Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fishstix_gw

Crack in Granite, or not?

fishstix
11 years ago

Hi Everyone. This is my first time posting here. Lots of useful info on this site so thought I would ask for your help. I'm buying a house in a planned community and just had the granite installed. I noticed a hairline 'crack' near the faucet hole cut-out. I am not concerned about the visual aspect of it because it is barely noticeable. But it is in a water prone area and worried about the structural integrity. Could anyone with experience on this matter give me their input? If it was a fissure or vein, would it go all the way through? The rest of the granite doesnt have any similar markings and looks so nice I'd hate to have to replace it. We pick the color but the builder picks out the slab without our input. The color is Giallo Napoleon.

Comments (9)

• fishstix
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The 'crack' extends through the cut-out

• fishstix
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Showing a broader perspective of location. Closing date is in October so appreciate any opinions. Should I let it be or make a fuss over it?

• ellendi
    11 years ago

It can be repaired, so yes make a fuss and have it done.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

I think it looks inherent to the stone - a natural fissure - and not a problem. But I'm not an expert by any means. Making a fuss should get someone out there who is an expert and can explain whether it is a crack or a fissure, and why. So I think a fuss is not a bad idea.

• fishstix
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Ellen. I asked the builder to inspect it. I'm sure they would gratefully 'repair' it rather than 'replace'. We do have a reputable builder but Im certain they will do everything possible NOT to replace it. I think if I bought something new it should be delivered new, not repaired. I don't have the granite expertise to know if it is in fact a crack. Considering hiring someone to look at it but thought I'd check in here first.

• fishstix
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Ginny...I was typing my last message while you posted :) I do so hope you are right about the natural fissure! The homesite is an hour away but I'll be up there to take some better pictures this weekend. I forgot to look underneath and that might help give a better idea.

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    11 years ago

I am a granite fabricator.

It's a crack; most likely a natural fissure in the stone that opened a bit due to the mechanical stress of fabrication and installation. More typically you'd see such a crack on the rail of a countertop in front of or behind a sink where the rail is only 3 or 4 inches wide.

In your location it's not a structural issue at all. If it's not a cosmetic concern for you I wouldn't worry about it. If it makes you feel better the fabricator can seal the crack with a low viscosity epoxy. Stone is a natural material and as such is going to have imperfections like this.

Note if the crack was in the front rail of the sink I be suggesting it'd be repaired or replaced.

• felixnot
    11 years ago

It's cracked. But not in a difficult place to repair, with epoxy like oldryder has stated. I think you can leave it without harm.

• attofarad
    11 years ago

I have a similar (less evident) fissure in my 3 slabs, evident to greater or lesser extent in at least 21 successive slabs. Maybe a couple of feet long. Cannot really be avoided totally, but I can avoid it for the narrow parts around the sinks.

Should I have the fabricator rod the area, even if it is in the middle of a fairly wide expanse (counter or island)?