Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tucker_zoey

Wood island counter-too much maintenance?

Tucker Zoey
14 years ago

I'm hoping those of you who have wood counters can help me make a decision.

We are planning a complete remodeling of our 41 year old kitchen. The cabinets will be a Brookhaven white (not sure which one, yet) and we plan to use granite on the perimeter counters. The KD has suggested a wood countertop for the 3.5 by 11.5 foot island and I think it would look great.

However, I'm concerned about the amount of maintenance that might be involved and wonder if our planned undermount island sink would cause water damage. This will be our prep sink and the island will also have several counter height stools, a pullout trash bin, 2 stacks of drawers, a pullout cupboard and a cupboard with shelves. I would like to include a pulldown faucet. I will not use the surface as a cutting board, but it will be a working island, not just a place to have breakfast. The countertop would be ordered from Craft Art.

Have those of you with wood counters found them to be easy to care for or are they a maintenance nightmare? Would spray from a pulldown faucet create problems? Could hot dishes or pans damage the counter? How often to you need to oil them? Do any of you have experience with this particular manufacturer?

TIA for any guidance, warnings or reassurance you can give me.

Sarah

Comments (16)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

I have never had a wood countertop, but I, like you would be skeptical. I know you must be able to keep them since they do sell them for countertops, but just what it would involve I don't know. I think I would opt for the same granite used on the rest of the kitchen.

• nc_cowgirl
    14 years ago

allison0704....is this product "Good Stuff for Wood" something that you just wipe on or does it entail sanding, then putting product on?? Thanks for your help!

• allison0704
    14 years ago

The link is where I've purchased it from. They applied it -following the directions - after making the counter, which did include sanding.

When we've reapplied since moving in, we do not sand. If you want, you can go over the counter with very fine steel wool between coats, but it is not necessary.

If you do not follow the directions and end up with swirls, etc they can be removed with fine steel wool also.

Here is a link that might be useful: Good Stuff for Wood

• jiggreen
    14 years ago

I had a piece of glass made to cover my wood-topped island. Overall, I'm happy with the decision..here are the pros and cons......

Pros:
    I can set hot stuff directly down on the island (supposedly it's heat resistant to 500 degrees..I haven't tested that out yet though!)
    I have the look of the wood, and the ease of cleaning up the glass.
    The wood stays nice, and I don't have to worry about water rings

Cons:

It was expensive!
    Fingerprints
    It does scratch (I do not let my family set scratchy stuff directly down on the glass...I have place mats in front of the two eating areas, as well as a butcher block cutting board for setting things down on)

• chihuahua6
    14 years ago

I had them in my last house for three years. I had maple but they had two coats of marine epoxy sealer on top, not oil. I had an undermount farmhouse sink with sprayer. The wood got wet often and never had any damage.

• Tucker Zoey
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to all of you for the tips, recommendations, pros and cons, and photos. Your input is really appreciated!

• nc_cowgirl
    14 years ago

allison0704.....thanks for the info and link! I'll save that for sure!
    Dana

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

Sarah, we have a wood island countertop, but opted to do soapstone at the end where the prep sink is. It's the best of both worlds for us - no fuss maintanenace around the sink, and I don't worry about water with the wood island countertop. BTW, we finished our wood with Waterlox and the upkeep is really easy. While we do minimal "prep" on the wood island, we eat at the island daily and always serve buffet style from there when we have guests, plus sit there to read the paper, use the computer etc etc so it gets a heavy workout.

Eliz

• Tucker Zoey
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Elizpiz, could I trouble you for a photo of your island countertop showing the two surfaces? That sounds like an excellent idea - thanks!

Sarah

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

Sarah, happy to! Here you go:

Let me know if you have more questions.

Eliz

• rhome410
    14 years ago

We also used Waterlox to finish our wood island top and opted to install our sink as self-rimming. We don't baby it and just wipe it clean like any counter. We don't put hot things on it or cut directly on it. It's definitely a work island where we do our prep and baking projects. I would think with an undermount sink, you would want to protect the wood underneath for a certain distance around the sink.

• Tucker Zoey
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Elizpiz. I searched the forum and found a link to photos of your kitchen - it is absolutely beautiful! Your countertop looks great and the seam between the soapstone and wood looks perfect. We will seriously consider this option.

Sarah

• suzyqtexas
    14 years ago

I have an 8' x 8' island made out of the bottom of a box car (oak butcher block) and I use mineral oil wiped on 2 or 3 times a year.

• dayenu
    14 years ago

i never put a sink in my wood counter top islands but I couldn't live without a huge cutting area that's low.I am five feet high and have had one low wooden counter in my last three kitchens. we are talking since 1978. It's essential to the way I cook and bake.

Maintenance? wash it, dry it. twice a year put mineral oil on it. you have to like the look of a working kitchen however. and not everyone does.

• friedajune
    14 years ago

Dayenu - I just have to say I saw the pic of your kitchen on your webpage (accessed through your GWmember page). Your kitchen is gorgeous. Love the island! and the pots hanging in front of the window! and the cabinets! So cheerful and welcoming. You should post your kitchen pics in a thread here with details....Please?

(sorry to hijack)