Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sautesmom

Disposal air switch--why???

Sorry if I offend anyone, but what is the point of having the air switch for a garbage disposal installed in a counter, (except when you have to have a wall switch located on the other side of the room?) Since in my kitchen it's only another 12 inches to the wall, I can't see how an air switch would be an "improvement" worth the cost.

Carla in Sac

Comments (18)

• igloochic
    15 years ago

The point would be that in some kitchens, the switch isn't as handy, ie in mine where we have the sink on a big wall of windows, so to turn it on, you have to leave the sink and walk to the switch and back...not safe, not handy, not good design, but until they invent a floating switch in a glass window...we'll use an air switch :)

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

Ditto re. windows behind sink - and the only place I can put my tall coffee maker is right where the current disposal switch is, on the only 12" of wall on that entire cabinet run.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

The other reason people use an airswitch is that they do not want to break up their backsplash with the switch...which is also the reason why those same people probably use Plugmold for outlets rather than have outlets in the backsplash. (It also makes a DIY backsplash easier!)

What one person considers "not worth the extra cost," others feel the opposite. There may be something that you think is worth the extra cost that someone else doesn't...we're all different w/different priorities, likes/dislikes, etc...and that's one of the things that makes the world so interesting!

HTH!

• kidshop
    15 years ago

My old island had the disposal switch in the side of the island right at toddler level! If anyone leaned on that side it would switch on accidently too. The air switch will get it out of the way.

• boxiebabe
    15 years ago

Our old kitchen had a wall switch that was on the OTHER side of the dishwasher from the sink. Unhandy.

Our new kitchen has an air switch next to the soap dispenser.

Truthfully? If I wasn't worried about breaking up the backsplash or distance from the sink - I'd prefer the wall switch. The air switch, pushing it down, is just a little awkward. Not a big deal, but a wall switch is easier to push.

That is just my opinion, of course.

• holligator
    15 years ago

When our switch was on the wall near the sink, it seemed like every single time someone else used my sink, they would flip the disposal switch in an effort to turn on the light above the sink. This drove me crazy. Not one person has pushed the airswitch button trying to turn on the light. So, in addition to my backsplash (if I ever get one) looking much nicer without being broken up by the switch, my sanity will be preserved, as well.

Also, as kidshop mentioned, there was no other safe and practical place to put the switch for the disposal in my island prep sink. The airswitch is handy and unobtrusive.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    15 years ago

The airswitch is not expensive and I think it is an awesome feature in my kitchen.

On my kitchen island, there is no "wall" to put a switch (it would have had to go underneath the counter so it was a natural for that spot.

At my main sink, I used it so as to not have to break up the flow of the backsplash. It would also have been a good reach because of the window above the sink.

• oskiebabu
    15 years ago

Air switches are cheap and you put them next to your faucet, or hot water dispenser, or sprayer--if your faucet doesn't have one built in. What could be more convenient than pressing a button right next to your sink rather than reaching somewhere for a switch. Also, the wire run is so short between the disposal and the air switch, as the connections are both under the sink cabinet.

I've had both and the air switch is far more convenient and looks better than a wall switch.

Greg

• iris16
    15 years ago

I never knew what air switches were for or what the advantages were either. I thought it was some new thing I didn't need. Thanks for all the good reasons!

• olchik
    15 years ago

My KD specifically told me not to put any switches or outlets on our "tile wall" and to get an air switch instead :)

• Gina_W
    15 years ago

Mine didn't cost anything to install. Granite fabricator drilled the hole for free and the electrician took a couple of minutes to install it. The unit itself was about 50 bucks. I love my airswitch. Most kitchens you have to guess which wall switch is the disposer - not safe.

• mmme
    15 years ago

I have a wall switch in the house I'm renting during the remodel. All along I have thought this was the bee's knees, because I was comparing it to my old situation--a switch in the sink cabinet, which had child-proof locks! What a pain that was. The wall switch is wonderfully convenient.

Even though the wall switch is an improvement, it does have its down sides: I do occasionally flip the wrong switch, which really makes me jump. But something that no one else has mentioned here is that you often reach for the disposal switch with messy/wet hands. I think the air switch is slightly better suited for that kind of contact.

• tkbalt
    15 years ago

Agree with the wet hands comment.

• angelcub
    15 years ago

All of the above plus they are very kewl, imo. : ) Mine was not cheap but it is solid metal not plastic. I didn't like the finish on the plastic ones.

• wahmom
    15 years ago

Nice to know the reasons to get an air switch. We're planning to get one too as our sink will be moved away from the original switch. We can add another wall switch on the other side of the window but we opted for an air switch. We now are a little concern about child proof. How easy it is for a child to turn on the air switch on the counter. Of course, he/she can turn on a wall switch too. Just thought we'll ask as it may not be too late to have the electrician come back to add a wall switch before sheetrock guy start their work end of next week.

• black327
    15 years ago

wahmom,
    I think it would be easier for a child to turn on a wall switch than an air switch. You have to press it down with a little bit of force while the wall switch is just a quick "flick".

• sandsonik
    15 years ago

Well, this has been informative; I've always wondered what an air switch was! I have no garbage disposal now, but I've had them in rental apts and the switch was in the sink cabinet. Never really bothered me having it there, and I've noticed that the previous owner had a wire run through the floor into the sink cab so I guess she hoped for a disposal one day so I guess I'll have that option if I decide I want a disposal.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals