Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pupwhipped

Do you have a storage cabinet above your toilet?

pupwhipped
15 years ago

I'm trying/needing to grab all the storage spots I can find in my small bathroom remodel. Do you have a storage cabinet mounted on the wall behind your toilet? If so, how deep is it? I've found one online that I like. It has concealed cabs, cubby holes, and towel bar. But, it is 11 inches deep. That seems awfully deep off the wall to me. Am I gonna be clunking my big head on the thing when I get up off the mode? I think I would prefer a cute mirror above the sink cabinet (which is right beside the toilet) and this wall storage cab above the toilet. If this cabinet is too deep to go above the commode, then I will need to get a recessed medicine cabinet with mirror above the sink and something? less deep above the toilet. Or, anybody got any other ideas how to grab more storage space? I have NO other walls to use. Oh, and like everyone else, I would love and adore any kind of picture inspiration.

Thanks for reading my post,

pupwhipped

Comments (15)

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is the second time in about a week I'm posting in the kitchen when I should be in the bathroom. WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME?!! Sorry. I'm off to the bathroom forum...again. So Sorry!

pupwhipped

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Hey! I'd like to know as well...for the PR part of our Kitchen remodel! I lost the ugly, ugly, ugly medicine cabinet and now need more storage....but I think it might be too much in our 4'6" x 4'6" PR!

Thoughts? Maybe I should start visiting the Bathrooms forum....

• alku05
    15 years ago

Well, just becuase you both asked, here's our powder room's over-the-toilet cabinet (the dishwashing bin is hiding the toilet). You kinda have to use your imagination for the top part of it, but it's just glass doors with mullions. The cabinet is 8" deep I think, plenty of depth for Kleenex box, TP, hand towels etc. Let me know if you want me to take a better picture of it.

We got this cabinet at HD, and it was supposed to be one of those ones that stands on the floor and goes over the toilet. But when we got it home and put it together, we decided to wall mount it higher, hence the brackets. I believe you can now get cabinets like this that are designed to be wall mounted at HD or Target. I linked a page of them below. Of course both of you may be looking for better quality then Tar-jay, but maybe they will at least give you some inspiration.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabinets at Target

• User
    15 years ago

I have the wall cabinet shown mounted over my toilet. Mine is 8" deep. I got this cabinet because it has closed storage and a place to hang towels. It took me almost of year of searching to find what I wanted. I have an off white sink, etc, and ORB fixtures so I wanted a dark wood for the mirror, cabinet and light.

You may be right about 11" being too deep. Good luck with your search.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I wouldn't go any deeper than the debth of your tank if the shelf or cabinet will be hung low. But if you're hanging higher, you could go a bit deeper.

I robbed storage space by putting a small cabinet above the mirror and by including a toe kick drawer. You could use the deeper cabinet if you recessed it into the wall some :)

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Thanks Alku, MomJ47, & IglooChic....

We finally got our PR half-way done...framed mirror & lights with a black toilet, sink, & counter, and chestnut cabinet...and now I'm trying to decide where to put TP, Towel rack, and extra storage. My KD recommended mounting the TP & Towel rack on the wall opposite the toilet & sink...but I'm not sure I want them there...I'm thinking of a floor stand TP holder plus a cabinet similar to Alku's or MomJ47's....different styles/looks, I know...but I'm undecided what to do in such a small room!

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

I have an old primitive medicine cab above the toilet in the first floor PR. 5'' deep. I had a deeper one but it was too much for the small room, esp since the ceiling is low in that room because of piping for the 2nd floor bathrooms. Not much storage there; we use it for band-aids, etc., and ya' gotta be sure the toilet seat is down before you open it. :-)

One waste basket is all that I will tolerate on the floor in a bathroom because BR's are difficult enough to clean without adding to the chore.

I really wanted to add a little niche next to the TP dispenser to stash a spare roll of TP but, when I cut into the wall, I found that that stud bay was sheathed with sheet metal for a return air duct. Gave up on the idea and, since I'm the only one in this household who apparently knows how to load a toilet paper roller, I went with the flow & started buying jumbo industrial sized rolls of TP.

• emagineer
    15 years ago

Ci Lantro..
    Changing TP has always eluded me. Why can't people do that? Or, my sons leave the last little sheet on it, like they do with jars of something with 1 tsp left.

