Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovetoshop_gw

I have a blank wall in need of decorating (pics)

lovetoshop
16 years ago

Hello,

A while back I posted asking for help with paint, but unfortunatly we never did do the painting like I had hoped. (decided to keep the home with neutral paint in case we sell in the next few yrs).

At his point in time I need help with a blank wall in my dining room.

Our downstairs is like a box. You walk in and directly in front of you is the living room which we use as a play room. To your left is the dining room. Straight ahead is the family room and kitchen. Since we only have a breakfast bar and not an actual kitchen table, we eat at the dining room table each night. When you walk in the front door the BLANK dining room wall is the first thing you see if you look that way. I would love some help decorating it.

Overall my whole downstairs needs some color/decor, but we have very limited wall space and even less actual furniture to place acessories on, etc. I think this wall is my main concern at the moment. (but if you have any other ideas after seeing the pics, go ahead and tell me them!) I prefer not to paint but would love some help with what to hang on the wall. I have zero decorating sense, so please find it in your heart to help! Thanks!!!

Here is a pic of the dining room and the kitchen and family room so you can get a sense of the flow and look of the home. Let me know if you need more pic.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (13)

• lovetoshop
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just wanted to add that since I took this pic, the table has been moved back to being straight rather then at an angle (in case it matters)

Looking forward to all your advice!!
    Thanks

• threedgrad
    16 years ago

I am thinking a beautiful landscape in calming greens with lots of trees about the same size as the mirror and framed in a thick frame like the mirror. That way the two balance each other and the landscape becomes like another window looking out. That way you creat the illusion of a bigger room. The mirror would reflect the landscape which would work nicely with your view out the real window. Nice dining room set!!

• cao100
    16 years ago

If it were me I would move the shelf to the other side by the mirror. Then add a nice large painting flanked by some scones or something else with some depth.

• bluestarrgallery
    16 years ago

You have a lovely home. I agree with threegrad about the landscape print opposite the mirror in the dining room - that's a great idea. I would remove the little cabinet below the mirror.

I move the mirror a little higher on that mantle wall so the shelf stands alone. I would also remove the little shelf in the alcove to the right of the mantle and place an oblong print on that wall. The two floor lamps seems to be competing with one another on either side of the half wall - is it possible for one of them to be moved to an alternate location?

A little pop of color as an accent in your dining room and living room wouldn't hurt. Not sure what colors you prefer, but I see you have a plant on the top shelf in the living room in a kind of lime or chartreuse green, perhaps a bit of that color in a print or plaid pillow for the couch and a table runner for the dining room? Here's a couple of examples.

Again you have a lovely home and great style, I would just add a bit of color to enhance what you have already done.

{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

• lovetoshop
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks! I do think a print of some type would look nice, but I have NO idea what colors, style, etc to pick

I can't move the corner unit to the other side b/c there is a door to the storage under the stairs that needs the room to open.

• teacats
    16 years ago

Yes -- a landscape -- perhaps a more modern one would be just wonderful there.

THEN simply add a bit of the accent color on the table -- maybe a large glass bowl in a great color sitting on a dark woven tray? Or simply add a runner in the color?

OR -- perhaps a series of artworks -- hung in a tight grid pattern????

Here is a link that might be useful: art.com -- Gregory Williams artworks

• lovetoshop
    Original Author
    16 years ago

teacats- Thanks for the link. The room/house is already pretty dark and not very colorful so I think those prints may be a bit too dark. I think I may need something brighter. Keep the ideas coming!!

• mpwdmom
    16 years ago

That's a lovely dining room, what color paint is it?

As for that blank wall -- do you have some photos you've taken of places you've traveled? I don't mean people, but scenic photos -- you know...sunset at the beach, a snow covered mountain, maybe some horses in a pasture, etc. If so, blow those up and frame some, staggered a bit...either all black and white or all color with black frames.

I'm no pro but photos I've taken myself mean more to me than framed art that was someone else's vision. ; )
    Susan

• lovetoshop
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mpwdmom- thanks for the idea. We have not been very many places but did go to europe a few yrs ago so maybe there are some good ones in there...I'll have to take another look.
    The paint color in the whole house is Dunn Edwards Bone 1 + 1/2

• sue9288
    16 years ago

some beautiful stained glass wall mural to commend.

Here is a link that might be useful: wall mural

• daisyadair
    16 years ago

Here's a painting by my favorite artist, Bill Turner which I think would suit your home:

{{!gwi}}

He also has a couple of prints for sale at art.com.
    And here's a tapestry by DeWitt which you can get online :

Tapestries are nice because they come in sizes that would fit your wall, and they don't have glass over them that reflects if they are in an area where the light hits them or when the chandelier is on at night.

Here is a link that might be useful: bill turner art

• teacats
    16 years ago

Here's another artist from art.com ....... perhaps one or even two of these prints might work? :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Nicole Etienne artworks

• lovetoshop
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I FOUND A PRINT! We are going to hang it tomorrow. I'll post a pic. THANKS for ALL your help!