Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salem1772

1951 Bathroom renovation: go modern or vintage?

salem1772
12 years ago

Planning a renovation of master bathroom in 1951 home DH grew up in. Desire larger space for storage and elbow room as well as killing off incredibly ugly yellow and brown tiles and awful, rundown fixtures.

Spending lots of time on Bathroom forum and have assumed the new bath room would have an up-to-date look, traditional. Tonight cruising the Internet I stumbled on a site for people who actually want a 1950's look for their bathroom (and whole house). Some of their renovations were eye catching and stirred pleasant memories of my grandmother's bathroom. It got me wondering if I ought to reconsider the direction I'm heading. Should i renovate with a vintage look in keeping with this home's era?

I am generally a respecter of history and the integrity of a space, but I am just so sick of the these gross colors, the teensy wall mounted sink, the grout lines of 4x4 tiles, etc. This house still has a couple of knotty pine paneled rooms and a few other 1950's features, and though I don't have plans for a wildly contemporary look to this bathroom, it definitely wasn't going to be vintage. But now, I wonder ...?

Anyone have a 1950's house with an updated but vintage-like bathroom? Can I see some photos?

Comments (23)

• arcy_gw
    12 years ago

What do you want? How long will you live there? What do you hope to be the resale? The more individual you make a space the less appealing it is to others. I would go in between your two choices. "Ultra-modern" is a look that will fade. For a job to be done "right" when talking more "permanent" fixtures IMHO they should not evoke any sort of time/theme/style. A bathroom should be functional above all else. Do you want it to be a conversation piece or a comfortable place for people to take care of their needs?

• southerngalinnyc
    12 years ago

I adore this renovation... I am dealing with 20s pink, pink, pink... and green, green, green. Seriously, there are tons of great inspirations in the bathroom forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: mid century to dream bath

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

I assume you were reading RetroRenovation? Definitely one of my favorite blogs. I've learned to embrace our early 60's ranch for what it is and work with the character of the home. We have no planst to move.

My advice is that it depends. Many bathrooms in our neighborhoods are pink or other colors, but we didn't seem to get one. How good is the condition of the tile and the layout? You can get replacement tiles if you really like them. And although 4x4" tiles may not seem trendy, they seem to be so "out" they're in again. I don't think the look ever goes away. See Stacyneil's reno in the link at the bottom. She used 4x4" tiles in her reno, and they look fantastic.

Our hall bath. We kept the 4x4" tiles and had the tub reglazed. It has held up very well for 6 years.

Mostly original

After

Before

After

Here is a link that might be useful: 4x4 tiles looking good

• andee_gw
    12 years ago

I remember years ago on the bath forum that several people lamented their colored bath, but didn't have the budget to totally renovate. A particularly memorable reply for me was someone who advised "Embrace your puce color!" (or whatever it was). Even with sickly yellow and brown, you might be able to make a great look with lighting and accessories. The worst thing you can do, IMO, is what I've seen done when I walk through Open Houses with bathrooms of that era, is to see some of the original tile/fixtures left in place, but the sink pulled out and replaced by a totally inappropriate cabinet.

• youngdeb
    12 years ago

In our old house we had a couple of those two-toned bathrooms and the colors just weren't all that nice, but I liked the general style of them. So when we redid one of the baths, we used basic 4x4's and pencil liner to recreate the original design in fresh colors. Along with basic white ceramics, it was lovely...

• chucksmom
    12 years ago

Again. Retrorenovation.com or savethepinkbathrooms.com (other colors included!). I'd go vintage, but that's just me.

• bungalow_house
    12 years ago

I'm a stickler but I vote vintage to keep it in synch with the house.

A benefit to that is that in 10-15 years, a vintage bathroom will not be "dated" and need replacing again. Use good quality materials so you get maximum life out of them.

I'm hoping our vintage kitchen outlives us. :)

• User
    12 years ago

IMHO while it's always nice if we can keep with an era or style of a house it's not always practical or what we like. You said yourself that there are many elements of your vintage bathroom that you're sick of and the style or decor you are most drawn to is modern. Memories are great but I think you should stick with the path you're on because in the end you'll have a space that you won't have buyers remorse with and probably won't tire of as quickly.

