Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roxy2007_gw

Granite selection opinions please!

roxy2007
13 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Would love to hear your thoughts on which would look better with the cabinets shown below! We've narrowed down to these 3 choices........Thanks!!!!

Comments (38)

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

My preference is in the order you presented them--they're all incredible pieces of stone, but my personal favorite is definitely #1--it's stunning and I think the colors would look so rich with your beautiful cabs! You have a wonderful dilemma, choosing from such beautiful slabs! I can't wait to see what you choose!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

#1 by a lot

• roxy2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for your kind words flwrs n co. Both you and dianalo picked my first choice....I'm kinda wavering between 1 and 2....the 3rd slab is the hubby's #1 choice...

my biggest concern was that it may not go well with the cabinet and the room. The room is painted two tones..very light blue/grey on top and dark blue/grey on the bottom half...then a backsplash choice...

• luvmyhouse_2010
    13 years ago

I love #1 and my second choice is #3.
    Beautiful slabs!!!! Each and every one of them! Beautiful! No matter the choice, I don't think you could go wrong!

• eustacem
    13 years ago

Number 2 is the most gorgeous of the three gorgeous stones to me, but with your room I would definitely say number 1...it's got some of the dark highlights that I think would be great with your cabinets but also the gray would go well with your stainless. Let us know what you finally decide!

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

They are all nice, did you find a backsplash or a paint color that you love that would go better with one over another?

• gypsabelle
    13 years ago

hands down, #1. beautiful!

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

1>3>2
    They are all beautiful and will look great in your kitchen.

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

I also like them in the order you presented: #1, then #2, then #3. By the way, I LOVE your cabinets. Can you share details about them?

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

IMO think #3 will look the best with your cabinets but as a stand alone slab I love #1. You can't go wrong with any of them as they are all so dramatically gorgeous!! Good luck choosing and let us know which one you pick.

BTW what are the names of these slabs?? Are they the same but different lots?? Where did you find them??

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago

They are all gorgeous. It just depends what look you are trying for. One way to help you and your husband is to talk through what you are trying to do and what you like about each so you can see each others perspective and hopefully come to common ground. The first and the third seem to have more blue and light gray to them, the 2nd is darker/more charcoal. Are you looking for lightness/brightness - 1 or three would be the choice. Dark drama would be the 2nd. Do you like movement - stick with 1 or 2, or prefer the chunks and variation of number 3.

Remember that you will not be staring a this head on as you would the slab when it is horizontal and you are using it. Do what you can to try to look at it from the side because it will really have different feel and what might look busy to you head on will soften when it is installed (but you like the movement so are not worried about busy - me too :)

My vote - the third one. All the large chunks of white will be great contrast to the cabinets but it still has the warm to match the cabinets and the gray/blue. But number one is AMAZING - I can imagine wanting to dive into it for s swim when it was installed on an island. For me the 2nd one, though stunning will just be another dark tone in the kitchen. The lighter ones will make the beauty of the cabinets stand out more.

You cannot go wrong with this selection :)

• chocolatebunny
    13 years ago

I am not a huge granite fan but I have to admit all three are gorgeous.

I am afraid I have to agree with your husband on this one. I like #3 the best only b/c I really like contrast between the countertop and cabinets. I have the same color cabinets as you so if that were my kitchen that's what I would choose.

I also like #3 because it doesn't look like you have a lot of natural light in there and #2 would make it very dark all over.

• Jodi_SoCal
    13 years ago

#1 - #1 - #1

Love it.

• roxy2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oh my gosh!! I was so happy to hear all your thoughts!!! Thanks everyone for your opinions / input so far.

Chris45NY, I visited a few granite yards and they are from different ones in northern NJ.

jterrilynn, we actually had a backsplash picked out then trying to get a granite to match....needless to say....we scrapped that idea and decided to start with granite and found these 3 slabs....now we need to decide and go find a backsplash.... : )

pricklypearcactus, I got my cabs from Lowes and are kraftmaid in Kaffe finish....I actually had a great experience with the woman I worked with and Kraftmaid's been great with a couple of exchanges that were needed.

