Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulabrady_gw

Window and Slider ideas

paulabrady
13 years ago

I would like to have a counter depth window but am not sure of what style I should get. My house is a ranch style, maple cabs - I'll have mullions on some of the cabs. Should I get grills on the window and slider to match. I would like the white wood. Don't really want awning style because I like a better breeze if I decide to open the windows. Not sure about double hung, casement, etc. I'm tall so opening and closing shouldn't be an issue. Something easy to clean would be nice.I will need privacy as we have close neighbors. I was looking at Pella built in blinds but also would consider a different brand with separate treatments for privacy. For those of you that have grills - do they really block your view? We have a flower garden, bird houses, a garage and an alley for the view. Will probably put in a fence someday to block some of the alley. I like to look of double hungs with grills on the top. But I'm most concerned about my view being blocked. We can't get anything with arches due to our eves. Probably can't do a bay either. Any recommendations out there? Approximate window size will be 36"-40" high and 72" wide. Thank you again.

Comments (7)

• paulabrady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I forgot to post a pic.

• kitchenkrazed09
    13 years ago

I just posted my humble opinions about many of your questions in Joan2121's thread on windows. I'm attaching the link below. Scroll down to my second reply. I opted for removable grills for cleaning and am not sure about the built in blinds. I was wondering what would happen if they stopped working, became dirty-looking, or if I just got tired of the look of blinds. I opted for no window treatments. Also, if you are planning a counter-height window, you may have to go taller than 36-40". I think that's about the size of a standard kitchen window height. Our counter-height windows are 48" high. We have an 8' high ceiling.

Here is a link that might be useful: Joan2121's Thread

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Over the counter I would probably recommend casement if they are not going to cause a problem on the exterior whey they are cranked out.

Are you replacing all the windows in the house? I would probably not do a style that was different than the rest of the house unless you are changing them all.

Could you post a picture of the exterior? "Ranch" encompasses a lot of styles and some of them would look appropriate with muntins or divided lites (grilles) but this is not really appropriate for every house.

Most window companies can do any kind of pattern withing reason. You could even have the casement windows look like double hungs with divided lites on the top sash. This of course is an upgrade over the standard styles of grills or dividers.

• paulabrady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We are not going to be doing all of our windows right now. We have casement windows through out our entire house. And I'm thinking grills would not look right after all, even thought I like the look.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

The window you have is very appropriate to the style of your house. I would stick with that for the new kitchen windows.

• paulabrady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thank you palimpsest. Now I'm thinking if I want the window to go to my counter I might not want to get the ones that open out, they might be too low for someone sitting on the patio. I'll ask the window guy. thanks again

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Marvin has some beautiful Tilt n Turns, but they are pricey. They are in my dream kitchen and will probably not make it into our new one due to cost.
    Their construction is amazing and you can see and feel the quality difference, however, if we are to afford the work we are about to do, then I am afraid they won't make the cut....