palimpsest

a 1/2 butt kitchen?

palimpsest
10 years ago

Aisle 24" or so.

Comments (21)

• User
    10 years ago

That kitchen would make anyone's butt look big.

• mltoms
    10 years ago

Wow. You'd actually need your cookies to stick to the pan to get them out of the oven.

• sochi
    10 years ago

Wow. Now that looks uncomfortable.

• justmakeit
    10 years ago

Lol! Isn't that what's referred to in real estate listings as a "stepsaver" kitchen?

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Who has that pic of the island squeezed in, with aisles so narrow it doesn't look like anything can open? I think that was by the same designer!

Great incentive to maintain a healthy weight though. Otherwise you won't be able to cook!

• enduring
    10 years ago

LOL, I had to share this with DH. I love the title and the comment about the cookies.

• mudhouse_gw
    10 years ago

It had better be on a sailboat, touring the Caribbean, with Johnny Depp, or IâÂÂm outta there.

• deedles
    10 years ago

mltoms: lol, no kidding.

How is that even code? There has to be something not to code about that...

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

Are we sure this is not some European kitchen?

My closet is bigger than that:-0

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

There is no way that oven door opens all the way.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here if you are remodeling a kitchen or bath and are not moving plumbing or adding electrical, you don't even need permits; some jobs that require permits can get an EZpermit or accelerated approval permit which asks for the scope of work, but does not require plans.

So IF people get a permit for their kitchen remodel, the application says "replacing kitchen cabinets and appliances" or something vague like that and no one ever knows what the design or outcome is.

I had No permits for my first kitchen remodel because I was told I did not need them because no walls were moved or removed. In retrospect, I probably did need them, because of other aspects of the job, but I don't think measured drawings would have been required.

The oven probably does Barely clear the cabinets, I've been in kitchens like this before. This is in an old, Very small house (the entire first floor is probably about the same as many kitchens posted here).

More disconcerting though, is that I have walked through rehabs that're essentially new construction and must've been fully permitted, and seen the same situation, where you have to stand to one side of the oven or DW to access it all and the doors barely clear. I have been in a number of kitchens where the refrgerator door hits the opposite run of cabinets or wall before fully opening lots of times.

I just had a plumbing rough in inspection for a new basement bath, and my dimensions are Very tight. (I am going with minimum code requirements here, because of house size and the relative frequency of use of this bath). But in the rough in stage, with minimum dimensions the plumbing visually looks like it will be on top of each other.

Maybe the inspector is used to looking at this stuff, but she looked at it, asked a question or two and was done. She didn't ask to check the plans or measure anything at all.

Of course I did a project where the inspector drove up, saw the signs posted appropriately and gave his approval without actually going inside and looking at the project.

In some ways, if you are an honest homeowner and contractor and want things done correctly and safely, it makes the process less stressful. But it also means that a lot of substandard work flies under the radar.

• rosie
    10 years ago

We haven't seen the whole space, of course, but if that's what I had to do to get enough decent work counter in the kitchen, I'd do it.

My problem wouldn't be the oven door (I'm sure it clears and I'd only try to open it from the left once), but rather getting stuff from the center of that corner cabinet. Squatting in there every time I needed something not in view would not be fun.

This could be a case study for when corner space should be abandoned in favor of drawers to a corner.

But, really, it has a window to look out and good counter space. I might well take it over any that couldn't claim at least the latter.

• beachlily z9a
    10 years ago

That would be one way to keep my husband out of the kitchen. I'm 5'2" and petite. He is 6'3" and somewhat bulky. I don't think he would clear. That corner lazy susan isn't a problem for someone like me. Uppers are more of a challenges, especially when there's not enough space for portable step stools.

• kai615
    10 years ago

I have been in worse kitchens. It really depends on where the kitchen is. I had a kitchen in a very, very small row house in Federal Hill in Baltimore that was about as small as this. The kitchen was fine and useable. I made many meals for entertaining. Now the bathroom in that house was something else entirely. You actually had to go in, shut the door, turn the corner and squeeze by the sink to get into where the toilet was. It was the strangest thing you have ever seen. I also had to buy kid size hangers to use the only closet in the 1 bedroom house, but judging from some of my neighbor's houses I was lucky I HAD a closet so I shouldn't complain.

I think different areas of the country get used to entirely more space than other areas. Even more so if you are living in newer buildings vs old. My current house is 300 years old and one of my bedrooms has a ceiling which is only 5'11". You just deal and hope both your kids don't grow to over 6'.

• mudhouse_gw
    10 years ago

One great thing about this forum is it exposes us to a very wide range of kitchen styles and challenges. Since I don't live in a very urban area, and most houses here are not very old, it's an eye opener to me that this is a current home in the US (like gpraceman, I wondered if it was in another country where space was at a very high premium.)

I agree, the window seems critical here to being at all workable.

• neitsdelf
    10 years ago

Seems ok workable to me, if necessary.

Am I the only one lovin' those drawers?

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The listing says this is on a 10 ft wide lot, which makes the widest interior dimension of the house 9 ft. I think it's probably on a 12 ft lot, netting 11 inside. Most of the lots in that neighborhood are 12 feet. This is in the narrower back wing of the house.

Its currently a 1 BR/1Ba but I would not be surprised if this had originally been a 3 BR house. We rehabbed a similar house that had a bedroom that was 5'6" wide.

These lots are no longer buildable, the lot has to be 15' to build on.

This is an inexpensive house for the neighborhood, for $297 a square foot.

This is why I get a bit snarky in the kitchen forum when people insist that 15 x 20 is a small kitchen and 3 x 7 is a small island.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This was the 5 something bedroom in the similar house. The other corner of the room is in the lower RH corner of the photo. (Bathroom through hole in wall)

• lisa_a
    10 years ago

Thanks for putting perspective on that kitchen, Pal. I still can't get over its tight fit. I'd be afraid that I'd back up a bit too much and wind up with my butt on a burner. YeeOuch!

When I first read "Bathroom through hole in wall" I chortled because I had images of the poor homeowners having to crawl through that hole to use the bathroom. ;-)

• bmorepanic
    10 years ago

How do you think they got the range in there? Whole new meaning to built-in.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am thinking it barely squeezed through or they put the end cabinet with its small piece of granite in after the range went in.

In my old kitchen all the appliances had room to be pulled out but my island also only had the soapstone top held on by gravity and it was set on cleats in such a way that it could be unscrewed and picked up and moved if necessary. Likewise in another kitchen I had the railing right outside it was made in one big mortised-and tenoned unit that could be unbolted in four places so it could be removed to move appliances.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH