Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rightdi_gw

Finally, final kitchen layout w/ pics.

rightdi_gw
9 years ago

Thank you all for your suggestions!
Annkh, your advise was perfection!!! My kitchen was revised and we were able to keep our full size fridge by pulling out the cabs like you suggested. We also decreased the length of our island by 6" and moved it to the left to help with aisle space. We also went with a smaller hood (30") that allowed us to have more upper cabinetry and changed the drawer widths below. Yay!!! I think this may be it. Now, for more decisions: sink, faucets, appliances, granite, backsplash!!! Lol.

Thank you, thank you!
Diana

Comments (6)

• huango
    9 years ago

For me, I'd move the DW to the right side of the sink.
    My work space is between the fridge/sink/cooktop, so if the DW is open, it's in the way of my work space.

I use my hood all the time (42" over 36" induction cooktop). I love how it's 3" bigger on each side than the cooktop because it sucks in steam/oil better w/ the overhang.
    Seems like you have plenty of cabinets so I would get a 36" over your 30" cooktop.

W/ no windows in the kitchen, all those cabinets are feeling claustrophobic, so a 36" hood would give the space a pause/breathing room.

good luck.
    Amanda

• Jillius
    9 years ago

I agree with both of Amanda's points. Our cabinet guy warned us strongly about damage that steam causes to adjacent uppers when the hood isn't larger than the stove.

I'd also suggest that, in addition to moving the DW to the sink's right, the sink should be centered on the island. It'd be that much more offset from the stove, so someone at the stove and someone at the sink won't be back-to-back and bumping each other, and I think the sink placement would simply look better -- more deliberate -- centered on or lined up with something.

• User
    9 years ago

With a chimney hood, you need to allow about 3" of space on each side. I can't read what yours is, but that looks like a 1 and a fraction.

• rightdi_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for more valuable advise. Now, I feel conflicted again! LOL

I would've loved the DW to right, as we are right handed and feels easier to go from sink to DW (current set up now), however, there was no way that we made it work with the previous dimensions. When we shrunk the island and changed the cabinetry size, I never revisited that issue. Total oversight on my part!

The hood is the GE Profile 30" over a 30" cooktop. The wall on the left is all windows.

I kinda liked that the sink was not centered. That was another point that I researched and saw plenty of pictures. I liked the functionality of a longer slab at one side, than it being broken in half by a centered sink. Do you think this was a mistake.

I'm meeting with KD today to sign off of final design. Now, I'm second guessing...again!

• Jillius
    9 years ago

Well, if you're going to put the dishwasher on the right of the sink, then the sink will be offset in the opposite direction. That addresses one of my issues -- wanting the sink farther offset from the stove so that someone at the sink and someone at the stove won't bump each other.

What you're suggesting -- having the sink off-center on the island -- puts the sink even farther from the stove than centering it would. So I do like that aspect of your plan. And you seem to have researched off-center sinks and like how it looks, so by all means, do what you like. There is no functional reason why you shouldn't.

However, just to make sure you like it -- your sink is going to be exactly six inches off center of that island. I'd mock up those exact dimensions (on a table or something) and see if you like it. In the pictures you found of off-center sinks, did you find any where the sink was only slightly off-center like that, or were all of them pictures where the sink was extremely off-center? In general, designers don't tend to do very slightly un-aligned or asymmetrical things because they look like a mistake rather than like deliberate design choice.

But as I said, if you either have seen a picture of a slightly off-set sink or mocked it up for yourself, and you are positive you like that, then there is no functional reason why it won't work in that kitchen, so you should absolutely please yourself.

• Buehl
    9 years ago

I did some tweaking of your design to show you other options - e.g., moving the DW. It turns out the sink is almost centered on the island when you put enough prep workspace on the side opposite the DW - so if you don't like that, then consider eliminating the seat on the end and moving everything over. That would also give you even more prep space - although I think you have enough now (approx 45").

Regarding the pantry, I presented 4 options - they each have pluses and minuses (I think I like Option #1 using Zelmar's pantry the best).

I switched the pantry and the refrigerator b/c the island was a "barrier island' b/w the Prep Zone on the island and the Refrigerator. By moving the refrigerator, the island is no longer a "barrier" to the refrigerator. Ideally, the island would not be a barrier to either the refrigerator or the pantry, but if has to be one, generally it's better to have the refrigerator in the more accessible location (i.e, not "barriered")

In addition, you now have separate floor space for the Prep Zone, Cooking Zone, and Cleanup Zone and someone working at the cooktop won't run the risk of backing in to an open DW door (and stumbling) while holding a pot of boiling water (or other hot pot/pan).

On the cooktop wall, I tried to make it symmetrical since it appears that's what you want (or at least your KD wants!)

Note the 12" cabinet b/w the 24" Easy Reach and the 48" cabinet on the cooktop run. I think a 36"x24" Easy Reach would probably be better, but if you cannot get it or prefer the 12" cabinet, I suggest using a pullout cabinet instead of a standard cabinet. Here's a link to one of Rev-A-Shelf's versions (others make them as well):
    Cabinet Pullout Hood Organizer with Wood Adjustable Shelves Wall Accessories (12" Wide)

Some options for the cabinets flanking the cooktop:
    * Two 24" cabinets on left + hood + two 24" cabinets on right (both with12" doors) + 12" cabinet + 24" easy Reach with 12" cabinet door
    * 18" cabinet + 30" + hood + 30" + 30" (18+12) + 24" Easy Reach w/12" door
    * 12" cabinet + 36" + hood + 36" + 24" + 24" Easy Reach w/12" door

Before I discuss the pantry options, here's the layout:

Zone map:

So, about those Pantry Options (see picture below)...

• Option 1 (in the main layout). Either the 30" standard pullout your KD is probably planning from the looks of it or a cabinet w/drawers on the bottom and shelves above. Zelmar has such a pantry (so do at least two other GWer, but I can't remember which ones right now!) Unfortunately, Zelmar's pictures are no longer available, but I had saved one for future inspiration - I've posted it at the end. [Zelmar, if you're reading this - I hope it's OK with you! Let me...