Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leahcate

Electric Blanket Anyone?

leahcate
12 years ago

Somewhat OT: I asked this a year or two ago: any recommendations for a electric blanket that gets truly toasty? I'm not a big fan and love our down comforter, but DH likes to get into a really warm bed and then switch it off. The last two I purchased never got more than a tad over tepid and took forever to get there. Only time I want one....and lovely then..is when I have a wretched cold or flu. TIA for recommendations!

Comments (23)

• lisaincalifornia
    12 years ago

Have you ever thought of getting a heated mattress pad instead? It works sort of the same way--but you can use it more as a bed warmer (turning it off when you get in) like you have described. I find they work better and get much warmer than an electric blanket. Here is the one I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Soft-Heat-Thread-Count-Low-Voltage-Electric/dp/B001JEPSSA/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1320719559&sr=8-15

• lkplatow
    12 years ago

Yes yes yes, ditto the heated mattress pad. Heat rises, so it makes sense that heating below your body is going to keep you warmer than a blanket on top. I had a heated mattress pad years ago when I was a struggling grad student and couldn't afford to turn the heat up past 60 - it was wonderful. Now, thanks to our woodstove and what I am dismayed to think is the beginnings of menopause, I no longer need one, but I still miss the feeling of crawling into a nice pre-warmed bed every night.

Costco sells a heated mattress pad that I bought for my father in law years ago (he's always cold) - it's still holding up great and he loves it. The costco one has separate thermostats for each side of the bed so he can bake himself as high as he wants without frying my poor mother-in-law.

• peaches12345
    12 years ago

We've had a Lands' End electric blanket for at least 5 years and love it. Gets very warm and toasty. I never have to turn it higher than 4 and usually 2-3. And I'm very cold-natured. Had a Sunbeam before that and it lasted about a year and was never very good.

• jakabedy
    12 years ago

I third the heated mattress pad. Ours is a Sunbeam queen size and has separate controls for either side. I think there are fancier ones that have zones, so you can toast your feet but not the rest of you. We have had ours about 6 years and it now heats a bit unevenly and is probably due for replacement. But I much prefer it to an electric blanket.

• kitschykitch
    12 years ago

I think electric blankets have pretty much been supplanted by mattress pads. I much prefer them. As others said, its nicer to prewarm your bed and turn it off. Ours has dual controls and warms your feet more than the rest of the bed. L-u-v it.

Of course, you could buy both the heated mattress pad AND an electric blanket and just "panini" yourself.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

Another mattress pad lover here but for different reasons: I don't like to feel wires with my toes in a top blanket and the last electric blanket I bought, a few years ago- a Sunbeam gentle warming- was not hot enough. It wasn't a cheap blanket either but the mattress pad I have gets hot.
    It's a good 12 years old but it is a Restwarmer by Chatham.

• mom2many
    12 years ago

I came up with a solution to warm the bed because I hate cold sheets. I hold the front of a blow dryer under the covers for a couple of minutes. It works great. Just be sure to keep the vented part from being covered up so it doesn't get overheated and start a fire.
    It's a cheap option that works quick.
    Nancy

• mclarke
    12 years ago

"Of course, you could buy both the heated mattress pad AND an electric blanket and just "panini" yourself."

Hahahhaha ha ha....

I have a heated mattress pad and I love it, but it is slow to warm up, so I have to plan ahead. Not my strong suit.

• peegee
    12 years ago

I absolutely love a warm bed, but worry about potential health issues from magnetic fields, so I use a hot water bottle at night - so nice!!!

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    12 years ago

I also use a hot water bottle, with a cute little flannel cover that velcros shut. Warms the bed and keeps my feet toasty.
    I have been considering getting a heated blanket or mattress pad, but I think I read somewhere that you shouldn't use them with foam mattresses or toppers. Anyone have any info on this?

• mary_lu_gw
    12 years ago

I guess I am in the minority. I have had both a heated mattress pad and electric blankets over the years. Just this past winter I went back to the blanket as I feel it is warmer than the pad. The blanket seems to "hold" the heat in better than the pad. Also I should mention that we sleep in an unheated room that usually averages about 55 degrees in the winter months!

• leahcate
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hot water bottles! Boy! that brought back a slew of memories: Vicks soaked flannel rags wrapped over my childish congested chest, soothing words, and comic books and ice cream from my dad home from work. Sigh.
    Well, thanks for all the ideas re mattress warmer, but DH has tried and agrees with mary lu. Hmmm, maybe I could try a single(twin) on his side? Be a bit short for king but might work. * I can always return it. * ! Now if you stop and think a bit, that could give you pause!! :>O

• haley_comet
    12 years ago

I also was going to recommend the heated mattress pad. Last year I bought one for each bed in my home and I have to tell you they are HOT - I think too as you are directly laying on it. I only put mine on level 2 or 3 at most at night. You might want to try that option. :)

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

The electric mattress pad is the best way to go. Heat RISES, and it's under you for maximum heat delivery. Most of them have more coils at the foot than the shoulder area ... tootsie heaven!

