Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjinga

Found a couch/love seat, need reinforcement ASAP

rjinga
14 years ago

The furniture store people quoted a price that is almost too good to pass up. One primary reason for not getting our "dream" furniture now, is that money is tight.

I like this set, it was comfortable and appeared sturdy and well built. The deal was they were getting new inventory next week and need the space, so they made me a deal.

PLEASE TELL ME IF YOU THINK IT COULD WORK IN MY ROOM. for what it's worth, DH's response was that he had no major issues with it, which translated means, he didnt love it but he didn't hate it, and I'm sure he'd love saving a thousand bucks!

The color does not appear to be as "purple" IRL as it does in this pic, interesting is that other pics she took looked more orange, it's got a deeper burnt orange/red hue to it, this is the loveseat. I could also pretty easily put better more noticeable bun feet or something like that. which could make it better.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

The adjacent room color

Comments (21)

• annzgw
    14 years ago

Are you wondering if it'll go with the red dining room? If you're willing to repaint then it shouldn't be an issue but if you want it to work with the existing paint, I'd suggest you ask them to let you bring a pillow home so you can see the colors in your home.

Not sure if it's going to work with your rug....another reason to bring a pillow home! :)

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

The sofa looks very formal, esp the fabric. Doesn't really mesh with your other furnishings.

I see you're giving up the funk of your existing pieces. I really liked the unusual shape of the one sofa and chair. And the purple sofa : )

• User
    14 years ago

So you're saying the color of the last picture is more accurate? Last pic is reading a pretty rust/orange/red color. If you could grab a pillow to bring home that would be great. Maybe if you have some extra paint left over, paint a sample on some posterboard and drag that back to the store. I think it's very pretty and reads more traditional which I think looks better with your e. stand but I'm worried about it clashing with the paint and possibly the rug. Can you take a close up shot of your rug? I can relate about the money being tight but if you get it home and it doesn't work that could be a big bummer and in the end might not of been worth the savings if you end up not liking it.
    Would you be getting rid of the rest of your furntiure and getting two new chairs/recliners?
    Looks really comfy!

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

As much as I hate to admit it, I'm tempted by this couch due to the incredible price. I DID like it too and it was very comfy. I will be replacing the rug regardless of what I get. And these 2 pieces would (potentially) go with the green chair (at least for the time being, until we found a leather recliner we like)

I also am replacing the coffee tables with the ones I just got that I will restain and/or paint to a darker color, so it would need to be ok with then and the EC

Not 100% sure about repainting the DR, that would be a last resort.

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

since they are closed tomorrow, I think she might let me take a pillow home, wish I had thought of that when I was there. I think IF I got this home and didn't like it, I could resell it for more than she is selling it for on CL..OK, Aside from the exta hassle, I dont think I could go wrong...So, I'll spill it. She is taking $1000 off, so she is selling the SET for $500.

• tomorrowisanotherday
    14 years ago

Oh, how I do hate to miss out on a great deal...but...I'm kinda not liking that set. Didn't you say your DH likes more modern/contemporary designs? This fabric seems very traditional, and that color is going to lock you into a limited set of options. And while the arms are not a big and tall as your current furniture, the extend all the way to the end of the sofa...something to think about. Shorter arms are going to open up your space and make it easier to arrange other pieces. (And I speak from experience here ;)) Here's a link to a sofa style you might like: http://www.ethanallen.com/product?productId=105680&categoryId=8018
    (sorry, it's not letting me post links for some reason)

Anyway, I hate pretty much all things orange/rust, so take my opinion for what it's worth--nada :)

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    14 years ago

Well I'm going to be the lone dissenter here. I like it! I think the curves go nicely with the curves in your entertainment center. And it's a smaller scale than what you currently have. It won't take up as much "visual" space.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Crummy ps, but here are your pieces:

{{!gwi}}

• User
    14 years ago

I like the set but dont think it will go with your red DR. What about the other set that is behind this one....looks like a lovely burgandy color.

• annzgw
    14 years ago

That price would be difficult to pass up! I too like the pieces, especially since I have a similar style rusty/red sofa (w/tiny stripes), and from squirrels demo it will work.
    At the worst you may have to repaint!

