Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auntie_ellen

Aaaaarrrggghhh! Overstock and online rug colors...

I need new area rugs for my kitchen. I have wool area rugs from Homegoods that I love. They are 7 years old and I sadly spilled some wet, gooey dough on one of them - the other is worn from my vacuum cleaner. I've checked Homegoods and nothing in the size/shape/color I need. On overstock there are 2 I'd consider but the reviews indicate the color isn't as shown!!!!! I did order one from O before (that we love) for our office but we hadn't painted yet so the color didn't matter. Any advice?

The 2 rugs I'm considering

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Handmade-Taj-Mahal-Green-Rust-Wool-Rug-2-x-3/3572653/product.html

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Hand-tufted-Antiquities-Wool-Rug-2-x-3/1404021/product.html

I admit - I'm very matchy, matchy. Anyone have these? What would you do?

Comments (4)

• User
    13 years ago

I dont usually like to match either but I have 2 2x3 and 2 runners in my kitchen that match. I also couldnt find anything that coordinated well enough for my taste to be in the same room. I bought mine at Home Depot. They are synthetic but in the kitchen they perfect for spills. I have one runner behind the island, 2 smaller ones by the cooktop and larger sink area and then one runner that leads into a small hallway from the kitchen to the laundry room.

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

I hear you with the rug pics and colors. I've ordered 2 rugs from Overstock; one I'm very happy with, the other less so. The one I like was a more expensive, hand-knotted rug that had no feedback. I was however able to determine it was a Safavieh rug and found better pictures elsewhere to see what it looked like. For this rug, the O picture was actually pretty accurate. The other rug, was also a Safavieh rug, but a tufted rug. The reviews were actually right on, but I just didn't fully comprehend how I felt about it. The rug shed horribly for several months and is only now starting to decrease. It also was more muted.

My advice would be to try to avoid a tufted wool rug if at all possible in any high traffic area--esp. a kitchen. A synthetic rug would be better if you cannot afford handknotted. Not sure what you mean by matchy-matchy: if these match with what you have there now or match with one another?

• susanwrites
    13 years ago

Ditto on the frustration trying to buy rugs online with no color feedback. I've spent weeks looking at rugs and just last night ordered a bunch of them.

I can't help you on your rugs as I'm not familiar with them but I can mention another place to check out and that's SelectRugs. They seem to almost always have 30% discount going and often a 40% (which I got by asking them in online chat.) I got Oriental Weaver rugs, some of which I had seen at Macy's, at a heck of deal, free shipping, etc.

• auntie_ellen boston
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, everyone! I meant I AM matchy, matchy. Can't help it. I want the rugs to match the curtains, etc. With RUST and SAGE colors.

It looks like the rugs I thought would work are Safavieh hand tufted. Come to think of it, so are the ones that are there. I REMEMBER the shedding now (it was 7 years ago). Hmmm. Good point!

The SelectRugs website has a great selection. Off to peruse it now. Thanks again!