• powermuffin
    12 years ago

You can certainly do vintage with a layout that you want, fixtures that work for you, and all the functionality that you need. Really it is just about design. 4 x 4 tiles work the same way that subway tiles work, same functionality. I would base the decision on the rest of your home to make it cohesive. Is the house in general, MCM, vintage looking or has it been "updated" and no longer looks its era?
    Diane

• marcolo
    12 years ago

I love vintage, but if you choose something more modern or transitional, you can still make it flow with the house. I think a traditional subway would look silly (why put a 1920 bath in a 1950 house??), although a more modern glaze or size would be fine.

I don't think you can make this choice on a theoretical basis. You have to find looks that you like, and then compare a few options. I'd start by looking at Antique Home Style and a few other sites for inspiration, put together some mood boards for more vs. less vintage looks, and see what floats your boat.

• rosie
    12 years ago

Lizb, I agree that it is all about design, but the 1950s had a lot broader range than the now-kitschy cliches we tend to associate with them. How about going for a more sophisticated mid century look? The elegant kind more characteristic of expensive, architect-designed homes of that era? Your local main library likely has glossy magazines from that era to research and photocopy for ideas.

• mahatmacat1
    12 years ago

Youngdeb, you did *great* work!

• Happyladi
    12 years ago

I wouldn't go very modern (like vessel sinks) but you don't want it to look like it was done in the 60's either. How about a classic look rather then a vintage look?

• hhireno
    12 years ago

I like what youngdeb did to her bath. I think you should make the changes you need space & storage-wise but replace the ugly tile with colors you like in a size that respects the original bath.

Good luck. Be sure to show us before & afters.

• birdgardner
    12 years ago

I like the 4x4 tiles in my two baths but they are neutral colors. But not the tiles in my mother's house where I grew up - blue and yellow. Especially the yellow. Yellow tub. Yellow sink. Yellow toilet. Yellow tiled walls. Yellow floor. Yellow tiled vanity top.

But still there is something fitting about the 4x4 tiles, at least the ones in tolerable colors, something non-assuming, modest, functional. It's a matter of taste of course, but a lot of bathroom renovations leave me cold - they say "look at all this marble or granite. Money was spent here." And sure, some renovations are wonderful, the bathroom's comfort and functionality is improved, they express the owner's personal style rather than signalling status according to the fashions of today. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Porcelain 4x4s somehow seem softer, warmer than stone tiles, the rounded edges and grout lines give them a quilted look, a little dimensionality to the walls.

In my 4x7 master bath, I left the grey 4x4 tiles alone on the walls and in the shower, covered the floor tile (see below except mine was blue and grey) with off-white 8x8 tiles in a running-bond pattern, replaced the blue toilet with a white. Took out the over-sized blue, square,
    wallmount sink and putting in a smaller, rounder, white one with a wallmounted faucet. Bamboo pattern wallpaper to come.

Here is a link that might be useful: fifties floor tile

• salem1772
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the fabulous thoughts! Y'all are great and QUICK!

I agree with so many of your posts. . .

Having taken another good hard look at my 1951 house, my DH's home place (we will never sell or move), over time has lost the usual trappings of a 1950's look, except for this awful master bath, the porch floor made from broken red tile pieces (can't remember the proper name), the knotty pine paneled den, etc. It is traditionally furnished with antiques, hardwood floors ---- sort of a classic look --- which I plan to maintain.

Inspiration rooms include the fabulous "Staceyneil DD bathroom renovation" and the "mid century ugly to dream bath" which both have a timeless look, I think. The 4x4's in a running bond and a calmer color are appealing features I could go for. Don't worry, no vessel sinks for me! And no fancy marble or granite either; I'd love it, but have to be realistic about DH habits and the upkeep. I want a comfortable pleasant space with minimal headaches.

I think a new "classic look" master bath with a respectful nod to some 1950's features will be the plan I'll go with. Hoping for demolition in January. Will send photos of progress. Many many thanks to each of you. I do so appreciate your time and attention.

• runninginplace
    12 years ago

I remodeled both our 1950 bathrooms, and had the same thoughts/issues as you did...I don't have any photos handy of the hall bath, but in there I went modern-spa influenced. A very neutral tannish tile, dark wood vanity that is very similar to the one northcarolina just posted and white walls.

However in my master bath I decided to go traditional, and really like how it turned out. Looking back, I sometimes wish I'd done a marble hex floor for a bit of contrast and textural interest but at the time the contractor talked me out of it. It is very white, but for me that is fine; I like the clean look. And it doesn't get nearly the use of the hall bathroom so keeping it nice hasn't been an issue.

