Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trudymom_gw

How Do You Clean The Sink?

trudymom
14 years ago

I noticed that the little rubber things that go down to my garbage disposal are really slimy. How do you clean yours?

Thank you!

Comments (11)

• megradek
    14 years ago

I use a really soapy washcloth and grab at each of the plastic 'fins' on top and underneath. I also use a toothbrush to really get the stainless ring clean!

• prill
    14 years ago

I put mine in the dishwasher.

• trudymom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mairin, I will try the soapy washcloth and good idea about the toothbrush.

prill, I don't think mine comes out of the sink to put in the dishwasher, but thank you!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

>I don't think mine comes out of the sink to put in the dishwasher, but thank you!

I think they all come out for cleaning--you could never get at the underside well otherwise.

• granite-girl
    14 years ago

How do you get them out to put in the dishwasher ? I've never really known how to get them them really clean either.

Here is a link that might be useful: granite countertops

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

I learned by accident trying to get a spoon that went down the disposal side. It just grabbed my wrist and came up. Once you've had it out it's easy to do, just scary getting it loose the first time. I'd be kind of afraid to put mine in the DW because it's so old, but I expect the newer ones would be okay. (If your disposal is new enough to have a manual this must all be covered in there somewhere.)

• Fori
    14 years ago

They aren't all removable, unfortunately. So, if yours doesn't seem to budge, might not want to force it!

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

OMG... I must be a slob and didn't know it. I never ever even remotely thought about using an old toothbrush on my sink. Sometimes I read about cleaning approaches on this board and feel so inadequate! I vow to keep learning though!

• cotehele
    14 years ago

I use a bent bottle brush inside the GD under the top edge. I also pour vinegar into the GD that has a significant amount of baking soda in it. It foams up and cleans the inside. If all the baking soda isn't used up, pour in more vinegar.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

I have an InSinkErator Evolution Septic Assist (bought in late 2007) and the rubber flange (or whatever it's called) comes out. It doesn't easily pop out, but a yank gets it out...then it snaps back in.

I tried the DW but it doesn't get all the gunk out b/w the flaps...it has to be "hand" washed to get it truly clean. If it's been in use for a long time w/out cleaning, I would soak it in hot soapy water first to soften up the gunk.

I use a "nipple brush" left over from when my children were babies...

[Hmmm...now that I think about it, it's been a while since I cleaned it (my DH refuses to do it!) I think I need to go clean it!]

• trudymom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I really do not think mine is removable. I will just clean it in place. Thank you all for your thoughts!