Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaksopcam_gw

Does This Look Right?

jaksopcam
14 years ago

My cabinets are being installed and I'm not happy with certain items. Of course, I noticed these items after the guys had left for the day. I called the guy that sold me the cabinets (Medallion) and he will be coming out tomorrow but after a quick conversation it sounded like some of the things is just how Medallion does it and the others are my installers.

Here are some photos: The first one is the flat toe kick molding which just ends with the cut side showing. No other molding seems to come standard to finish it off. The kitchen guy suggested using the touch up paint.

The second is really a question. Right now the cabinets are not perfectly flush with the wall. I know that no walls are perfectly straight but the guy installing them said there are probably corner finish moldings. I don't think so and from the pictures I've looked through here on GW it seems most just have their cabinets flush against the wall. Does this look typical or is this guy doing a sloppy job and assuming corner moldings will cover his mistakes?

Lastly (at least for now), on the island there are decorative floor molding pieces only for the outside 2 sides of the island. The side facing the sink and underneath the base cabinet are flat toe kicks. That's fine but the way they have put the two together looks terrible. The toe kick is flat and the molding is curved and they just stuck them together. Some of it will be covered a bit by the granite as I plan to have it overhang for stools.

Am I expecting too much? I just feel like I paid alot of money for these cabinets and 1)I'm annoyed that Medallion doesn't provide some of this stuff like molding for all the way around the island and something to finish off the ends of the cabinets. I paid extra for the decorative ends but I guess that doesn't include the toe kick?? and 2)I feel like the guys doing the installation (they are part of the crew doing a large main floor addition/renovation) are not careful and sloppy with their work. I'd love to hear your opinions.

Comments (10)

• laxsupermom
    14 years ago

I think Medallion is a semi-custom line. Moldings are usually extra on semi-custom cabs. Your KD should have let you know that you needed to order x number of feet of toekick molding and either a filler strip or scribe molding. Custom cabs would have extra material built-in to them to actually be scribed to the wall. I think your KD dropped the ball.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

the first one could probably be touched up. shouldn't they do it tho?

the other I think would be a moulding strip.

the last one - ?. probably when touched up it won't show. i doubt anyone else will notice it. I don't know if it should have been mitered. I had a woodworker (built beautiful cabs) do some woodwork for me once. he just butted the baseboards up at the corners in the bedroom. I was shocked - and told him so - made him redo it. I didn't hire a woodworker to do THAT! could have done that myself... he had been recommended to me by my sister (did her cabs) but after that I would never have recommended him to anyone.

shoddy work didn't get him any word of mouth jobs from me.

• Fori
    14 years ago

They should touch up #1--it'll show but you'll have to get on the floor to be close enough to see it I think. I'm really not sure what's normal.

#2. According to my experience and my cabinet guy, sometimes it's scribed to the wall and other times there is moulding. Just depends on the cabinet maker and/or installer (and I suspect part of the country). A gap, though, simply isn't done. So...yeah, you need some trim moulding to cover that. I don't think scribing it (too late now anyway) would work with the decorative panel you have.

#3 isn't bad--I think just touching it up would do wonders. But if you don't like it, and it is a little awkward, it looks like the base moulding is small enough to wrap the entire toekick. Would that work for you? The end of the base moulding should at LEAST be mitered where it meets the toekick though. You know, since you're paying for it. (But it'll look OK once it's cleaned up and you get used to it even if you let it go.)

• jaksopcam
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for your replies. The kitchen guy came this morning and there are moldings that will cover the gap in the wall. We came up with some solutions between him and the contractor for the other issues that I think will work to my satisfaction.

Part of it is also me learning to speak up when I'm not comfortable with something and not always taking the first answer they give me. So, although I freaked out a bit it served a purpose in that they now know I will not accept sloppy work and I'm going to be standing over them more than I have. I've been little miss nice and patient that I think they sometimes take advantage of that.

Thank you again!

• Fori
    14 years ago

No more Ms Nice Gal for you!

But give yourself credit--you called the cabinet guy back before we told you to. You might be polite but you don't seem like a pushover.

• jaksopcam
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Actually, I probably am a pushover. I kind of got that point when every sub who was coming into my house would remark at how little has been done since they were there last (weeks or sometimes months!). The final straw (I seem to have an endless reserve of final straws) was one day I was already on edge because I had made my usual polite but I thought strong plea to get this job moving. One of the workers was chatting with me and he admonished me to be firmer with them. Telling me how they were fixing up their own offices instead of sending guys to my job. "You need to be tougher with them!" Well, that was another freak out day.

But I think, to put it crudely, that I am finely "growing a set". They are small right now, probably the size of a cotton ball but I'm hoping they'll get bigger!

• Fori
    14 years ago

Ug. How annoying. I guess I'm lucky that our GC thinks our job is so small we can just be billed at the end. Of course we just started so I can't say I won't be ready to strangle him before long...

It looks like you're almost done though. That's gotta be nice!

• chiefneil
    14 years ago

It does look like you're missing some molding. The installers have done what they can with what they have, but it's probably your KD's fault for not ordering all the right molding.

Personally the only thing I would insist on is a piece of scribe molding for your point #2. The KD should give you touch-up paint to fix #1 and it looks like the joint in #3 could also benefit from a little touch-up stain.

You can also just buy a little strip of scribe molding from HD for a few bucks if you have the touch-up paint and DIY if you're so inclined.

• marcy96
    14 years ago

jaksopcam: Besides your molding issues, how do you like the Medallion/Schuler cabinets? I'm getting close to ordering Schuler cabinets from Lowe's and I may order the Princeton cabinets in morel vintage. I would love to see more pictures of your cabinets when you have a chance to post. Thanks!

• jaksopcam
    Original Author
    14 years ago

marcy96 - the cabinets are still not completely in yet but that is certainly an issue with our contractor not Medallion. I've heard very good things about Medallion and so far I like them alot. Of course, when they are completely in and the crown moldings are up I am hoping to report back that I love them. Also, some of my issues with the moldings may have been me jumping the gun a bit. The job is not finished and there will be more molding going up. One of the cabinets does have a tiny hole in it but my kitchen guy has already told me he can order me a new door so that doesn't seem to be a problem. That's another thing I've heard about Medallion is their customer service is very good. But so far I do love the full extended drawers, the soft close and the finish of the cabinets.

Can't wait to finally post a finished picture. I'd be happy with an almost finished picture! Good luck!!