Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorishopaholic

Hallway mirror help

lorishopaholic
10 years ago

I am really struggling with this hallway. I have tried so many things here and patched so many holes it's ridiculous! I need some help and you guys have been so helpful in the past I thought maybe you would have some guidance for me. Here is a pic of the hall with its current mirror. I liked it at first but now I am second guessing thinking maybe it's a little plain or predictable? I had some curvy iron mirrors up at one time but the almost competed with the iron railings on the stairs. That's what made me think maybe a less ornate mirror. Any help or suggestionswould be fabulous! Thanks!

Comments (44)

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another view off kitchen

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Off foyer

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One option I have been looking at.

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another

• msrose
    10 years ago

I think it looks fine, but nothing special. There's something about round mirrors that I love. I think they're more interesting.

This post was edited by msrose on Sun, Dec 8, 13 at 12:11

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! Where did you find some of these?

• graywings123
    10 years ago

I love mirrors. But, a mirror on a wall should have a purpose - to reflect back something beautiful, or to be in a primping spot, or to provide additional light. A mirror in that location doesn't seem to serve any of those purposes.

Have you given any thought to putting a large picture there? Or a grouping of pictures or framed photographs?

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Graywings- When we first moved in I had a set if three panel mirrors on this wall. My husband and daughter had a fit when I swapped it out for a large picture because they liked having the mirror to check themselves on the way to the front door or before coming into the kitchen. I went back to looking for mirrors for that reason. Lol! But, I do like how the mirrors make that area appear a bit wider. On the other hand if I could find just the right picture they would just have to deal with it. Ha!

• carsonheim
    10 years ago

what about a photo wall with a mirror incorporated? Lets your DH and DD check appearance before leaving, and also adds decorative, personal touch.

• msrose
    10 years ago

lorishopaholic - Sorry, I just did a google search for round mirrors.

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! So, what is everyones opinion on having a mirror on this wall. Is it weird to have a mirror there? I guess I had not even thought about that. I just thought it would open the space. Hmm. Carsonheim- that is a great idea! I'm not to crazy about gallery walls but some of the more simple elegant ones I do like. Maybe some sepia prints with a mirror in the center?

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Lori, you might try putting a narrow console table underneath the mirror so it doesn't look so lost and lonely. You can get them as narrow as 12" deep so they don't obstruct the ability to walk by. I just bought one today for the end of my hallway! (See my recent post "How did you decorate the end of your hallway?"). Yes, it is only 14 inches deep.

Google "narrow console table" and "narrow accent table" to see choices.

I like the mirror very much. Maybe get one with silver hardware (or change it to silver hardware) to coordinate with the mirror frame.

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images - narrow console table

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Sun, Dec 8, 13 at 19:02

10 years ago

This one is only 12" deep.

Carol

• Pieonear
    10 years ago

Love the yard, I love the 12 inch deep table. Where can I find that one? TIA

• Faux68
    10 years ago

I like this mirror from horchow. I planned on putting it in my foyer with a table under it. The foyer was too narrow. Instead I put a full size leaning mirror from Horshow and really like it. I love the drama of such a big mirror. I get dressed from head to toe and check out my outfit there often.

I used the round mirror in another spot. I like mirrors and think they can be art when an interesting mirror is chosen.

• msrose
    10 years ago

I don't think it looks odd at all to have a mirror there and you said your family uses it.

10 years ago

Mammie,

Here are links to the two pictures I posted (first one is in the U.K.). However, I found mine on Craigslist. (Double-check the dimensions on any before you buy - they are sometimes 14" or 16".)

Also, did you see the link to Google images in my previous post above?

http://www.thedormyhouse.com/product/all/tables/2011-swedish-narrow-console-table-

http://www.livingroomwarehouse.com/console-table-ivory-finish.html

http://www.livingroomwarehouse.com/console-table-brown-cherry.html

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Brown-Cherry-Slate-Solid-Wood-Console-Table/6230574/product.html?refccid=U7AZR7MXLDU3W6KHZ3BVTGB3BQ&searchidx=26

Good luck!
    Carol

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the help I tend to second guess and over analyze when it comes to decorating. I think I just need to come up with a more interesting mirror. Possibly adding some pictures on each side??? I am leaning toward this mirror. I have liked it for awhile now it is just so expensive so I keep holding off on it plus worried it will get here and I won't like it there.

• Valerie Noronha
    10 years ago

I second the suggestion to add a narrow console table to ground the mirror. I also would suggest to mount the mirror vertically, which would serve better the purpose of the last minute check on your appearance before going out the door.

• Faux68
    10 years ago

Here is what I have done. I am not sold on it yet but I love the mirror. I need to figure out how to make it more interesting,

• romy718
    10 years ago

Faux, now that's a mirror that you can really check yourself out. It looks great. i also love that runner in front of it.
    Lori, I think the last mirror you posted is gorgeous. I also think a narrow (depth) console table is needed. That was my first thought when I looked at your original picture. I'm sure you could find something great to go with the last mirror.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Lots of wonderful Horchow mirrors on Ebay at great prices. I think you need a mirror with either a thin frame of black to relate it to the stairs or in a wood frame. I feel the silverish frame competes with the rich wood of the stairs. I'd look for one with some interest in the shape.

Here is a link that might be useful: mirrors

• amykath
    10 years ago

I like how faux has the large long mirror. Maybe you can try that but you might want to hang it so you have ample room to walk in your hallway.

