Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momo7_gw

Kitchen lighting help, please

momo7
11 years ago

I'm picking out a houseful of lights this week and of course spending more time on the kitchen lights than all the rest of the house but it's the most important room, right?

So, I have four recessed lights and I had the electrician put in 5 boxes for ceiling lights thinking I would have three small ceiling lights, on both sides of the range in front of windows and over the sink along with 2 pendants above the 6-1/2' island. But now I can't really find small ceiling lights that I like and can afford. Do you think it would be too much to have the two biggish lanterns with the three smallish pendants?

This is my inspiration pic, a woodstove that will be in the same room (opposite side from proper kitchen), my hood, range, some stuff I have, the colour of the walls where the woodstove will be, and the lights.

Comments (9)

• momo7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A picture of my layout might help

• jillandmatt
    11 years ago

I think having 5 lights hanging down might be a lot...will you also have a chandelier over your kitchen table? We were going to put a light hanging over our sink but opted not too. We also have the same lanterns that are looking at. I love them!
    Here's a pic:

• momo7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's you! Your kitchen is where I first saw them - they look so nice, I just fell in love : )

I was afraid it might be too much. Now what to do? I could put a recessed light over the sink since there's a hole there already but on either side of the range? I dunno. Look harder for a small ceiling light that I like and can afford? Help me, please.

• babs711
    11 years ago

My opinion is that the two lanterns over your island and the hood will be too much with the two pendants next to the hood in the same line of sight with all of that and the windows. The hood and two pendants and windows is plenty to focus on. If this were my kitchen, I'd make those two recessed and do the pendant over the sink.

We had an open plan where it could have easily been overkill with a lot of hanging fixtures. We have three pendants over the island and an informal chandelier over our parallel dining table. Along with that I put small Hudson Valley ceiling fixtures (Sutton) over the sink and window seat (in the dining area). They're unobtrusive and high enough that they don't disrupt the flow of everything else the way a pendant would. That could be an option for you. You can search my finished kitchen to see what we did. You may even want to opt for something like that over the sink (instead of a pendant) and recessed next to the range hood.

• momo7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Babs711 - wow, I totally missed your kitchen (I'm a sporadic gardenwebber), it's beautiful, as is your whole house (did you frame the drawing from your dd?) I wish I was done. We are also going to have a dining table parallel to the island and a windowseat too.

So, you say recessed lighting over the island. That must be pretty radical, no? I really like the little lights that you have. I couldn't do those with the lanterns? How about smaller pendants instead of the lanterns?

• finestra
    11 years ago

I love the lanterns and wanted them but ended up going with a hexagon shape. But I still covet the square.
    I would only do the island pendants and maybe a sink.

• momo7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

finestra - thank you for chiming in. Well, it seems pretty clear that it would be too much with everything.

I kind of think I could use some lighting on that range wall. Those will just be open shelves on that wall so I wasn't planning any ucl. Although I gues I could. Should I try to get over those big beautiful lanterns? Something like this instead?

Would that still be too much?

• babs711
    11 years ago

No no! I think you should do the lanterns over the island. But I'd nix pendants at the windows because I think I will make things cluttered. I'd do either recessed or a small ceiling fixture as we did over our sink. I'd do a matching treatment over your sink. Either a small ceiling or a recessed. But definitely do the lanterns!!

Thanks for the kitchen compliments. The thread was going for a while! I'm glad I could help!!

• momo7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, babs711. Okay two lanterns and three small ceiling lights. I would love to get yours but I would love to spend less money even more. I'll see what I can find even though I feel like death warmed over. Why is my whole family including me sick? Why can't Mommys call in sick?

Sorry for the whine. I think this will be the light over my dining table - because we're silly.

Still okay?

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz