Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutmegxo_gw

Hello color experts!! In search for neutral BM color!

nutmegxo
14 years ago

I am now ready to paint all the "common" areas of my center hall colonial and am in search for the right neutral color to use. I just painted my dining room Windham Cream and my living room Dried Basil. All my trim is Linen White. The neutral color will be going in my second story foyer,all the way up the staircase and in the upstairs hallway. It will also be in my family room and kitchen.

The overall color scheme of my home is creamy yellow, sage green, and touches of cranberry for accents here and there. Since this neutral color will be going all over the house (upstairs & down) it will need to look good in a variety of lighting conditions. I have heard some very good things about Decatur Buff. If anyone out there is really good with color and is familiar with the BM historical palette I would love your input.

So what neutral color would go best with the creamy yellow/sagey green/cranberry scheme? Thanks!!!

Comments (15)

• denali2007
    14 years ago

I have Powell Buff in my foyer and love it. Monroe Bisque is also a good neutral. PB is more yellow and MB leans towards green.

• nutmegxo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So would it be a good thing for me to pick a neutral that has yellow or green undertones since my color scheme has yellow and green in it? I know I should avoid the pinky undertones. I have heard negative things about Monroe Bisque.

• amysrq
    14 years ago

You have to see what Monroe Bisque, or any other "neutral" does in your own space. All those undertones that make neutrals so challenging really come into play in different surroundings -- reflected colors from other surfaces, lighting, etc. Just because MB doesn't work for Charlikin doesn't mean it won't work for you! I am pretty sure she's going with Abingdon Putty to solve her Monroe Bisque problem, btw! ;-)

• nutmegxo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay well I have been trying to research different things online and so far I understand the concept that beiges have either pink or green or yellow undertones. So I am pretty sure I should avoid the pink undertones. But since my decor has yellow and sage, I am not sure which undertone I am supposed to be concentrating on???

I also was looking at Lenox Tan and the swatch looks like it is very neutral and would work with most colors. Help!!! LOL

I will definitely sample some and put them up on the wall to test them but I don't want to buy a dozen samples. I am trying to narrow it down to a few.

• vavavoom
    14 years ago

I used BM hot spring stones and really like it.

• Sueb20
    14 years ago

I am also a fan of Monroe Bisque, and also Everlasting (another BM color). I have Everlasting in my upstairs hall, with Stone House in the downstairs hall/foyer.

• marisany
    14 years ago

I was also going to suggest Everlasting. It's one shade lighter on the same strip with Stone House. I've had it in our bathroom for over a year, and it's great.

• charlikin
    14 years ago

Charlikin here! The repainting has started! In his non-copious spare time, my super has started repainting the living room. First he spent a LONG time replastering the dining room wall that had all the water damage from the roof - he didn't like the job the other painter did. (Perfectionists - sheesh! ;-))

Anyway, I've now got a lovely coat of Abingdon Putty on most of the living room & dinette. Still have to do the foyer and hallway, and that won't get done till after New Year's, unfortunately. (Why shouldn't this drag on, just like everything else...sigh.)

It looks great! Super-neutral - very much like Monroe Bisque but without the orangey-pinky-yellow that I objected too. Very slight green tinge - VERY slight. Nice color. (Thank you, Amy, for the suggestion! ;-))

Can't wait to get the carpet & furniture, curtains, pictures on the walls... i.e. can't wait to have a HOME again!!!

charlikin

• amysrq
    14 years ago

Hi Charlikin! (waves)

Glad to hear things are progressing and that the subtle green undertone suits you. Can't wait to see pics...and I really mean that. I want to see the pillow that started it all! :-)

• parsuzi
    14 years ago

I'm not a color expert, but loved the Philadelphia Cream we used in our last house, a center hall southern colonial. To me, it read a little yellowish, but changed in different light. In this house, I have it in my daughter's bedroom. It really is a great color.

We used this with the Danville Tan (it's dark, I don't think this is what you'd want) in our Foyer, up the stairs and LR. Used Spanish Red in the kitchen (oak cabs). The red was bold, but all 3 colors seemed to work well together on the first floor of the house.

• charlikin
    14 years ago

Amy (waving back!), I can't wait to POST the pics!!!

Super just told me he can't finish painting until after New Year's. THEN I can get the carpeting. THEN I can get the sofa and chair delivered. THEN I can put the uber-colorful pillows ON the sofa and chair.

THEN I can post pics of a room that will still need window treatments, pictures, a new coffee table, and a new dining table and chairs. Can't wait.

Hard enough fitting this redecorating into my own life - I have to fit it into my super's life!!! LOL!

charlikin

• jllmb79
    14 years ago

don't mind the mess we are still building
    bm everlasting in the bathrooms

and bm north hampton beige in the kitchen/dinnete/halls/greatroom

• megradek
    14 years ago

I'm a huge fan of BM revere pewter. depending on the lighting (natural or artificial) it can take on a more grey tone or tan tone. quite cameleon like in that it looks warm in some spots and cool in others next to different colored rooms. We used it in our hallways, kitchen & family room and stairwell.

• nutmegxo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks for those pictures!! Everlasting looks a little too light for me but Stone House is now one of my contenders!

• tfm1134
    14 years ago

I have SW Believable Buff in my foyer/stairs and it looks wonderful with greens & cranberry.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County