Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emmarene9

functionality vs ornamentation

emmarene9
9 years ago

I need to have some exterior repair to my MC Cottage. In looking for a carpenter on CL I found someone who may fit and is in my area. He calls himself a tradesman. This is one sample of his work. It speaks for itself. The work I need is not anything creative but should I avoid this guy because he posted this? Or am I the only person who thinks this does not look right?

Comments (15)

• lilkitten
    9 years ago

Wow thats bad. I would avoid him.

• emmarene9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Karen

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I wonder what made him place the tile off center like that?

• rosesstink
    9 years ago

That's bad. Since he's a carpenter, what part did he have in what is pictured?

• emmarene9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Karen

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

Holy Moly! Yeah, I'd steer clear of this clown! What was he thinking?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

If that's work he's proud of, I'd avoid him.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Doesn't it depend upon the rest of the tile layout as to why the toilet isn't centered? This may be more of an issue of poor format selection for the bathroom than a poor job. I wouldn't be featuring that photo, but sometimes tile layout needs to be considered back in the framing stage. But in this case the field and border may be weird here to center on something else like the door or adjoining room.

I don't think it look good, but as a designer I would try to talk someone out of that tile to begin with.

• lemonlime
    9 years ago

I would pass.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

The module is inflexible (the size of the tile) so the cuts must be somewhere. The question is where? right at the threshold, along the tub face, at the vanity? It could have been far, far worse. Unless you can afford to have tiles custom-sized or pay to move fixtures to fit the module, there will be compromises like this. A good installer works with the customer to find the least-worst option in cases like this. Could be that's what we are looking at.
    Casey

• deeinohio
    9 years ago

To my untrained eye, the work looks good, but the layout does not. I also wonder whether the rest of the bathroom dictated the unfortunate layout of the toilet area.

I might ask to see more portfolio pics and ask for references, but wonder, like the others, why he selected this particular photo to showcase his work.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

If that's the only guy who you can get, politely ask him WHY he did what he did. What if the homeowner absolutely insisted he do it like that? You never know until you ask.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I disagree with those cutting this guy some slack in that, if the border is supposed to go around the perimeter, then why isn't it even? Maybe the center tiles have to be that way based on the rest of the room, but the edges? Nuh uh.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

maybe he only has one eye?

• melsouth
    9 years ago

Violet.West,
    So glad I had swallowed that sip of coffee before reading your comment.