I bought a wine bottle holder used on ships for the TP. It was the perfect size, mounts on the wall and thought an easy change. Still doesn't happen. And this won't change anything either, but found a sign I'm making which is only 4"X4". It says "Regardless of what you may believe, changing the TP roll will not cause brain damage".

Yeah, this is all OT but interesting.

• gizmonike
    15 years ago

Our former home came with custom cabinets over most of the toilets. This was so handy for TP, light bulbs, cleaning supplies, you name it, that we planned for similar storage in our new home. The cabinet can be the same depth as any upper; just install it high enough to avoid any head bashing. Our current cabs have open cubbies on the bottom, & doors on the top section that flip up. We use the open cubbies for towels or decoratives like photos or vases.

• oofasis
    15 years ago

Emagineer, I remember (oh, decades ago!) in the Hi and Lois comic strip, the wife was lamenting to a friend, "Why is it that no one in this family seems capable of replacing the roll of toilet paper?" and the friend replied, "Why? Because they know you'll do it, of course!"

• 3katz4me
    15 years ago

I'm at my lake place for the 4th of July weekend - it could really use one of those over the cabinet shelves. Bathrooms are very small and there is no linen closet. I painted the master bathroom last year and still haven't put any kind of towel holders back up - still looking. I've been thinking about one of those shelves - I like that one with the doors and towel bar.

This place by the way had horrible TP holders - you have to use your fingernails to get them apart to change the roll. I've found it does help considerably to have one of those holders that's open on one end - you just slide the old roll off and the new one on. That's what I have at home at we now have minimal TP replacement problems. I have an even better solution here. When I painted the main bath last year I never put the TP holder back up. The room is so small that the vanity drawer is right at your fingertips when you're doing your business. I keep a drawer full of TP - it's perfect size for it. Of course this requires a label on the drawer - which most people probably wouldn't want - it's fine for here though. It is often a topic of conversation with visitors.

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well.....call me a genius for asking a bathroom question on the kitchen forum. I got more responses here then BF. Who knew? HA! Some people here on the KF probably read the subject line and think, "that pupwhipped must have a screw or two loose." I may, but bigger problem is the two big glasses of Chardonnay I had on July 4th eve last night. YUM!

A few kind people did respond on the BF with pics. There were pics of cabinets deeper then 11 inches, so I guess it can work. I love the look of all the ones that have been posted including alku05's and momj47's above. My room is very small, though, with a door at each end, so I wonder if my cabinet might look like the "Cab that ate Cleveland." If I could recess it a little that would help. Iglooie, can you really recess a cabinet that is not specifically designed for that purpose? Duh, could be sounding like an idiot again.

And, of course, my girlfriends, most mens can't change the TP holder. My hubby is so handy and hard working, and will do most any and all things. Not that! But, pssssst, since none of you know me and never will, I'll tell you a secret. My MIL had four boys and she was an absolute clean freak. She could not deal with the "messy misses" at the toilet. She taught all her sons to "sit" and never stand for any action going on at the toilet. Get my drift? I thank her for that. Never had any misses or splashes from my hubby. Now, if only he could change the TP holder he would be perfect.

Thanks to all for your kind responses.

pup

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I clicked on your dark wood link to see your bathroom and it looks great. Then thought I would take a look at your album. Then spit my iced tea across the room as the first picture I came across was "the football cat." Too funny! But, my question is, where did you get your water cooler in your kitchen? I'm assuming it is not the kind you plug into the wall for cooled water? BTW, your kitchen is so beautiful. So very nice. Thanks.

• bestyears
    15 years ago

Ohmygosh! I have to put a link here for everyone of the "football cat". Pupwhipped and I are not gonna be the only ones with iced tea all over the screen! (It says 'feel free to forward to friends', so I think that makes it okay).

I was in Linens and Things today and they had a nice wall cabinet that would be great over a toilet. Orig. $99, marked down to $59. I'm going to go back and get it Monday. It's by Hawthorne and you can see it on their website. Looks very similar to a Home Depot one I put in our upstairs bath, and I love the little squares which fit TP exactly. Anyway, thought you might be interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Football Cat

• User
    15 years ago

Thanks, even after 4 years, I'm so happy with the kitchen.

I got my water crock and stand at Sam's Club, of all places, but you can get them online. I was ready to order one when I stumbled on this one locally. I did buy a few accessories from the Watercrock Shop.