I will definitly post our final choice....we're gonna probably have to duke it out.... haha : )

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

Possible solution but depends on $$. How about #1 for the island and #3 for the perimeter?? Where I live the granite was priced by the amount used so you don't actually purchase by the slab. Of course, if all 3 slabs were at the same yard using the 2 of them may be a possibility if they charged you by the sq. ft. We were told we could do that but we didn't have an island so it wasn't an issue for us. The reason for #3 on the perimeters would be to lighten up your space. The main color in that slab appears to be more neutral with the other colors an accent. #1 has more linear/vertical movement and #3 has that in less dramatic effect and what I was told by one granite supplier the effect of taking a piece of paper-crinkling it up-to get a crackle effect-very unusual to have both in 1 slab. I don't envy you or your husband making this decision. When all else fails and you have to get only 1 slab you could always toss a coin!!! You're fortunate to have such beauties to choose from for your kitchen.

Regardless of which slab you pick I would go with a simple, quiet backsplash. The granite is definitely going to be the main star in your kitchen.

• twosit
    13 years ago

Wow, those are really beautiful slabs. They look really similar to the granites I was debating over. I find granite does not translate very well in photographs. It was making me crazy trying to decide from the pics I had taken. The granite I fell in love with was called Magma--it looks similar to your slab number 2.
    I was losing sleep worrying about growing tired of such strong choices. I am really fickle--and while I tend to like bold stuff, I also seem to grow tired of stuff.
    Compounding the situation is that we decided to go with wood floors instead of tile. Then I worried that the kitchen would end up too dark.
    I chickened out and and am going with a black granite ( I just was told I have to switch from the black ocean that I had chosen) on the surrounding areas and a lighter granite on the island. My lighter granite is really similar to your 3rd choice. It is called Tropical Treasures white. I decided doing the island in a lighter granite would help to transition the rest of the house to the kitchen and stop it from getting too dark. If I hadn't a door to put up next to it, I would never have looked twice at the light granite. See, I told you I am fickle.
    Tired of hearing about ME yet?
    Good luck with your choice!
    personally, I prefer slab 2 (just from a slad only point of view), but I think 3 would look great with your kitchen.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Wow! I like #1 best, but that being said, I think they are all fabulous! Tough choice.

• misplacedtxgal
    13 years ago

All three are stunning, but I would choose #3. The reason is two fold - 1) I like the contrast with the dark cabinetry and 2) the kitchen doesn't appear (at least in the picture) to have alot of light and you don't want the room too dark.

Is this just for the island or the perimeter as well?

• friedajune
    13 years ago

I like all 3, but #2 is too dark for your kitchen IMHO. Also, #2 is too dramatic for the decor of your particular kitchen. That leaves #1 and #3. My concern with #3 is that--at least with the slab pictured--the left and right sides of the slab are very different. The reason that concerns me is when it comes to templating, it may end up looking like you have chosen two different granites for your kitchen, if the left side of the slab is in one area of your kitchen, and the right side is in another. Unless, that is, you'd like it to look totally different in different areas of your kitchen (e.g. the island gets the left side of the slab, and the right side of the slab goes everywhere else). Anyway, I think #3 may be more problematic for your fabricator to template it evenly. So, my choice is #1.

• debinnh
    13 years ago

Another vote for 1 here. And then in order 2, 3. (Sorry hubby)

• roxy2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone!!! And we're down to two...haha Between 1 and 3.....

Everyone go to your corners....."Ding" The gloves are coming off! : ) haha

• cienza
    13 years ago

Oh these pieces of stone are just beautiful! I chose 2 first, 1 second and 3 last. I prefer 2 the most because the curly, circular shapes offset the square shapes of the cabinets quite well and the colors are not too matchy-matchy to the stain of your cabinets - the contrast is best. I like 1 second for the color & movement; although lighter in hue, still some drama there - not as much as 2 but enough to make the point. The movement will be easy to match up of you are bookmatching backsplash. As far as 3 goes, the colors blend nicely, but the boxey, chunky shapes of the granules are too large and cold; the curvier shapes are more warming to your space - especially with that steel hood.

