertop/cabinet colours, please...

bobetpine
15 years ago

Hi,

We would like to change our countertop(although it looks gray on the picture, it's dark green and so is the cabinet trim). Actually our kitchen looks like this:

http://www.zshare.net/image/14417650a3504363/

We also have a red gas range coming in soon :

http://www.zshare.net/image/1441806296ef4560/

We don't have the slightest idea what colour would fit.

We looked at the cheaper stratified countertops at Home Depot but we were tempted by either Corian or granite (it looks at lot more classy IMHO).

We'll also change the border below and above the cabinet: another big question...what colour would fit

a) the white cabinets

b) the new countertop

c) the red gas range

d) the ceramic.

The floor is not tile it is really ceramic. Its main colour scheme is grayish with some brown-slightly orange hues.

We will not change the ceramic nor the cabinets for the moment. So we must find something that fits with the ceramic, the cabinets and the red range (please note that the top of the range is stainless steel, only the front panel is fireman red).

Any more ideas that do not involve changing more that what is mentioned here ?

We tought that a Corian Cocoa Brown countertop would be neat. We could find a brown border to put below and above the cabinets (or maybe no border at all ?). What do you think ?

Any help from a design-litterate person would be an enormous bonus.

Thanks

Pascale

Comments (8)

• alku05
    15 years ago

I think brown would work, but if it were me, I'd go a charcoal gray, or even black. I think the gray or black would really set off the red range nicely.

You could paint the border any color you chose (a more modern look), or white to match the cabinets (more traditional). It all depends on what kind of feel and look you'd like in your kitchen.

• jujybean
    15 years ago

Bobetpine
    Just a tid bit of information. When clicking on your red gas range link, there are some scantily clad women above. You may want to change that. Or not, but I'm just saying...

• bobetpine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi jujybean,
    someone told me that, also. For some reason, I don't see « the scantily clad women » ThatÂs strangeÂIÂll go to Photobucket and change it. Sorry about that. Meanwhile you can see a red bertazzoni on Bertazzoni web site :
    http://www.bertazzoni-italia.com/Product/detail.aspx?CatID=PS&ID=47

Thanks all for your advice. BTW, can you REALLY paint laminated trims ? (I guess itÂs laminated, I know nothing about the english terminology of kitchen cabinets, sorry. ) How good does it look, painted ?

Thanks again.

• lightlystarched
    15 years ago

Your link is somewhat offensive. Please post a warning.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

I just had a cool idea for the trim around your cabinets. It might look nice if you could attach some stainless to where the gray/green color is around your cabinets. There area number of black granites that have crystal inclusions and burgandy running through it that would really look great with your range. Add a beautiful backsplash in glass and it would look clean, sharp, and contemporary. I'm not sure if I sent this link already on the other post so if I did, please forgive the repetition.

Here is a link that might be useful: Granite site

• mlraff53
    15 years ago

I agree with remodelfla. The stainless would look great. I also think a brown granite would look nice if you want more traditional.

ps. I also see the naked women but on the kitchen pic not the range. It looks like a banner right above your pics.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

When I had clicked on it, I did not see any such pics. I also wanted to show you a great site for glass tile backsplashes that you can actually create your own custom blend and adjust the amount of whatever color you prefer in existing blends. I played with a blend using your colors: black, red, a slateish color, some mottled white/cream all together. It was fun to adust percentages of each color and see how it looked plus the tiles looked wonderful. The overall site has infinite combinations and is a great place to start. Many people on this forum have bought from this place and have been very pleased. I'm no where near that point yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glass backsplash choices

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

We could find a brown border to put below and above the cabinets (or maybe no border at all ?). What do you think ?

I think I'd reduce the size of the borders by at least one half or more. And I really like Remodelfla's suggestion to clad them in stainless steel--or something silver & shiney. Then, on top of the cabs, I'd attach a white shelf to the border to extend out flush with the cab fronts or perhaps a bit beyond.

And, yes, you can paint laminate. Just rough it up a bit with sandpaper to give the tooth for the paint if it's glossy finish laminate.