Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hopee1983_gw

Hate my new backspalsh! Please suggest a backsplash

hopee1983
11 years ago

I know there are other important things happening in this world but all I can think of is my kitchen. Here is the link with more pics

https://picasaweb.google.com/109191725100483059586/Kitchen?authkey=Gv1sRgCNK5r_vy8YnrXA

I wish i went with my instincts. I was never sure about the 2x4 carrara subway tile but my husband convinced me because our builder was giving it at no extra charge if we wanted something different we of course had to pay premium price. The most i hate about it is the grout. I wish it was white.

Notice in the pics the kitchen looked so much better without the back splash. We are not exactly the DIY handyman kind :(

Solution by my husband: He wants to buy one of those grout pens and make the grout white after we close. He wants me to wait until the appliances are in and everything is done. He thinks it will grow on me but I just hate it. All i think about is how to get rid of it.

Please help me! What backsplash will look good in my kitchen. I wanted white subway tile.

Also, how much will it cost to remove the existing backsplash and put a new one.

Comments (20)

• deedles
    11 years ago

I can 'feel' the overall difference in the kitchen backsplash before and after tile, but honestly, it's pretty, IMO. (which doesn't count since it's your kitchen)
    I might wait and try the grout idea of your hubby's.
    Plus, I've read more than a couple threads on here with people that hated something like poison until they lived with it for awhile. Of course, some also still hated it and changed it but it's never a good idea to make decisions when you are upset. Doesn't work too well for me, anyway. Maybe give it a month?

Your kitchen is beautiful, though!

• caryscott
    11 years ago

Can't see the problem. Good luck finding a resolution.

• MeMcG
    11 years ago

I saw a show with Amy Matthews (DIY or HGTV) where they were doing her kitchen and she hated the grout. They took out all the grout and replaced it with another color. It might have still been "fresh" though and easier to take out but maybe you should look into that possibility. Still, you might want to wait until all else is done so you have a better idea of what will really work. Good luck.

• beeps
    11 years ago

Wow. That's a lot of BS to want to change out. Your kitchen is stunning and it's a shame you aren't happy with it. I agree with you I think it will look totally different if you can lighten up the grout to white. And that can be done. (Don't let them seal it as I think it is easier to do if it hasn't been sealed.) Also, will it lighten up a bit as it dries? I think it is fixable situation.

• pharaoh
    11 years ago

The kitchen is gorgeous!

The BS looks muddy because of the grout. You have hit the nail on the head. I have always recommended bright white grout for white marble on this forum for years. Nothing else looks good because other colors makes the marble look dirty especially when there is a lot of it such as subway tiles.

Is it possible to regrout?

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

I just think you hate the grout and not the tile. I had the same issue in my kitchen and love my backsplash now. Our grout was just discolored but the darker spots looked really awful. It ended up being an issue with the grout itself so my GC had to fix it. They used C-cure grout colorant and it completely fixed my issue. Time consuming but simple to apply- put on, let it dry and scrub the residue off your tiles. You can change the color to even a bright white which would completely change the look of your tile. I happen to really like it, IF it had bright white grout:)

• Linda
    11 years ago

Sorry you're not happy with the BS, although I think your kitchen is beautiful!! What kind of counters do you have? Good advice above about waiting a bit first, and then you can try the grout pens, and then go from there. Good luck!

• Circus Peanut
    11 years ago

Grout colorant from Aquamix or C-cure is great stuff, and it not difficult to apply. I'd definitely try that before anything else.

Another tip: get or rent a high quality steamer and steam that grout before doing anything else. It's incredible how much that alone can lighten up the color, plus this will get it super clean in preparation for the colorant.

• enduring
    11 years ago

Is your grout still wet in the picture? It looks as if it is. If so, expect some lightening of the grout. I did a gray grout that stood out against my marble tile. It was shocking for me when it was wet. It looked so dark. 24 hours later it was a very soft gray that I liked a lot.

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

Yup, I love your kitchen (!!!), love the tile, really don't like that grout.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I think your kitchen is very nice and the backsplash is fine.

Changing the grout may help, but if you had your heart set on white, then changing the grout isn't going to do it as the tile will still be very gray.

Of course it's easier to try to fix the grout first....try a section and see what it looks like...you can always rip out the whole thing and redo if you are still unhappy.

One thing, and it may just be the pics, but the pics pre backsplash have a lot of warmth to them due to the lighting. If it's warmth you want, not sure that white subway will get that for you either.....just something to consider before you replace the tile, should you go that route.

• caminnc
    11 years ago

Your kitchen is gorgeous!!! When my tile man was putting in my BS he was telling me how well the Aquamix works and he also said it is very easy to use. He has been working with tile products for 30 years. I think you should give it a try first.

• onedogedie
    11 years ago

I like the grout. Reminds me of the old-fashioned pre-colourant grouts. It looks vintage, not bling-y.

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

I must say I think your new kitchen is gorgeous, including the backsplash tile. However, I do agree that the grout seems like a slight miss, though not terrible. I also wonder if the grout is still wet in the picture. If not, you could possibly color the grout or have the grout replace (not sure on the cost). The biggest difference between the before and after backsplash pictures is how busy the backsplash is. I think it looks nice, but if it bothers you, I think toning it down with a grout closer to the color of the marble will help. Personally, I might choose a very pale gray grout so you can still see the shape of the tile, but not focus so much on the grout lines. I think a cooler toned grout would work better with the cooler toned marble.

• claybabe
    11 years ago

Beautiful kitchen (and I like the backsplash also :)

The photos of "before" have the UCL on, which shed a lovely warm light. The backsplash is a bit grayer than white subways would have been, but I would love to see if it is warmer with the lights on. Agree with living with it (I did this and after 5 years finally decided to change up my cabs, but by then I was absolutely sure!!) and trying the whiter grout. I like the darker grout because it defines the shape of the tile, but a whiter grout may be more pleasing to you and give you back the warmth I think you are after. Also, try different accessories (towels, etc) after you move in and see what that does for you.

I agree with what others have said about waiting, and that ripping it out before you have had a chance to try a few things may just be a very costly process without a better end result.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

I love your backsplash in your kitchen. It looks like the grout will lighten up. If it doesn't I wouldn't do anything immediately.

I didn't love the backsplash when I just viewed the picture of the backsplash.

But, when I looked at it in your kitchen in the rest of the pictures I honestly loved it. It pulls everything together, IMO.

Your kitchen is beautiful.

• hopee1983
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for your suggestions. Your compliments were very reassuring. My husband is annoyed, he thinks I am a brat and ungrateful for making a big deal about the BS. But it's hard to accept something that you are not 100% satisfied with I know eventually I will be fine but right now it's little disappointing. Spending so much time researching and the money, you want everything right.

We decided to give it some time. Let the grout dry and if it's too dark maybe lighten it up with white grout and live with it for a while before making any decision.

Little info about the kitchen:

Countertop Perimeter: Black Honed Granite
    Island: Ice brown

Thanks Again

• Sharon kilber
    11 years ago

I would first color seal it white. Right now you have a checker broad effect.After you color seal it it will all bland and will make a big difference. It is not hard to color seal it. Than if you don't like it you can alway have the whole blacksplash removed.

• Sharon kilber
    11 years ago

I would first color seal it white. Right now you have a checker broad effect.After you color seal it it will all bland and will make a big difference. It is not hard to color seal it. Than if you don't like it you can alway have the whole blacksplash removed.