• kitchenkrazed09
    13 years ago

#1 by a landslide. Then #3 is my second choice. I agree that #2 is too dark for your kitchen. #1 is just gorgeous!

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

All gorgeous... One or three for me. I think 2 would be too dark for your kitchen.

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

Hi roxy..

I was thinking, "Wow I really like the color of those cabinets!" Then I read that they were Kaffe...I almost went with that stain, so no wonder I like them!

Well, for the ganite choice, you may remember I'm a fan of white, (Del. White) so I vote for #3 for the contrast and the lightness of the white in it. #1 is pretty nice but I think it may be too dark overall.

Good Luck with this tough choice!

KA:)

• dreamywhite
    13 years ago

The first one if beautiful

• roxy2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

it's so crazy how often my "liking" of a granite changes...hubby likes the lighter color...so we looked at delicatus first...then the more I looked at other's pics the more I liked the look of it....but I keep gravitating to the darker granites!! the 2nd one was my original first choice....I loved the looks of it..it was so cool looking...then I saw the first one....I thought it was really pretty and also liked it alot...at first not as much as the 2nd...then it became my first choice...then hubby saw the 3rd.....we are at a stand still.... : )

• tamdave123
    13 years ago

I have Kraftmaid Kaffe cabs and went with dark granite. I love it. #1 & 2 are more my speed. When we first started looking in NY & NJ I wanted either delicatus or bianco antico, but then went with a dark granite called Asterix which I fell head over heels for.

If you choose the delicatus, maybe they have a slab without as much rust. If you see a slab of delicatus that's cleaner with some black, it's really stunning.

Good luck.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

The second one looks like a nasty storm or an angry fight. The first one looks more like nature and a meandering river. (Is it Yellow River - btw?)
    The 3rd one looks a little "messy" to me.
    I guess it is like modern art where each person experiences it differently.

• susanlynn2012
    13 years ago

I like #3 and #1. I love your cabinets!

• roxy2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Tamdave, by any chance do you have any pictures of your kitchen I can see with the dark granite combo?

Dianalo, they call it copper illusions not yellow river...unless they are the same thing?

Thank you lynn!!!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

1# is my favorite

• tamdave123
    13 years ago

Hi Roxy. Here are some pics of my new kitchen with dark counters.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

Hi Tamdave...

You've got it going on Tamdave! REEEALLY nice and rich looking! I love those Kaffe cabs and they look great with that granite and backsplash.

And now back to roxy and her difficult choice! Even I'm confused now. (I may change my vote after seeing Tamdave's kitchen)

KA:)

• tamdave123
    13 years ago

Thank you KA for the compliment. My husband was sitting here with me doing work and he said you made his day. :)

• roxy2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tamdave....I love it!!!! the colors are just like my second pic.... just so you know....we also have the same hardware! : ) haha

Well...hubby still wont budge for the seconde one....so that one is def ruled out....I still like it though...now I have another question for you....do you have a large drawer? I have one that's 36" wide...just wondering what you did for pulls if you have one....did you go with two pulls on the drawer for bought somethign like an appliance pull to have only one long pull? Thanks1

• tamdave123
    13 years ago

Hi Roxy. I really like the hardware we picked...lol. The only time during the kitchen reno that my husband almost broke down was when he was installing the handles. They have a slight curve. He had a template but he was still a wreck when he did the first set of doors.

The longest drawer I have is 30" so all my drawers only have one handle. They are very sturdy and have a nice feel - not flimsy. Not sure if you would need 2 or what the rules are for a larger drawer.

Can't wait to see yours finished!

• roxy2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Tamdave! thank goodness we have someone else putting it on.... anything special we should look out for? Again...I LOVE your kitchen! Hopefully mine will come out as well as yours!

Okay....it has been decided.....#1 wins!! : ) I think he's just tired of me..... haha.

Now my next dilemma...the fabricator said that I only need one slab since it's a pretty big slab.. 120 x 70... so I need to think about which section I should use for the island (72in by 36in).....needs to start from one of my corners....more opionions please!!!! my thought is from the top left and down 36in and over 72in to the right... do you think that'll be the best piece to showoff the slab?

Please help me everyone! Again!!! : )