Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiwihouse_gw

Is there a good idea for hiding flat screen tv in living room??

kiwihouse
15 years ago

Would love to see pics or get ideas on hiding flat screen tv in living room. Can't find any media units that have doors and the art work that conceals it is very pricey. Are there any other options?? Thanks!

Comments (8)

• crescent50
    15 years ago

Sorry I don't know how to post a link but there is a thread in building a house that provides information on a mirror that hides a tv. It is new and should be on the 1st or 2nd page. One of the posters ordered a sample and I'm looking forward to the review.
    The cost is high ($900) and there are some who doubt the quality of the picture but I definitely think it is worth checking out.

• crescent50
    15 years ago

In case you are interested, the company is www.hiddentelevision.com

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Hooker furniture makes a console where the tv can be lowered into the bottom via a lift using a remote control.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hooker pop up console

• sophie_blue
    15 years ago

If you have a recessed niche that fits the tv, you can stick the TV in there and put something in front like a picture or curtain that slides to reveal the tv. I saw a "Divine Design" episode where they built up a fireplace mantle up to the ceiling and created a niche for the tv in there. I don't remember if they motorized the curtains for the niche or not but the end result looked really nice.

• lisaland
    15 years ago

I saw this one in Southern Living (March 2007) and just loved it. I wound up getting a cabinet with doors but this one was one of my favs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Living

• deco_clueless
    15 years ago

Ikea has the BESTA cabinet where you can hide the TV behind panels, if you're looking for a cheap option.

• lynn_r_ct
    15 years ago

Horchow has a number of tv wall cabinets. What I like about them is that you can have some type of table under the tv and it doesn't look like one of those large media groupings. Horchow can be pricey but there are others out there - just google tv wall cabinets.

Here is a link that might be useful: TV Wall cabinet from Horchow

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

I loved Horchow's tv wall cabs, but they wouldn't work on my adobe walls. We went with a tv lift console and I've been very pleased with it. I love not having to look at a big black screen most of the day, no matter how thin it is!
    The only downside to these consoles, other than the fact that they could be a lot cheaper, is that the top hinged door that lifts up makes it impossible to put anything on the top of them, decor-wise. Our lamp needed to be on the tower next to the console (which still needs to be replaced eventually) and all decor had to be on the wall above it.
    Here's mine open:

And closed:

Since we first looked at them, I've seen some other very nice wall mounted cabinets on the market. The prices are getting more reasonable and they're so darn practical, too!
    Lynn