Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
levelyn42

Powder Room finished

levelyn42
16 years ago

This is the powder room I just finished, the lace curtain I made with tension rods at top and bottom of window, needed privacy as our patio is there. Found some fabric in stock at fabric store in toile. The lamp is more just for accent, and I turn it on during the evening. Husband put the black granite tile on and I hung the wallpaper and did the painting.

Comments (24)

• patricianat
    16 years ago

You did a great job. Congratulations.

• paint_chips
    16 years ago

I like that you used an oval mirror. They are so much more feminine than rectangular ones, in my opinion.

Wonderful room!

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

LOVE it. That lamp is a really nice touch.

• User
    16 years ago

Love it! Great job.

• happy2bme
    16 years ago

Wow! Sooooooo nice!!! Great job!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

That is so pretty. Great job! I love the punch of yellow, and a counter lamp adds a lot to a bath or kitchen counter.

Which toile pattern did you use? I love how it reads rather random in pattern.

• skypathway
    16 years ago

Verky elegant.

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

Levelyn42, You have wonderful taste. The powder room is adorable and I love the little lamp in there and the window treatments with the sheers underneath. I also love the flowers.

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

P.S. I love the Toile Wallpaper and the beadboard sides and the mirror.. love that powder room.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Wow, you did a great job, I love it!!! I may have to copy your window treatment idea. Hope you don't mind.

• greenmtn
    16 years ago

VERY pretty! I also have a lamp in my powder room and I love to turn it on low at night, especially when we have guests. Really lovely room.

• les917
    16 years ago

Lovely job. The yellow flowers are a great touch. I have a lamp on my bathroom counter, and I just love walking by and seeing that warm light in the room - it seems so much friendlier than a dark space.

I love oval mirrors, and yours is great, but I wonder if you would consider painting it black or doing it in a silver finish? I think the white is kind of lost against the paper, and doing a black or silver would bring some of the stronger dark color up onto that wall, to balance the black end wall.

I would also trim out the shade on the lamp with some black ribbon or gimp, to again give it some definition against the walls.

• robbyrob
    16 years ago

This looks beautiful. I adore the wallpaper.

• levelyn42
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The bathroom was fun to do, we just moved to this 1954 ranch house two years ago so I'm slowly trying to redo the rooms. We moved from Huntington Beach CA where we lived in one house for 40 years, so moving to a new state and a little town where there isn't many stores is hard to shop, so now I do most of it on line.

Squirrel - The wallpaper book is Fairwinds Toile de Jouy, and width 27" and repeat 36", that was the biggest repeat I had seen.

My grown son didn't know why I was putting a lamp in there, he thought people would think our overhead light wasn't working, I told him it was decoration.

Les- You must be reading my mind, I do plan on putting a silver rub on highlight on the mirror. Also when I ordered my lamp from Ballard Designs I ordered a black shade but they said it was back ordered, it took a month to get the lamp. I bought another black shade but the metal fixture inside doesn't work with the lamp, so will see if husband will redo it. The shade that is on there now I think it will look better with the gimp, so guess I can alternate shades if I need to.

Thought about putting one or two pictures over the toilet but haven't found anything yet, or maybe it would be too much on one wall, haven't decided on that.

• DYH
    16 years ago

It's really beautiful! Congratulations! I love this look!

Cameron

• les917
    16 years ago

I don't know if I would put anything on the wall over the toilet, but I would consider perhaps a couple of botanical prints (maybe with some yellow in them) on the long wall opposite the vanity.

Your plans for the mirror sound great. I suggested the black trim for the shade so that you didn't have to buy another shade, but a black shade was what I was thinking, too. Looking at the lamp again, tho, I think you might be better to keep the shade white as it is, and just add the trim. The lamp is kind of delicate and airy, and the black shade might feel too heavy.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Great idea about the mirror. I thought it but then looked at the beadboard and wondered if the rub of silver would be appropriate and then thought "I might just do a glaze on that mirror."

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I'd probably do a glaze on the mirror, too, although I wonder how much as it might blend into the wallpaper too much. I do like the airy feeling of the white mirror and lamp, esp in the narrow room. The dark accent wall and maybe some dark frames or values on the long wall reflect in the mirror to bring some depth and value balance over the sink, I think.

So fresh and lively!

• teacats
    16 years ago

Really lovely room!

I have a lamp in the guest bathroom too -- and leave it on when we have guests to "light the way" LOL!

I vote for the white shade during the warmer months -- and a black shade for the cooler months.

Excellent job on the granite tile! :) MY DH was really impressed!

Yes -- some artworks as Les suggested would look nice along the long wall. Botanicals (just black-and-white prints with a yellow mat and black frame?) would be great!

• skews
    16 years ago

thank you for sharing. looks GREAT!

what color/ brand is the beadboard and trim. color, brand, style of toilet?

• teeda_2006
    16 years ago

You did a great job, the room looks beautiful. I just love that punch of yellow with the flowers, and agree that botannial prints with yellow would be gorgeous! The lamp is so charming on the vanity and must really make the granite glow when it is lit!

• levelyn42
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for all your suggestions, I bought the black trim, will pin it on first to see how it looks. I forgot to get the rub, but then read about the glaze, I've never done that before, so I'll now have to decide between the two. Our few stores we have I'll check for the botannial prints for the long wall. I was going to take a picture when the little lamp was on but the flash wouldn't go off, but it does look nice in the evening. Last night when a 10 year old boy went in there, he came out and told his Mom about the bathroom, thought that was cute.

• levelyn42
    Original Author
    16 years ago

skews- The beadboard is from HD, I don't see a brand name but it says, Surface protected with paintable Panlgard. You can leave it or paint it. The color is different than the normal white which, it is a cream color with two thin groves of white. I was going to paint it white but husband didn't want it painted, and it ended up matching the cream background in the wallpaper. The toilet, think it is an old toilet, it was there when we moved in, it is white and says Standard for the brand.

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

beautiful bathroom! Love the entire room ..your hard works shines! enjoy it!
    Ree