Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wooderlander

to the rescue!

16 years ago

This is just a reminder that if you, like me, no longer really shop at Sears, don't forget about them! A repairman sent by the home warranty company BROKE our cooktop two days ago, cracked one side right across, threw up his hands and left after telling us to go ahead and cook on the unbroken side -- very dangerous. I was going to toss him out anyway because of his bad attitude, though my DH kept trying to give him another chance. Grr.

We're expecting 25 for Thanksgiving so I was a little panicky. We called all over this metropolitan area of 1 million people, looked all over the Internets, nowhere was a suitable cooktop (that would fit into the same space in the granite) to be found that could get here before December.

Finally looked at sears.com yesterday and found the exact one I was looking for, and Sears claimed it could be delivered today. The nice old fellow in the Sears appliance department looked it up at the same time and told me to be sure and order it before 3 p.m., which I did. The price came in several hundred dollars less than expected, even with delivery. The automated call telling us when to expect the delivery came in at 6 p.m. yesterday, and the cooktop arrived at 9 this morning.

Now DH is struggling to install it, but I have faith. I just wanted to commend Sears for having the thing in stock when no one else did, for the efficiency of the whole process, and for the helpfulness of the guy in the appliance department. Thank you, Sears!

Comments (4)

• 16 years ago

Back in Nov 2003 I bought my new house and buyers of my old house wanted my fridge. That was fine cause new house had black appliances and mine was white.

So I purchased my item from HD because of the holiday sales, with delivery set for 1/17/04. No problem they told me, it has my name on it and was paid for. The day before delivery they called to tell me that delivery was now going to be several weeks. Where was my fridge? Don't know, must have sold it. Oh, no that is not going to work. I immediatly went to Sears, they had exact model in stock that day, matched HD price plus 10%, delivered it the next morning just in time for me to hand the keys to the new owner.

Get this...
    HD calls that night to tell me my fridge is going to be delivered the next day! I guess someone found it, just a day late.

Sears does offer great warranty and service I must say.

• 16 years ago

Sears is also pretty patriotic, as they take care of their employees who are called up as reservists. They not only continue their benefits, but pay the difference in salary...pretty commendable. I haven't shopped Sears in years, but this does make me think I should.

• 16 years ago

My Sears story...

in 1986 we moved to Cheyenne, WY. The dryer had gotten slightly damaged in the move and I found that the 'dinger' wouldn't work to notify me when the load was done. A very nice Sears repair guy showed up. After a few minutes I heard him calling me over to the dryer where he explained that the dryer had NEVER had a dinger! I stood there and argued with him until I remembered that the previous 2 years we had been renting while our stuff was in storage and the dinger had been on the rental one. Imagine my embarrassment! Thankfully he didn't charge me for the housecall. Also, thankfully we moved on to another state a few years later (no offense to anyone living there but I sure didn't like it).

• 16 years ago

My last two appliance purchases have been from Lowes because the Sears salesdroid gave me some guff about price-matching an appliance that had to be ordered, but when I was shopping for a refrigerator they were the only place that had a just plain basic no-gadgets (meaning fewer things to break or leak!) refrigerator. It was delivered within a couple of days. The delivery guys were very nice about removing the old fridge, even when they picked up the old fridge and several dead mice fell out of the bottom! They took the old fridge out, came back and disposed of the mice, then put in the new fridge. We also had a treadmill from Sears that we had to have repaired about every 4-6 months for the 5 years we had a service contract on it - DH is what's called a "Clydesdale" runner, so he bashed the crap out of that treadmill, but since he was under the weight limit for the machine they had no choice but to keep on fixing it. Sears never said boo about it. After the contract ran out, the next time it croaked we got rid of it!

PO chose all Kenmore (these models are all made by Frigidaire) appliances for our kitchen when he redid it. The dishwasher started leaking, badly, when we'd only been using it for a month. (Of course, the warranty expired the day after we moved in, because the house was up for sale for so long.) So I called Sears and they sent a guy out. Turns out it was a faulty installation (unsurprising) of a low quality appliance (basically the absolute bottom of the barrel, also unsurprising); the guy was chatty so I hung around while he was reinstalling it, which took longer than it should have because of the odd way PO had installed it before. He asked some questions about the kitchen so I told him our sob story about PO's weirdo work. I think he felt sorry for me because he charged me the lowest allowed amount, even though he spent about 20 minutes after he finished with the dishwasher going round to my other appliances (even the non-Kenmore ones) telling me about their quirks. It was kinda neat.