Another completely different idea would be to place to large pieces of art, one on top of the other. Does the mirror reflect back something you like to see, or do you use it as a quick check before heading out the door. If the answer is no to those two questions, I would use some pieces of art to add some interest and color to the area.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Lori, is the mirror you love Bernhardt? I saw an almost identical mirror today, in a different finish.

• msrose
    10 years ago

lori - I think that mirror would work. Lamps Plus has lots of mirrors. Maybe they have something less expensive that you'll like.

I meant to ask you earlier what paint color you used in your house. Looks like a good neutral color.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lamps Plus

This post was edited by msrose on Mon, Dec 9, 13 at 20:53

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Romy718-the mirror is a Uttermost. Where did you see the Bernhardt? Maybe it is a better price. I hope. Lol. Thanks again for everyones suggestions. Faux68 I love that huge mirror! We have almost the exact same staircase!!

• Faux68
    10 years ago

I know Lori! Also, I feel that our hallway width is similar. I so badly wanted a table with a couple of lamps and two benches under the table. It just didn't work.

I totally under stand wanting a mirror there. Not only is it nice for a quick check before you go out but it reflects light and brightens the area.

Aktillery mentioned putting two pieces of art on top of each other. That reminded me of an idea I was tossing around. I was going to put two rectangular mirrors hung horizontally parallel to each other. I found a mirror that had 3 circles with a reclaimed wood frame. Have you seen it? I have run into it at a few different stores. I love that piece and I think it has an artistic flair but the mirror is functional and serves a purpose. I looked this morning and could not find my pictures. I am adding a picture that will give you an idea of what I am talking about but isn't the picture I am looking for. . My biggest issue with this was that one mirror was over $700 so the space was going to cost a lot of money and overall my oversized mirror was less costly. I love my mirror. It is much nicer in person.

I struggled a bit with this area. I really knew what I wanted and once I finally accepted that it didn't work I tossed around a lot of ideas before finally settling on the oversized mirror.

• Faux68
    10 years ago

I forgot to mention that I love the mirror you posted. If I didn't have a budget I would put two side by side. Your space can handle it and it would be a great focal point. I found your mirror on eBay. I am not sure what price you were quoted but I thought it was costly.

I really like uttermost. They have so many unusual pieces.

Here is a link that might be useful: Uttermost/eBay Prisca mirror

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Msrose- Thanks, my wall color is keratin (frazee) but color matched at HD. I love it! Finding the right color was another dilemma but I finally found the right one. It only took like 37 samples. Ha! Faux68-I would love to have two of those mirrors but unfortunately it is not in the budget. But, I so loved your leaner mirror but didn't think it would be wide enough for my hallway. It looks like my hall wall is longer. So, I started thinking that I will put a leaner mirror on a smaller wall in my foyer. If you look at the second picture I posted you will see Santa and it is the wall behind him. For my hall wall I picked up somethings at Homegoods tonight. Here is what I have done so far. Any suggestion? I for sure like it better then the one mirror I had up.

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another view- Do you like the frames off set or should I square them up?

• romy718
    10 years ago

Lori-you did that in one day? It looks GREAT! Can you come over to my house & figure out what to do on a couple of my walls? What are the pictures?

10 years ago

Lori, I love it! WOW!

Carol

PS. I also vote to not square them up. I love your placement. It's whimsy that works! :)

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 9:08

• amykath
    10 years ago

i really like what you did Lori! It looks awesome!!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

That looks great Lori!

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i'm joining a bit late here... i like the arrangement, but would square up the pics(are they all the same??) and go alittle larger with the mirror!

i prefer the mirror you like from uttermost---- i really like alot of their mirrors!! i think the problem of just a mirror on the wall was it seemed alittle plain without a table or something- so even if you hung the larger uttermost, a couple of prints or candle sconces or something may help it look more finished...

• graywings123
    10 years ago

Very nice! Love the mirror. I would not square them up.

• Faux68
    10 years ago

You did great!! I am so impressed that you just went for it. When I am finally brave enough to bring something home I lean it on the wall and fret over it before I am willing to commit and hang it.

I think you should leave it exactly like you have it. It has filled that space very well and now your husband and daughter have their mirror and you have your art. Done!!

• romy718
    10 years ago

Did you get the mirror & pictures at HomeGoods? I think it looks absolutely perfect & want to copy your idea.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Just saw a mirror on Joss and Main that reminds me a lot of the mirror you've been looking at.

event on J&M ends tomorrow, it's called the Barton Wall mirror.

I really like the vignette that you put together in the hall, but agree the mirror could be bigger.

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much! I am really liking it. The pictures are just matted frames that I got at Target. I am not sure what I am putting in them yet. I am thinking maybe a set architectural prints in sepia tone. I like that RH kind of look for pictures. But would love suggestions. The mirror came from HomeGoods. mlweaving-thank you for the heads up on the mirror I will check it out just in case.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Thanks Lori!

• Pieonear
    10 years ago

Love the yard, thanks so much for the links. I'm still looking. Again, thanks!

• msrose
    10 years ago

It's perfect! I wouldn't change a thing.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

It looks nice...but I'd still like to see a demilune underneath the mirror...maybe a wall mounted one so it wouldn't take up any floor space. You can buy them or make them with a shelf bracket and glass.