Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ideamom_gw

What's the deal with Rate My Space??

ideamom
13 years ago

For those of you who saw my bedroom makeover that I posted last week from my blog ourcreativelife.blogspot.com

You all said it looked awesome, then I put the pics on RMS and had 4 stars and lots of great comments & now it's down to 3 stars. WOW, I'm shocked. Is the room really only 3 stars? Does the room really not look good? I think it looks great and all the other rooms I've ever put on RMS has always gotten 4 stars, so now I'm second guessing myself. UGH!

If you think it looks great...please go give me 5 stars to counteract all those haters. LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Please, Rate My Space if you love it!

Comments (21)

• Sophie Ingerslew
    13 years ago

Personally, I think your room is beautiful... you have done a great job creating a space that is both rich and serene. But does it really matter what anyone else thinks? If you feel great in your room, then don't let anyone keep you from enjoying it : )

• natal
    13 years ago

Why even bother with a site like that?

• tfm1134
    13 years ago

I thought your room turned out beautiful but agree that I wouldn't give a hoot what anyone would think. If you love it than that is all that matters.

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

Rate My space has some members whose greatest joy in life is downrating things.

Ignore them.

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

ideamom I'm one of the people here who loved what you did with your room. Sorry - I don't "DO" Rate My Space. I was registered at one time long ago but that place is just not my cup of tea for many reasons.

I do enjoy posting things here and getting a pat on the back or suggestions for alterations from time to time, so I can understand if the same sort of approval from that site means something to you. Unfortunately at RMS, simply because of the rating system, it seems to draw people who are in it for less than constructive reasons.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Ok, I did not see your room and have not looked at it just so I could give an unbiased post. I have been on rate my space maybe twice - looking at renofans kitchen.
    It could be that perhaps, your room is only a 3 because in the grand scheme of 5 star bedrooms, magnifecent architecture rules. So does taking things over the top and taking risks.

Look through the bedrooms at Country Living and you will see what I am talking about.
    Now, this doesn't mean your bedroom isn't lovely, only that you live in a regular house, like most folks, and have done the best you can with what you have, which usually doesn't include elaborate moldings, beamed ceilings or interior rock walls.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bedrooms

• IdaClaire
    13 years ago

I have to agree with Natal. RMS is not in any way, shape or form an accurate measure of a room's beauty, functionality, or "worth." I posted my pics there when the site was relatively new, but it seems to draw the same type of anonymous "haters" as do Yahoo news stories that invite comments from readers. (Have you ever read any of that stuff? The blatant ugliness spewed is enough to make a decent person's toes curl.)

RMS isn't "real" and should not be taken seriously, IMO.

• ideamom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, thanks! I'll stay away from all those haters!

• always1stepbehind
    13 years ago

I personally like RMS to get inspiration and ideas but for whatever reason, some of the people can get down right rude with their comments.

I don't know exactly how the ratings work on RMS but I did notice that you didn't get any nasty remarks. Which in itself is a positive.

Like others said, I wouldn't worry about the rating. If you like it, that is all that matters.

• nanjean68
    13 years ago

I looked at your blogspot. You have a very nice bedroom with nice accessories. So why worry about what someone else sees. Are you bringing people in and out to look at your room? It should be just for the two of you and forget about how PotteryBarny it should look! Who cares except you two?

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

I gave you 5 stars yesterday and your rating went to 3.2 only; someone must have given you a very low rating so it takes time for the good ratings to bring your number up. I had not been on RMS in a year at least.
    Your room is gorgeous, btw.

• rsvlle-nj
    13 years ago

I think you should enjoy your bedroom and forget about RMS. You didn't go into your remodel with the idea of winning approval from a website. You and your family are the only ones that matter.

Relax and enjoy.

And I don't do RMS.

• nicole__
    13 years ago

I agree with what bumblebeez said.

Your room is lovely. I'd be proud to have a room like yours... a 3 is very GOOD!

• tuesday_2008
    13 years ago

You have a lovely, serene room. May I ask where you got your drapes?

Tuesday

• redbazel
    13 years ago

When you post a question or comment here, or ask for input on wall color, rugs, furniture, or accessories, you are quite likely to get some good (and kindly worded) comments and suggestions. We all have our screen names and must stand by what we say. Plus, I think we are most of us, invested just a little in each other and try not to say something hurtful or put someone down, just because we may not personally love something they do.

But on a more anonymous forum, where someone can just click a star to rate a room, you are dealing with an entirely different dynamic. Plus, some misunderstand the star system and may rate a room they really like as a "1" because they think it means it's a first rate space. Also, if you post here and say...

"I've repainted and made some changes in my bathroom. What do you think?" I may respond by telling you that it all looks really nice and I love the new wall color. But if you post a photo of the new bathroom on a ratings-oriented forum, and I'm actually rating YOUR bath up against three others, YOUR bath may only get a "3" because I happen to like Miss Peach's wall color better, or I don't really care for your Snowman soap dispenser and Miss Apple's soap dispenser is an antique Ball jar, which I love. Do you see what I mean? It doesn't mean necessarily that RMS ratings that are low are by "haters"...(and I really don't care for that term anyway!) it may just mean that when you put yourself out there for Ratings, you aren't just asking for feedback---you are asking to be Rated. See what I mean?

Red

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

IdeaMom, you really need to worry less about what others, especially anonymous others think about your home. RMS has gone down hill just like HGTV has. In my opinion it's like their real estate shows where being mean is popular. Sad, but true.
    When I do give ratings on RMS I always give them five stars, meaning they're a "hit" in my book. I don't rate "misses" because of living by the Thumper Rule. "If you can't say something nice don't say nothing at all." That doesn't mean "misses" to me aren't "hits" for someone else including those whose room it is. You're room lovely. Enjoy it.

• yogacat
    13 years ago

I don't understand the point of rating when there's no way to know what the rating criteria are. "How much I personally want to live in that room" is very different than "how well the composition works in the space that I can see in the photos". The latter would matter to me but not the former. If the composition wasn't working, I'd be hoping for constructive criticism.

• callie25
    13 years ago

You've all given great advice. What truly matters is how YOU like your space!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I think most of us like to have affirmation from our peers.

I know I do and I am one of the most self assured people I know!
    But, if I don't get it, I'm quite ok and while it may make me carefully examine my choices, in the end I am fine with who I am- and decor is an external representation of our personality in most cases.

But Rate My Space is a flawed system for affirmation.
    As already pointed out, there is no criteria for rating and some (perhaps many) will think one is the best and not the worst!
    Go back and read all the nice things people here have said already about your room and that will make you feel better.

• igloochic
    13 years ago

My sons room is number one in boys rooms........(ok if you limit the search to 1930 safari in boys rooms lol) and it's gone up and down. I rarely check (I hadn't even been on this year lol till I looked at your room). I put mine on because I loved it and wanted to share, but really, if it ain't pottery barn, it just ain't gonna sell there. (I hate the word ain't lol).

I did try to give you a bump but really, it's a funny place. Lovely to share, but don't get hung up on it!

• htnspz
    13 years ago

I remember when I was in design school I would spend an entire semester agonizing over design projects, spending every waking moment on a project through countless all nighters to only get to the critique and have it get criticized within an inch of it's life. Your dilemma reminds me of my life in that as a designer, I am constantly critiqued and judged.
    What I always take from it is that not only will not everyone love what I do but there is always room for improvement. There are very rarely any "perfect" spaces and those that come close to it have spent enormous amounts of money creating it.
    If you want more advice and you want those here to offer any suggestions, then by all means ask for it. Otherwise, I think you'll have to come to some sort of peace that you love it and that's all that matters.

I