• graywings123
    14 years ago

You are being swayed by the price. If you had an empty living room and company on the way for Thanksgiving, then I would say MAYBE it was a good idea. But to replace existing furniture, no way. Wait for the right thing; it will come along.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I think I'd recover the existing curved sofa, which has a European, Bohemian, even modern kind of vibe. Maybe in a deep rich velvet, say burgundy. And change the finish on the ETC. Either a richer stain or paint.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Doesn't go with your dr color, but I think you'd said you might be willing to paint it.

{{!gwi}}

• les917
    14 years ago

I would pass. I think the color is odd, and in the future will limit what you can do in your rooms when you want a change. I don't see the style working with your existing pieces and more warm and casual aesthetic.

I could be wrong, but my guess is that someone ordered these, either couldn't pay for them when they came in or didn't like them, and paid the restocking fee. The furniture store put them on the floor, they haven't sold, and likely with the restocking fee and the $500 price, they are covering their cost and perhaps more.

• Kimberlyinva
    14 years ago

I have to agree with Les917...and I want to say I know how you are feeling!! I think the one important thing in today's economy is to wait, wait, the perfect piece will come along! I really wanted the great show room deal on a green sectional...but my house isn't green toned but oh, it was a good deal, it was new & I wanted it!!! It was so pretty!! I would paint, I didn't care. But we passed. Had a case of the *sads* A few months later we found an awesome deal on a high back mocha velvet HUGE sofa that went pefect, for half the price of the green...and it works so much better!!

I think your house is like mine, an electic mix...I see cushion throws so perhaps pets too? Cats...? That fabric could be a killer! The set to me seems really formal when mixed with your TV cabinet & dining chairs...hmmm. Also, Perhaps like myself, you love all styles & it's hard to chose just one!
    Kindet regards;

KAT

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

KAT, I think you nailed it!! DH even commented tonight, when I was going through a circular from another store I stopped in (after seeing this couch set). he says to me, you like everything. And I tell you, I do, I mean really the only thing that I dont like is anything too big and poofy. I guess I'm just style impaired, not really knowing what is considered formal etc. I just see something and if it appeals to me, I like it. I told him, I guess I'm just not hard to please :)

And yes, we do have pets, a big 75 lb pitbull dog who has made him sleeping area the patterned couch!! A teacup chihuhua (who doesnt get on the furniture unless she is put there and 5 cats, who dont lay around too much on the couches, except at night, I have throws EVERYWHERE. I did just get an experimental packet of "soft claws" they are pretty cool, not sure that I'll have any willing participants, but I'll have to figure out the worst scratchers and attempt to apply them. and yes, I do have scratching posts all over so why they feel the need to stretch on my couch, I have no idea. one gets frisky on the rug but JUST underneath the coffee table, so I dont always see her. UGH.

So I guess the consensus is to pass on this one and I will. I'll get DH to go out again next week and see if we cant find something at the other store. OR we may go back to the store in Macon and get there with more than 30 minutes to look around!!!! As always, thanks for your input and advice.

• k9arlene
    14 years ago

There's always slipcovers..........

• User
    14 years ago

I think you're making a good choice by waiting! One time I went to buy an end table for my LR and the CL seller left someone else have it and didn't bother to tell me. I was mad and disappointed but not even a week later I found a table on CL that I loved and worked perfect for me. Something will pop up.

• clax66
    14 years ago

I once received great advice years ago to buy a neutral sofa, because you can change paint and accessories to update a room, but a sofa is a big ticket item and consequently, not so easy to change!

Good luck on finding that perfect sofa!

• graywings123
    14 years ago

OMG - a 75 pound pitbull and a teacup chihuahua???

I'm imagining Sylvester the cat and Tweety bird and "hello, breakfast."

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

as I always tell people who meet him, my pit is a mix (part pit part cupcake!!) IRL, he is afraid of the chihuhua, no lie. She weighs 3 pounds soaking wet and she runs yipping at his heels EVERY day, out the door when they go out. He first would get close to her and sniff at her and everytime, she would bare her teeth and snap at him, he always backed right off. But he is also afraid of bugs, go figure ;)