Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deedles_gw

marmoleum welding rod butt-ugly pics :(

deedles
11 years ago

So. This is what a welding rod looks like in marmoleum. Decidedly unhappy and getting un-happier as the day goes on.

As I said in another thread... REALLY? This is the solution for seaming these beautiful sheet of linoleum? A strip of plastic that doesn't even match the color of the floor?

I have a call in to the flooring guy and someone is going to fix this. Now way we're paying this price for this end result. Take a look:

Thoughts?

Comments (9)

• poohpup
    11 years ago

Oh my! I think I'm thinking what you're thinking.

That floor looks gorgeous with your green walls. But what happened to your checkerboard pattern? Your buttery yellow and brown with possible hints of green? I must have missed something.

I hope you get this resolved!

• bahacca
    11 years ago

The scratches are totally unacceptable in my book, and I've never even looked at this surface before. I just googled and everything I see about welding rods says that they MUST be Marmoleum brand when using that surface. Did the guy try to use some knock off brand?

• bahacca
    11 years ago

This might help. Looks like several have had it installed without using the welding rod.
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/flooring/msg090139198121.html

• deedles
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pooh: This isn't the kitchen floor, it's in a small bedroom, but that is the color I was going to use for the checkboard with the butter color. (love the green.. BM wythe blue)
    Bahacca: I don't know what the H he used but whatever... it ain't staying.
    I've talked to the flooring store manager and forwarded her the photos. I assured her that this is not okay and something will have to be done. The scratches are actually melted welding rod that has melted into the surface of the floor... the installer tried to get it off with mineral spirits and couldn't. DH tried and says he can't scratch it off with his fingernail, it seems to be now 'one' with the flooring. And, can you see the 'puckers' along the seam line? And parts of the seam line aren't even with the flooring surface so there is a 'trough' to catch dust and dirt. I swear with God as my witness...okay, a little dramatic but to say that I was really p****ed right now wouldn't be an overstatement.

• senator13
    11 years ago

The scratches are most likely from the welding rod as you said above. Marmoluem sheet is difficult to install and even morsel if you have someone weld the rods. In the end all the seams will look more like tile with welded applications. Our installed who has done a lot of the Marmolueum commerically said that he never reccommends the welded joints in residential applications because people don 't like the look. He said in a residential application the are not neccessary, either.

• senator13
    11 years ago

The scratches are most likely from the welding rod as you said above. Marmoluem sheet is difficult to install and even morsel if you have someone weld the rods. In the end all the seams will look more like tile with welded applications. Our installed who has done a lot of the Marmolueum commerically said that he never reccommends the welded joints in residential applications because people don 't like the look. He said in a residential application the are not neccessary, either.

• sjerin
    11 years ago

Oh, my. I hope you get a re-do from the company, Deedles.

• deedles
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi sjerin: Thank you for asking. After some discussion it was decided by the flooring co. that they will be replacing half the floor and will be using a butt joint seam. They checked and the same lot is still available so it's been ordered. Someone posted about using non-marmoleum welding rod and we think that might be the case as well. I've ordered samples of what should have been used and if it doesn't match we'll be refunded the cost of that, too.
    The lady was very nice and quite apologetic. Glad we didn't have a fight on our hands. But. We're now three for three in 'professionals' that don't know what they're doing. Jeepers that's disheartening.

• sjerin
    11 years ago

I'm so glad it's working out for you, without the big fight. And sorry you're having trouble with contractors. I keep reading that it's important to have qualified person put this flooring in but it sounds like you thought you had done that! I hope everything turns out to your satisfaction.