Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corman930

15' deep kitchen wall cabinets with 24' deep countertops? Help!

corman930
13 years ago

Our custom cabinet maker wants us to get 15" deep kitchen wall cabinets. Our countertop will be 24" deep so I am confused if we should stay with the standard 12" deep wall cabinets. I see most people recommend 15" deep wall cabinets if you use 30" deep countertops. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (23)

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Seems like that layout would be uncomfortable for the countertop work space.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

i would do 15" uppers.

is your countertop only 24" because the base cabinets are smaller than average? I hope you are planning to have some overhang.

• corman930
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry, base cabinets will be the standard 24" with standard countertop overhang. I just don't know how 15" deep wall cabinets will affect access to the counter. Or will look odd? I see the benefit of deeper wall cabinets, but should they only be used with 30" base cabinets?

• eandhl
    13 years ago

If you are doing inset cabs you really want them deeper than the standard. I just measured ours and they are 14 inches.

• countrygal_905
    13 years ago

My one wall of cabinets has 15" uppers and 24" base. It's my long run. My short run where my baking zone is has 13" uppers.

• danielle84
    13 years ago

Is this counting your doors and granite overhang?
    15 inches uppers are good for larger set of dishes and gives you lots of storage space for whatever. I would go with 15 and 24 (add 1 inch for counter overhang)
    Do you have an island for your preping?

• corman930
    Original Author
    13 years ago

danielle84, I don't believe it is counting the doors. Is a standard 12" deep cabinet 12" inches + door depth? It will be an L shaped kitchen and we won't have the space to have 30" deep base cabinets. We will have an island for preping. My main concern is the the countertops are still usable with the deeper 15" wall cabinets for a person 6' 2" tall.

• danielle84
    13 years ago

Our upper cabinets are 13 inches deep plus 1 inch for the doors and the base cabinets are 23" plus 1 for the doors and one more for the overhang of the granite (25" of counter granite)I think that would be great for a tall person.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

If it weren't for a mistake in positioning our windows, I'd have them myself.

• artemis78
    13 years ago

I would figure out what you plan to store in them and measure. Are they face frame or frameless? With face frame inset doors, you do lose a lot of internal space and need to factor that into the sizing. The dimensions are usually the outside dimensions of the cabinet box, so the big thing to ask would be what the interior dimensions will be. Ours will be 13" face frame cabinets, which gives us 11.5" inside, and clears our plates by half an inch. A 12" cabinet would have been too small by half an inch.

Also, if you're going custom, you don't necessarily have to choose 15" or 12", either---13" or 14" might be a good middle ground to get some extra space without too much impact on the counter.

• Fori
    13 years ago

If you're doing custom, why not make the base cabinets 27" instead of 24" and have the best of both? (My custom cabinet maker didn't charge extra for my 30" base, 18" uppers--well, not for the box anyway--hardware etc. of course was more--because it added up to a standard sheet of plywood and didn't cost them any more to build).

Those extra inches are dreamy, both on the countertop and in the drawers below.

• Nancy in Mich
    13 years ago

For that matter, your choice for the base cabs are not just 24 or 30, either. Pull the 24" cab out three inches and you will have 28" deep counters and the 15" uppers won't be in the way as much.

You are going to have to try it out with cardboard or paper, sr something if you want to see if your DH will be comfortable. There are too many variables for us to say how it will be for him. You need to figure out how low they will come (how much space between counter and wall cab). Mock it up with cardboard or grocery bags taped to your current cabs to see how it feels to him.

If DH is that tall, you may want to consider making the island higher. He has got to stoop to use regular 36" high cabinets. Having at least one work surface that is comfortable for him seems only reasonable.

• svwillow1
    13 years ago

We did one wall with 16" deep uppers in oder to hide a small microwave inside. The did not in any way interfer with the use of the countertop below, and the extra storage was useful. In fact a number of imported European cabinets we looked at had 16" uppers as standard.

• pence
    13 years ago

your KD probably suggested that bec plates are getting bigger and if you use chargers, they're huge. Why don't you measure your plates and figure out what interior depth you need. You will NOT notice the extra inches while prepping.

• sandykay
    13 years ago

We have 15 inch upper and 30 inch lowers. bumped out the lower cabs to make the frig "built in".
    {{!gwi}}

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

My uppers are 14" with 28" lower counters - we had standard-depth lower cabinets and just pulled them out to match our deeper vintage stove. Almost any countertop material can be cut up to 30" deep at least. LOVE the extra room in the uppers, and the more counter depth the better. Highly recommend.

But like Rhome, no, I don't think you'll notice or mind the slightly deeper uppers over a normal-depth counter. The deeper uppers are well worth it.

• polie
    12 years ago

I'm debating this same issue now. I would need the standard 24" base cabinets, but am considering 15" deep upper cabinets. A work friend says he and his wife really regret going with the standard 12" deep upper cabinets.

For any other GW people who have gone with 15" upper and 24" base cabs since this post was active, do you like the arrangement or does it make using the countertops uncomfortable and weird? (I'm in a narrow galley kitchen so having 30" base cabs or sliding the bottom cabs outward from the wall wouldn't be great.)

Thank you.

• Tomer Busidan
    6 years ago

I know this is an old thread but how have opinions evolved on this? I'm planning a kitchen redesign and am planning on 15" uppers over 24" base cabinets (sadly 30" base is not an option due to doorways). I see several folks that mention having this, are you still happy? The counter still provides room to work?

• kazmom
    6 years ago

Tomer - we had this arrangement at our old house and loved it. Only reason we aren’t doing it in our remodel is that we are trying to cut the budget some.

• HU-121854825
    4 years ago

We recently did our kitchen and my upper wall cabinets are 15” deep and only 24” tall. Standard base cabinets. i Was a little worried with the design but love the open feeling! The back splash is taller than normal but the shorter cabinets totally open up the space and give us the more European look we were desiring. Also being on the water one walks in and you eye immediately focuses on the water. I’m short husband is tall and while I can’t quite reach the second shelf I have plenty of cabinets for all my needs.

• Charles W. Hermann
    last year

I know this is an old thread, but if anyone sees this and has faced my issue, I sure could use some ideas. We currently have 14" deep uppers from the 1930"s, which we love, and are currently in a long overdue remodel, which could involve up to 15" deep uppers. Our problem is the corner wall cabinet. Neither angle, at 24" sides, or eazy reach style, can come with 15" sides. While a 27" angle comes with 15" sides, I don't have 27" of wall space. I have considered an online RTA who will make a frameless easy reach in any size, have a face frame/door made by my cabinet supplier, but with 15" sides, I would have a door opening of approximately 12" I believe. Does this sound feasible?

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    last year

Charles respectively start a new thread with a drawing of your kitchen with dimensions. Your description makes no sense (but skip angled corner cabinets from the 90’s)