Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roulie_gw

FINISHED!! (almost!) cherry shaker, black leathered granite

roulie
14 years ago

Yay!! I am officially "finished"!! Well, 99% finished. I still need a few rugs and new bar stools and I have to fill my glass cabinets, but the kitchen was tidy enough for pictures this morning (after a hasty cleaning for a dinner party last night) and I decided it was now or never.

The renovation started 2 days after Christmas and lasted approximately 5 months. In addition to the kitchen, we gutted 3 bathrooms, including dormering out the master bathroom to get a few more feet across the back of the house. It was an almost perfect project from start to finish (barring the things that were revealed during the demolition that didn't meet current code and needed to be fixed). Amazing contractor, amazing crew, amazing husband and kids to live in the mess that we had for so long. Well, living in a 55 degree house for most of the winter wasn't ideal, but I got used to wearing my down jacket inside all day long. Thank goodness for Trader Joe's and a good microwave! And a big THANK YOU to all of the wonderful ideas I got in this forum. I tend to research things to death and this site was my addiction for the past year.

I have a 1960s cape cod house in New England -- boxy rooms and bad flow. We took down the wall between the family room (which is the room you enter the house through) and the kitchen; also the wall between the kitchen and the dining room, but we added cabinetry there to give the feeling of separation while still allowing light to flow between the front of the house (DR) and the back (kitchen). There was an open front porch in front of the family room that we enclosed to make a mudroom. (Hallelujah for mudrooms and boys!!)

Here are some "oldies" of our original 1960s cape cod kitchen:

Range wall -- behind this wall was the laundry room, which we moved to the basement so we could incorporate the space into the kitchen ;

Wall between kitchen and dining room:

Original double oven, at the end of the wall between the kitchen and dining room

I don't miss this cooktop!

We replaced this small window to get more light:

Dining room with door to kitchen. This wall was removed.

Looking from the kitchen to the family room.

The original laundry room, now part of the kitchen:

And the finished product!

Taken from the family room:

Taken looking into the family room (still unfurnished!)

Looking from the kitchen window into the dining room:

The island is 10 feet long.

New Ticor sink -- thanks garden webbers!!

Kenmore elite induction range:

4-drawer recycling -- a must in a town with no trash collection (we haul our own to the dump) -- I guess I could have at least emptied the trash before taking a picture!

We wanted these to look like furniture, with feet and a matching cherry top:

Still have to dig up the crystal and other things to put in here:

Do you think I need new dining room chairs??

New slider to mudroom, which used to be an open front porch:

New mantle -- still trying to decide what to cover the old brick with:

Just for fun: old powder room:

New powder room:

Some details:

Cabinetry: Plain & Fancy shaker style (I don't think that's the actual model name...) with Heirloom finish

Counters: Cambrian Black granite with antique leather finish

Sink: Ticor from garden web -- the 32" long with zero radius corners

Appliances: all Kenmore elite (I know, many people don't like the "all one brand appliance" thing, but it just worked out that way). I LOVE my new induction range!! I've always been a gas girl, but that was not a great option in this house, and I have been really happy with induction.

Faucet: Kohler simplice

Backsplash: Grazia "Rixi" in a color that I'm drawing a blank on and am too lazy to run to the garage to check the box... if anyone is interested you can check another posting of mine where I sing its praises

Pendants in kitchen and dining room: pottery barn

If anyone wants more specific details, let me know and I'll supply.

Comments (23)

• pondbucket
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

sweet!

• needsometips08
    14 years ago

It's gorgeous! Love it. Beautiful!

• mdod
    14 years ago

Wow! What a transformation. It looks great!

• theanimala
    14 years ago

Wow, looks like a brand new house! Great job!

• beachlily z9a
    14 years ago

Looks wonderful! I have one of those ranges on order--love the ways it looks in your home!

• Jodi_SoCal
    14 years ago

Beautiful!!!

• prill
    14 years ago

Beautiful! Love your cabinets. Can't believe that before... a blast from the past. You did a perfect job. Love it.

• becktheeng
    14 years ago

Love it! Especially the tile. I'm going to use the Rixi on my backsplash so I was really excited to see some on your walls!

• rdas
    14 years ago

AWESOME!! I WISH I had seen your kitchen before we were this far down the line -- I would have copied the 4 trash bins in a heartbeat! That is awesome! Great job! Enjoy!

• boysrus2
    14 years ago

I love it all! Rich looking and inviting space. My favorite things are the beautiful cabs, backsplash tile, light fixture in the breakfast area and your pretty rugs tie it all together.

• steff_1
    14 years ago

Beautiful transformation. I'm so glad it went well. Slate would look great on that fireplace.

• zeebee
    14 years ago

Looks great - those cherry cabinets are beautiful and I love the glass-front ones. And the leathered counter is gorgeous and perfect for the space.

• muscat
    14 years ago

Its all wonderful, but I LOVE that cabinetry!!!!!

• nhbaskets
    14 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! Enjoy!

• nesting12
    14 years ago

Really pretty. The cabinets are so well-made and simple and shaker. Beautiful.

What color is that wall behind the mantle?

Weren't you tempted to keep the lime-green toilet and sink (kidding)?

• tabteacher
    14 years ago

I love your new kitchen! I am so glad you posted. We are just starting our new kitchen & our cabinet style, color, etc. is almost like yours, plus we are looking @ black for a counter top.

• shelayne
    14 years ago

Wow, what a transformation! It looks wonderful! I love the paint color in your dining room and your pendants, especially the urn over your dining table. Very, very pretty. Could you please tell me what kind and color of paint that is? Thank you.

Enjoy your beautiful new kitchen!

• ebse
    14 years ago

Well done! Now you can take a deep breath and just enjoy it.

cograts:)

• jb1176
    14 years ago

Your cabinets are spectacular. Also like the choice of Cambrian Black Leather with the cabinets. Is the color of the Rixi tile "crema"? Also am interested in the paint color used in the kitchen if you have time to post again. Great job and enjoy!

• jb1176
    14 years ago

I was wondering if you were able to have the countertop on the island fabricated without a seam?

• prill
    14 years ago

It looks like that Rixi has pretty even coloring. The sample of the blue I picked up have alot of color variation. Are yours as even in coloring as they appear?

• fran1523
    14 years ago

Gorgeous. I love the cabinet hardware. IMHO cup pulls stick out like a sore thumb.

• roulie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all of the nice comments! Here are a few more specifics:

Paint colors:

Family room (behind mantle): Benjamin Moore Shaker Beige
    Dining room: BM Woodlawn Blue
    Kitchen: BM Porcelain Ivory (there is very little paint in the kitchen itself: just around the window and the edge where the tile ends at the left of the range wall.)

A note about the Woodlawn Blue: We had the dining room painted this color before we moved in (before the renovation). After we opened the walls and I realized that the dining room now had to "go" more with the rest of the house, I questioned whether the blue would work, given that most of our rugs are red and especially given that I fell in love with the green tile for the backsplash. We decided to keep the blue and, for the most part, I think it works, though I wouldn't have chosen it if I had started from scratch with colors. It is sort of a chameleon color -- it's definitely blue, but takes on a greenish or greyish tone depending on the light. I have also used it in a bathroom and love it there too.

The color of the Rixi tile is "Agata". It's green (sort of a greyish, beigish green) with a crackle finish. The edges of the tile have a bit of brown. It's really hard to get a good picture of it, but here's a close-up:

You can tell that it's darker around the edges. The sample that I had was much browner on the edges... this one less so. Prill: you asked whether the color is even. I would say that there is little variation across the tiles, but on each tile there is definitely a difference between the base color and the color around the edges. On the wall, it has a pretty uniform look.

JB1176: The island doesn't have a seam. It just happened that the granite I chose (one of 3 samples at my kitchen designer's showroom) came in a long enough slab. Honestly, I never even saw my granite until the day is was installed. I knew I wanted a black granite (well, actually I REALLY wanted soapstone, but my husband nixed it!) with a matte finish. My KD had three samples in her showroom: honed absolute black, which got too fingerprint-y for me, another black that the granite guy said didn't come long enough for my island, and the one that ended up choosing and loving. The installer did a great job. I only have one seam in the entire kitchen, a few feet to the left of the sink.

Fran1523: I was chuckling at your comment because I wanted cup pulls and my husband was firm on getting something really simple, and now that they are in I agree with him 100%. Plus, at $1.49 a piece, they were a bargain!