Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jakabedy_gw

Help my inner decorator KO my inner cheapskate!

jakabedy
16 years ago

Some of you may recall that this summer we moved from here:

to here:

Quite a big change, and we LOVE it. And I've already gotten rid of some great antiques that just wouldn't ever fit in and gotten some MCM pieces to take their places. But now I've gotten to the living room and inertia has set in. My desire to do the place right has come up against my equally strong desire to remain a cheapskate.

See, I have never in the past gotten rid of upholstered furniture that wasn't well beyond its prime. I have only had three sofas in the 19 years since I got out of college . . . and one came from my grandmother's home. (Sad, isn't it?). Hence, the dilemma.

Here is what I want:

and here is what stands in my way:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

These are perfectly good pieces. They just happen to be puffy and brown and tufted and fuzzy and . . perfect for the last house. They just don't work in this one, in the worst way that things don't work in a house. They aren't particularly valuable, but could be of value to someone. I have put them on Craigslist and have had a few people flirt with them, but no one closes the deal. (Such teases, those Craigslisters). Somehow, I can't bring myself to order the new pieces until I have shed myself of the old ones. (And I know the new ones will go off sale soon, and I will then self-flagellate as usual). My grandfather's voice is telling me I'm being wasteful. "There's nothing wrong with that furniture! You're just being fickle!"

So, help me work up the courage to take the pieces to a consignment store this weekend. I won't get much for them, but I'm sure they'll sell fairly well, and at least will go to someone who wants them. And then (one would hope) my conscience will be clear, and I won't feel as though I have abandoned a nursing mama cat and her tiny babies at the side of the road.

Reassure me that change for the sake of change is, indeed, good, and I'm not being a spoiled wasteful brat!

Comments (23)

• whenicit
    16 years ago

First, buy the stuff. It may take awhile to receive so keep your old stuff until you get new and have a chance to inspect it, etc. BTW-new stuff is fabulous.

Second, remind yourself you are a big girl now. You can obviously afford it, so do it. You will smile every time you enter that room. It will enhance the quality of your life every single day.

Third, find someone to take your old stuff who will appreciate it. Your grandpa probably also told you to be generous and to share your success with others. This is what you are doing.

IT IS ALL GOOD!!

• skypathway
    16 years ago

I love your new choices for furniture for your new home, especially that gorgeous beige chair.

Furniture is just stuff - yes we should be resourceful and not wasteful but you've had your furniture for a long time and you will pass it on to someone else who will love it. Let go of that inner voice that holds you back from happiness. I completely agree with whenicit.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Let's see, if I tell you the stuff you have now is really, really ugly, would that shame you into replacing them? Good, then they are really, really, ugly! LOL

Seriously, you need to buy the new stuff.

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

Um, I remember that house and the musical website that I watched for hours MESMERIZED BY THAT FRICKIN' AWESOME SHOWPLACE! What a COOL HOUSE!!!!!

My DH and I decided to ditch our old stuff before moving, and I'm really glad we did. It forced us to live with nothing if we couldn't pick or didn't feel like affording the new. We took our time finding the pieces we wanted, but we actively searched because we needed a place to sleep and eat and sit.

Sell the old stuff, get some back up butterfly chairs and bean bags and go to town, girlfriend!!

• noodlesportland
    16 years ago

here is what I think--you are cheating someone our of your furniture and it would be so right for them. it is like keeping a nice coat that you no longer really need or want but you keep it because you did pay for it and it is still nice.....and then 10 years later you put it in the goodwill pile but by then it is so out of style that really no on can use it. BUT! they could have if you had just seen earlier that the best thing was to move it out and on into the world!

• kailleanm
    16 years ago

Buy the new stuff now. Your house will be so crowded it will give you the push you need to knock another few bucks off the stuff you're selling on Craigslist. Lol! :-)

(If you're getting nibbles, no bites, it might be overpriced.)

Have fun shopping. I will be very interested in your changes. We also recently bought a new to us house (built in 1947) and are transitioning from a more traditional style to a MCM/eclectic look. (The slash is there because I have a hard time committing! Lol!)

I'm feeling cheap too. But I have been very lucky finding some super quality Danish modern teak pieces on Craigslist. It goes quickly now, so I troll the furniture postings daily. :-)

• love-my-lilhome
    16 years ago

Buy the new furniture.

