Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjinga

Does anyone decorate all year round?

rjinga
14 years ago

or is there down time, or seasonal down times? I'm finding it really a challenge to get stuff done with regard to painting and redoing pieces I have in my garage, The weather is hindering me. So I guess it's much easier to refinish furniture in the warm weather (unless you have a shop, which I do not have).

I know decorating inside can be done anytime, but what about painting and such?

Comments (5)

• oopsie913
    14 years ago

never a down time for us...seems like we are rehabbing or remodeling or finishing up projects year round. The only time we stop is the first couple of weeks if we are selling our home, and then we get to go out to dinner a lot LOL. Most houses always need something done, even newly built. I wish there was such a thing as a house that was just 'moveinable' As far as refinishing and painting. We do things in the basement (unless you live in a place that doesn't have basements) if the weather is not good and obviously exterior painting when weather is warmer. I think if we had no basement, that would be a problem unless you use a space heater. Good luck,

• neetsiepie
    14 years ago

I paint all the time. In fact, I'm getting ready to repaint our MB. I'm probably going to wait till New Years weekend, but yeah, I paint all year round. In fact, we tend to do more of our indoor projects during the winter time any way, since warm weather is dedicated to outdoor jobs.

If you get the low VOC paint, there are no fumes. I've noticed that most paint anymore isn't nearly as stinky as it used to be, so painting year round is no problem.

• amysrq
    14 years ago

I stopped all of my indoor work during this past gardening season. I was starting from scratch with a new house (blank slate) and my first vegetable garden (community garden plot). Essentially, I did nothing inside between March and November unless you count the three-season porch. My window trim is still not painted and since it needs to be warm enough to open the windows, so I can't do it this winter. Another year goes by...

I will be painting walls however. And I think that there will be lots going on in my kitchen this winter and spring since my builder has agreed to replace my kitchen counters in January. I'll probably get a new color and will be "starting over" WRT tile and paint and WTs. Yikes!

• never_ending
    14 years ago

I live in the northeast, and most of my many smaller decorating projects take place during the dead of winter. I am getting ready to re-finish my dining room table, and re-paint my dining room.

Spring is devoted to cleaning, purging, and the outdoors, while summer is a mixed bag since I have the summers off. Usually I devote my summers to my bigger projects because I have more time. I guess Fall is my down time.

With the holidays, we were looking at family video's from 2006, and I was AMAZED and glad of all the work I have done since then. Two bedrooms,(late summer and early fall) two baths,(one summer, one winter) a set of cabinets painted,(winter) a stairway,(summer) the downstairs wood floors,(summer) a total dining room gut(winter)re-paint kitchen to go with newly done cabinets(winter)

My DH commented it never stops, and no, it never does. =)

• bonniee818
    14 years ago

We will be painting after Christmas from a water heater leak. I do have a foyer little round skirted table that I change for the seasons.....I am usually decorating all year long as a usual rule. Good luck with your projects!
    Bonnie