Also, it can't be stolen by the other sleeper and can't slide off the bed. It is right there, warming your feet.

The trick it to "pre-heat" the bed. Put it on HIGH for 1/2 hour or so before you go to bed.

• juliekcmo
    12 years ago

I am cold/ DH is hot. We have a king bed.

I bought a double size electric blanket (standard sunbeam).

On his side is sheet, matlasse coverlet, and sometimes primaloft duvet by company store (did I mention that along with being perpetually cold, I am allergic to down!). Usually DH only has sheet and coverlet on him.

I have sheet, then matlasee coverlet, THEN electric blanket, then duvet. Sometimes I even double layer the duvet onto me, if DH doesn't require it.

I tend to turn on the electric blanket to 7-8 and Preheat the bed for 60*90 minutes before bed time. Then I turn down to about 3-4 for sleeping. Works great. I even use in the summer when DH insists on ceiling fan.

• erinsean
    12 years ago

I have had a mattress pad and an electric blanket. We sold the mattress pad after a few months....did not warm up enough. We purchased our dual controlled electric blanket from J. C. Penneys. It has a pre-heat sitting on it and it is so nice getting into a toasty warm bed.

• Mom2BoysWisconsin
    12 years ago

I also prefer an electric mattress pad. I've had both. Many electric blankets are just a yucky material. Now all of the blankets on top of my fitted sheet are premium quality, soft and lovely. I wouldn't go back to the electric blanket again.

• macybaby
    12 years ago

Consider your age before you decide. I thought a pad would be better, but ended up with a blanket instead and I'm so glad.

I'd hate to think what it would be like to deal with a hot flash or night sweats with the heat source underneath me.

I've only had to about two weeks- two days ago I was wishing it had cold setting!

It's a Sleep Philosophy from Sam's Club. Has dual controls with preheat. I think it goes as high as 20, I usually have it around 2, and shut it off before going to sleep. We keep the room around 60 now. It preheats fast, I find even 5 mn is enough to take the chill off the bed. I use to climb in fully dressed, then take off clothing as the bed warmed up.

We got this one because it was there, at a price we were willing to try. Never had one before so had no clue what it would be like.

I sure miss my waterbed, just a 1/8" pad and liner between me and 80 deg water. Never cold to get into, and NEVER hot to sleep in. Had drawers underneath, kept the clothing warm in the winter too. Turn the heater up a bit in the winter, and down a bit in the summer.

• celticmoon
    12 years ago

I am another HUGE fan of the Softheat mattress pad. DH and I say it is the one thing we never want to be without. You get to use your comfy bed covers and you cannot feel wires (unlke old electric blankets) It gets plenty hot. I heat the bed, then turn it off when I go to sleep unless it is really freezing.

It has become my 'go to' wedding gift here in the frozen tundra. Life changing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soft heat pad

• leahcate
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi all,
    Wanted come back and tell you I found a perfectly suitable blanket at JCP. It's a Serta brand and unlike the Sunbeam from Costco, it does heat quickly and well. I love that it's light weight( maybe due to cheaper materiel...I don't care!) and doesn't add much weight under my lovely, floaty down comforter. FYI, I got a queen for our king bed, just to have less to deal with. the length is fine, and there's very little over-hang on the sides and that suits me perfectly.
    I also realized why I prefer a blanket to a mattress warmer. I can get away from the heat, instantly, whenever I want.

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

Haven't you guys ever heard of electric timers?
    I have mine set to warm up about 30 minutes before I usually go to bed -- I'm a creature of habit.

Nummy. I'm like Juliekcmo. ALWAYS freezing, where my DH's body temp ran .75 degrees higher than normal. Doctors always thought he had a fever. But it was great for me. :)

• leahcate
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A timer wouldn't help me. I'm all toasty for awhile and then...boom...I get a warm 'flush' and need to toss aside the blanket. Ten minutes later I want it back on. Can't do that with a mattress heater pad.

• rjinga
    12 years ago

I found an extra large heating pad, that has an hour shut off switch, 3 different temp settings, works quickly and shuts off so after I'm asleep, I dont get baked.

Feels awesome when I get into bed, doesn't bother my DH who likes it like an ice box at night. Cheap, easy and effective.