My motto has always been ....1 yr or 5 yrs...you won't know the difference.

I had beautiful LR furniture when I retired but wanted
    something different.
    I gave my LR furn to a brother & SIL that needed new furniture baaad.
    I loved the feeling it gave me and she loved the furn.

She hadn't had new furn in 22 yrs.
    Problem solved.

Your home is lovely and you picked pieces perfect for your home. Good job. Good eye.

• black-thumb
    16 years ago

QUOTE First, buy the stuff. It may take awhile to receive so keep your old stuff until you get new and have a chance to inspect it, etc. BTW-new stuff is fabulous.
    Second, remind yourself you are a big girl now. You can obviously afford it, so do it. You will smile every time you enter that room. It will enhance the quality of your life every single day.

Third, find someone to take your old stuff who will appreciate it. Your grandpa probably also told you to be generous and to share your success with others. This is what you are doing.

IT IS ALL GOOD!! QUOTE

I absolutely agree! Great new digs and furniture!

• kec01
    16 years ago

I try and live by 2 practices:
    1. This ain't the dress rehearsal so step up and do it! and
    2. I won't be lining my coffin/urn with dollars/currency, so might as well enjoy it while I'm alive!

Look for a charity/halfway house/support group who could use your furniture.

• kgwlisa
    16 years ago

Throwing stuff in the landfill that is perfectly usable is wasteful. Finding a new home for it is not.

Assuming you can afford it and you're not taking the food out of your kids mouths to do so, why not?

IMO you already started down the path when you got rid of one perfectly good house for another. Might as well stay the course now ;). Grandpa probably would have (like most people of his generation) spent his entire adult life in one house. It's okay to do things differently than grandpa did. Grandpa probably didn't know a thing about decorating either. :) You really need to ditch that frilly stuff or the house might throw it up onto your front lawn when you're not looking. :)

• fussy_chicken
    16 years ago

If you need money from selling this furniture in order to purchase the new, then disregard my suggestion. But if money is not a factor I say give the old stuff away. I was raised to be a cheapskate too but have learned that the great feeling I get from giving with a generous spirit lasts much longer than a few dollars. Also it makes me feel light and happy to get rid of possessions weighing me down. Try it!

• User
    16 years ago

Obviously if you do need the proceeds from selling the old, then do so. However, if you don't then I highly highly recommend posting it on freecycle.org
    I have done that with some things I had that I knew were useful but I no longer wanted. It was amazing to me, how many responses I got. The whole premise of freecycle is that you can pretty much offer anything but it must be free. For security and paranoia purposes, I signed up with a different email address so I could screen. I really did not have any issues with the replies- people came when they said they would and were all normal and nice. I gave away a free standing basketball hoop, a bunch of arts and craft stuff sitting around, a music stand... and furniture is very well received as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: freecycle

• amysrq
    16 years ago

Count your blessings that you actually KNOW what you want! So many people struggle finding the right thing, making mistakes, etc. You have a clearcut plan and it makes perfect sense for the house. AND it's on sale. That is a FABulous house, btw.

I look at it like a vacation. Yeah, I spend too much on travel. It hurts a bit at the time. But have I ever looked back and said, gee I shouldn't have gone? Naaaah.

Don't show your face 'round here again 'til you've done the deal! ;-)

• User
    16 years ago

I agree - sell it for dirt cheap on Craigslist and make someone really happy! Then go buy the stuff you really want.

• sweeby
    16 years ago

In a way, it would be almost *wasteful* NOT to replace the furniture!

You've got a huge investment in architecture - and you want to devalue that investment with misfit furniture?

And what's the cash difference between selling it for a 'reasonable' price and 'cheap'? Is it more than a nice dinner out and the value of your happiness each time you walk into your newly decorated fabulous room? (Couldn't be!)

• georgiagal
    16 years ago

That was you?? Oh, funny, I just sold something on our B'ham Craigslist & have been browsing on there lately just to see what's out there. You never know. I saw your stuff & thought it was very nice & that someone should buy it. Maybe try lowering the prices before you take it to consignment & it will move. I do think Craigslist is a great way to move things & if they are priced well, it should work.

I bought a table & chairs at a yardsale for $50 & wanted to use the table for my hubby's office..perfect fit. I just didn't need the chairs, so I sold all 5 of them on Craigslist for $25, so that brought my expenses down considerably. I had 3 nibbles too at first before I got a good solid buyer.