The bathrooms in my house are very, very small, about 5x8 each. Here are some pictures of the MB. Sorry the views are almost identical but the (#*$& room is too small to actually get in and do panorama shots :).

• salem1772
    Original Author
    12 years ago

More lovely and tasteful bathrooms! Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with this kind of renovation!

Northcarolina: I had to laugh when I saw your before shots --- I recognize that sink and faucet, medicine cabinet, and floor ---- only my sink is smaller, pockmarked, rusty, and the valve stems are showing because chunks of the chrome sleeve have fallen off. And how about years of using the window sill, the back of the toilet tank, the back of the sink, and one little glass shelf to put all your stuff?! And did I mention mold (no ventilation), cracked tiles, a shower faucet with guts so old parts can't be found to stop the dripping? I just cannot wait to swing that sledge hammer!! I appreciate seeing the 4x4 before and the subway after. Nicely done!

runninginplace: nice job with the subway tiles. Tell me about your shower size and materials and how you clean it. Where do you put all your stuff? Do you have a cabinet somewhere in the bathroom?

Thanks all.

• jmc01
    12 years ago

Our yellow and brown tiled bathroom, the home I lived in or came home to from 1954 to 1989....I'd love to have that room back in my life...

• runninginplace
    12 years ago

"runninginplace: nice job with the subway tiles. Tell me about your shower size and materials and how you clean it. Where do you put all your stuff? Do you have a cabinet somewhere in the bathroom?"

I decided to eliminate the bathtub when I remodeled since I hadn't used it EVER and only used the other tub (in hall bath) maybe once-twice in 20 years. So the shower is basically the same size/footprint as a bathtub. It feels so large and luxurious to me! The floor is the same hex tile as the rest of the bathroom and the walls are the same subway tile as the rest as well. Something I learned about on the bathroom forum and used and would definitely recommend is grout colorant. It is generally something you put on grout to restore color or cover dirt/dinginess. However it was suggested that if I wanted white grout I could just do white grout colorant immediately. I did and boy was that a great idea! I find that it has kept the grout looking good with minimal effort. To clean the shower floor I use some Comet then a splash of very dilute bleach water. Clean the subway tile with the bleach water as well. The shower glass is a breeze to maintain using a Mr. Clean magic eraser. Those things really are magic on glass--just dampen the eraser, wipe down and buff with a dry cloth. Presto, sparkling clean.

As for a cabinet, that was the achilles heel of doing a pedestal sink in a teeny tiny bathroom. After I took those photos I found a perfectly sized little 3-drawer cabinet at Target. It is tucked between the toilet and exterior wall (not shown). Holds toiletries and miscellany and along with the medicine cabinet it is adequate. I've linked below to one that is similar from Target, although as noted mine has drawers instead of the glass door. But the dimensions are almost identical.

The reality is I will never have a bathroom with storage space for towels, toilet paper, hair equipment et al. So I just store those things as close as possible--bedroom closet, linen closet in the hallway--and avoid drooling over larger bathrooms :).

Ann

Here is a link that might be useful: Small bathroom storage cabinet

• dretutz
    8 years ago

I just bought a home from original owner. It was custom built in 1952. The kitchen had that hideous yellow and brown tile. Although the room itself is 13'7" X 11'8" the counters were in half the room which was split by that classic one foot wide 3 foot long "peninsula" ending in 3 shelves. I gutted the room and will have soapstone counters installed on white cabinets--but the backsplash will be an homage to the era of the house. Planning on white 4x4 matte tile with a dark green pottery (Malibu tile) pencil liner and wide green pottery frame over the range where the 4X4 will be on diamond. My bath BTW is gray 4X4 with glossy burgundy trim. Ugh.

• l pinkmountain
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I think you should expand your horizons and develop your own style. Your bathroom doesn't have to have marble or faux marble tile that is all the rage. You can do glass tiles, subway, ceramic, printed, plain, mix and match, many sizes. You can create your own look. If the tiles are in good shape, I would keep them only because those tiles are a breeze to maintain. You can have them re-grouted. Or save a few in one area and redo the rest. If the bathroom is in bad shape, then I would go retro. I love color in a bathroom! I'm not sure I would like the neon ones of the 50's, but mine is aqua and white with yellow accents, I love it! I think the other posters are right, develop your own style bearing in mind what's going on with the rest of the house and also what you like. Can't go wrong with traditional, IMHO. Develop a design esthetic using the tips others have suggested.