If not, there's a pretty neat consignment shop in Cahaba Heights called Streetwise that takes lots of stuff, so that might be an option for you. I've seen some great things in there too.

• Valerie Noronha
    16 years ago

We did not move--instead we remodeled and so needed to downsize in the interim or pay $$ for storage. My experience with Craigslist in regards to furniture is that wood stuff--dining sets, bedroom sets, etc. go pretty well Anything upholstered or in oak does not. I took umteen pics of my sofa set and wasted a lot of time having people over to look at it and no offers--finally we asked a good friend who is a single mom if she could use it and we gave it to her. It makes me feel good everytime to think I helped a friend in need (who never would've dreamed of asking for it).

Now I have no living room furniture and have been shopping. I'm being very careful to make good choices because I agree with grandpa, don't be wasteful, so get what you like that you can aford and use it well and when you are done, find a good home for it. That said, there is a good chance we won't have it in time for Christmas (since I want decorator fabrics) so buy what you want first and make sure you have furniture for the holidays if that is impt. to you. Half of me wishes I had my old sofa set back--just to have something.... Meanwhile, we have plenty of chairs and cozy up in the family room

• jakabedy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You all are awesome! Please be advised that, armed with the fortitude of a herd of digital supporters, I marched right into the store at lunch and ordered the furniture. It is done!

Can I just say what great insight you all have? sweeby said: "You've got a huge investment in architecture - and you want to devalue that investment with misfit furniture?" And kgwlisa said "IMO you already started down the path when you got rid of one perfectly good house for another. Might as well stay the course now ;)."

And kec said "I try and live by 2 practices:
    1. This ain't the dress rehearsal so step up and do it! and
    2. I won't be lining my coffin/urn with dollars/currency, so might as well enjoy it while I'm alive!"

I agree!

And, yes, that was me on Craigslist. I decided more than a week ago the prices were too high, but the confounded site timed me out FOUR TIMES when I tried to relist with lower prices. I'm going to give it a go again this weekend with rock bottom prices. If no go, then next weekend we'll take them to a consignment shop.

We've racked our brains for folks who could use the furniture. But everyone we know right now with twenty-something kids is having the kids move BACK HOME rather than out. I do know of some hooligan kids, but they would tear the stuff up faster than you can roll a cigarette paper. I can't do that to the stuff. We're still trying to think of someone else who might need it, though.

So, the new pieces will be here on 11/29. Then I will be back, confused about how to arrange everything in the 11' x 19' living room that has only 15' total of wall space.

Thanks again!

• lkremodel
    16 years ago

I felt really good giving some furniture to a church that was setting up an apartment for a family who were just moving out of a homeless shelter. In our case, people from the church came with a trailer to pick the stuff up.

• holly_bc
    16 years ago

Well Jakabedy, it's my BD on the 28th and your furniture would make a VERY nice gift. :-))) It would be out of your house JIT for the new arrivals. I think it would all work perfectly - don't you? Now we just have to work out small details like how we're gonna get it from B'ham to Vancouver. LOL!!

It's great furniture that someone is going to LOVE. Trust it will all work. I know it will.

• allison0704
    16 years ago

I haven't seen this thread - did the pieces come in? Have you posted pictures? Can't wait to see what all you do to the new place. I know you're lovin' it!

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Wow your new home is great. I love the little courtyard right in the middle of the house.

Put your furniture on Craigslist and run the ads for a few weeks. It's free to advertise it, so go for it. If you can't sell it for a decent price there you can always consign it later, or put it on eBay as "pickup only" -- but you can get more $ on CL. Someone will be thrilled with it.

You can also watch CL for pieces you like better. Think of it as a trade, except you're not trading with the exact same person. :-)

• redbazel
    16 years ago

I'm enthralled.

Did the new lowered prices move the stuff via Craigslist?

Did you do consignment and how is that going?

Did you get any of your new furniture?

Do you regret anything yet?

Red

p.s. I am with Valinsv, that secondhand upholstered stuff doesn't bring much in CL, newspaper ad, or yard sale format. It had better be in perfect condition to sell well consignment. So don't you people put high prices on sofas and upholstered chairs. We secondhand buyers don't give a kick HOW MUCH you paid. We want it cheap cheap cheap!!

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert