Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

Flat panel cabinet doors? Show me!

CEFreeman
11 years ago

I love Shaker doors. Got 'em on my 16' 10" Tansu in the MBR, and on the cabinets in the MBR bath.

In my kitchen, which is miles of cabinets, I want something different. The thing is, I still want flat panel. I'm not a raised panel kinda girl, evidently.

The problem is I keep going back to Shaker doors. Almost like I don't realize I'm doing it. No, please don't blithely say, "well, it must mean you should have them." I don't want to do my entire house in Shaker doors.

Sooooo...

Anyone got any pics of non-Shaker flat panel doors they love? I got one off Crownpoint, but they only offer it as a drawer front. I'm also looking at one at theCabinetJoint.com, but haven't spent the money to get samples yet.

Anyone out there?

Thanks!

Comments (37)

• youngdeb
    11 years ago

Just refaced ours with flat paneled solid lyptus from Scherr's. They have stiles on the inside to prevent splitting, which I think you need if you get solid wood. I was worried that would interfere with the storage space inside, but it hasn't been an issue.

I see a lot of flat-panel veneer here and in mags, but with two little kids, I didn't think that finish would work for us.

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Those are very pretty!

I will be making inset doors, so a slab is an option.
    A slab, though is different than flat panel. Flat panel reference usually indicates some kind of framing detail.

I have used slab doors on the credenza I'm building. I really love how it looks with my beaded inset.

I can't believe you did this yourself! That lyptus is beautiful.

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

Hey Christine!
    I just got a bunch from our cabinet maker so I took pics for you : )

These are the names our cabinet guy uses, but don't know if they are universal.

1. Colonial Framing

2. Shape 2 Framing

3. Ogee Framing

4. Georgetown Framing

5. Executive Framing

6. Elite Framing

I hope this is what you're looking for being I just did this! LOL

2LittleFishies

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ooo!
    I like the Elite because it's flatter.
    Not so rounded.
    I like Colonial because it's got little ledges.

This is the type of details I'm thinking about.
    That was a lot of work. I appreciate it!

Thank you. I was having such a brain dead moment as far as choices!

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

Glad I helped a little! It wasn't too much work : )

I keep staring at them! Glad he didn't give me more to look at...

I think I know which I will do but I won't say so no one will confuse me or try to change my mind! lol

I looked at a lot of websites but the way they are usually photographed makes it really hard to tell them apart.

• youngdeb
    11 years ago

Sorry, I misunderstood!

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

"I think I know which I will do but I won't say so no one will confuse me or try to change my mind! lol"

Reminds me of not telling anyone the baby's name until after the baby is born, so that no one can disapprove or try to change your mind.

Lots of dd's friends have this philosophy. Simplifies things. Birthing a kitchen is kind of like birthing a baby.

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

red-lover- Ha! Exactly- which is funny b/c I have asked every other detail of GWers but this one I'd like to make and be done with it : )

• Circus Peanut
    11 years ago

Reminds me of not telling anyone the baby's name until after the baby is born, so that no one can disapprove or try to change your mind.

... although this also explains why I have 7 students named Ashley and 4 named Evan in my classes.

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, Littledeb, you didn't.
    Your doors are definitely flat panel.
    And definitely beautiful!
    As I said, I am using them in my credenza, and I haven't ruled them out for everything.

Between them and Shaker, I am in a pattern.:)
    I appreciate the time! Thanks.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Circus peanut--my sis teaches fifth grade and has similar experiences with names!

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

This is wonderfully instructive as I review cabinet doors types. Really makes sense now. Thank you all very much for your photos and comments. Love GW.

• springroz
    11 years ago

That "shape 2" is the door that my cabinet maker used to make my "wrong" kitchen! We left it in the master batm cabinets, and I really like it. It was NOT what I WANTED in the kitchen, even though it was so sad that I even considered it.....but if I had accepted it, I would not have gotten the beaded, which I also WANTED. Gosh, I feel like a BRAT......

Namcy

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

Reminds me of not telling anyone the baby's name until after the baby is born...

For my last (and only grandchild) my daughter said they were considering ________. It was Thanksgiving dinner. My sister made a critical comment. Boy, was that a mistake! Now we don't get any hints and #2 is due in 3 months. At least they told us she's a girl. Baby #1 got that name my sister criticized and it's darling - Declan.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

OMGosh Suzanne! My dd is due in 3 weeks and she is considering that name. It's a boy. Their last name is a good Irish name that starts with McD and they want something that sounds good with that name. Also considering Liam, and Connor.

But they love Declan.

Can you tell it's my first grandchild :-D I'm going there for 2 weeks to help. So excited.

Sorry to be so off topic in your thread Christine.

• cawaps
    11 years ago

I'm not a fan of raised panel either. They all seem to look fussy to me.

I think what you call flat panel, I would call recessed panel. Anyway, here are a selection of recessed panel doors from Kraftmaid. I chose mushroom with cocoa glaze because I thought it let you see the detail pretty well. I included a couple arches, altough if you like Shaker you'll probably prefer the square.

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

cawaps, there are some very very nice doors in that pic! I do go for the squared, but those simple arches are very clean. I like it, too.

It doesn't look as dated as some of the oak arches. Perhaps it's simply the paint and glaze. These are gorgeous.

As for hijacking my thread? [snort] I'd never, ever do something like that so yes, I'm put out. I'd never do it despite poor Abfamy's nice Labor Day successes I rode over, horse and wagon! No, never.

Now that that is out of the way.

My parents almost didn't name me Christine. In 1958 Christopher Jorgensen had a sex change and the name was infamous. They decided to do so anyway, despite "best" advice from concerned loved ones. So, I'm pretty much one of the very few in my age group with a unique name!

• Clarion
    11 years ago

One of my favorite kitchens pictured below. Flat panel doors w/ chamfered edges and 2 vertical triple beads.

• Clarion
    11 years ago

here's a 2nd pic:

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Those are quite pretty! Not fussy, but detailed.
    I like 'em. :)

Thanks!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

CF - I don't have any good pictures of ours (close up) but I think they are a similar style. I went with a slightly rounded edge to decrease dust locations (then went with a bottom trim which is sure to capture every piece of dust and flour around)
    Hope to have real pictures soon!

• mrsjoe
    11 years ago

I wish I could take a picture of my cabinet doors to show you, but alas the cabinet maker messed up the measurements and had to remake a couple cabinets, which means they had to have the doors remade, which means we are still without doors and drawers in our kitchen. Anyway, like you I liked Shaker, but wasn't positive it was "the one". Then I saw the Sante Fe door from Showplace and LOVED that it was simple without being boring. In the end, I had my doors custom made with wider stiles than the Showplace and the rails slightly wider than the stiles so the step portion would almost appear as if it was inserted into a Shaker door if that makes sense. Also, I think the Showplace door has a veneer flat panel, but we had a solid wood recessed panel made in ours.

I was actually dumb enough not to take a picture of the sample door they made before giving it back for them to keep for the cabinet it was for! Anyway I'll post the link to the Showplace door and you can get an idea...

• mrsjoe
    11 years ago

Looks like the link vanished even though it was there when I hit preview. Oh well. I'll try again. If it doesn't work just google Showplace Sante Fe door and hopefully you will find it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Showplace Sante Fe Door

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow!
    I've looked at that pattern more than a few times.
    Here is a combination I liked in addition Sante Fe:

I'd really like to see how you modified it. The thing for me was that on larger doors (24" cabs, for example) the detail becomes rather silly.

Cool!

• CabinetMakerSWP
    11 years ago

mrsjoe, this is Showplace and we love that your style choice was our Santa Fe door! You are correct that our Santa Fe style has been offered with a plywood center panel ... but ... beginning October 1st, all of our flat-center-panel door styles will be offered with solid hardwood as an option.

Why might you prefer a solid hardwood center panel vs. a plywood center panel? It improves the appearance of some specie/finish combinations (a solid hardwood center panel will "take the finish" the same as the solid hardwood door frames, plywood absorbs stain differently and it can be objectionable to some people in certain combinations). Solid hardwood center panels also add some weight to the door which makes it "feel" more substantial which many people find appealing.

Why might you prefer a plywood center panel? Generally speaking, it is a price point decision. If the specie/color combination looks good (and most do) and budget is a priority, the plywood panel is a great option.

• aimskitchen
    11 years ago

I really like flat panel doors, and DH was concerned that the doors felt lighter, and the wood was thinner in the middle than in the raised panels. Are the flat panels as strong as the raised? LOVE the look.

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

aimskitchen,
    Do you plan to kick them?
    Eight Hundred Thousand Million builder grade cabinets can't be all wrong. Imagine if you put a little more $$ and thought into a flat panel door style, how durable it would be?

I still haven't made my decision, but have had a lot of good suggestions. There's a gorgeous (to me) Conestoga door I love and will probably order a sample. I also have 2 different doors I found at my reuse center I'd die to have. I think they were samples for someone because they're both unfinished. I wouldn't know where to start with the idea of having them made.

• mrsjoe
    11 years ago

I finally have a couple pics of my flat panel door. Wish I had all of the doors, but alas... Anyway, in the pics, the minimal pattern does get a little lost in the walnut, but I would imagine if you did the same pattern in a lighter door it would stand out, even in photos.

aimskitchen, you may also want to consider that there are two types of flat panel doors. The first truly is flat, and is usually made of mdf covered in veneers. I was actually quite surprised to see even high end cabinet lines using this kind. The other kind of flat panel, only appears to be a flat panel from the front. I believe it is actually called a recessed panel because it's sort of like a raised panel that has been flipped around. You can tell this kind because the back of the door will look something like this:

Hopefully you can see in the photo that the panel is raised in the back. If you get a recessed panel you will have the look of a flat panel, but it will be solid wood and much thicker than a veneer flat panel.

• aimskitchen
    11 years ago

CEFreeman, I hope not to kick them too often, LOL, but I do have a son with titanium knees (seriously) that have done a number on ceramic tile - thus the hardwoods throughout our house, including the kitchen. He's not damaged a cabinet with them yet though, so we're likely safe and could always get another door if we had to. Mrsjoe, your cabinets are GORGEOUS, and yes, the one we looked at is a recessed panel of solid wood as well, but in this particular line and style (Bertch Legacy, can't remember the style) it didn't seem as thick as in some I've seen. I didn't look at all the door styles though, and will look a little more closely next time.

• Jodi_SoCal
    11 years ago

Here are my flat panel cabs with mitered corners and slab top drawers. I like the fact that the slabs are slightly bowed where the panel meets the edge. Kind of takes the stark flatness out of the look.

Jodi-

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

mrsjoe--I LOVE your cabs!!!!!!!!!!!!! Scrumptious!

• Clarion
    11 years ago

"I really like flat panel doors, and DH was concerned that the doors felt lighter, and the wood was thinner in the middle than in the raised panels. Are the flat panels as strong as the raised? "

When made correctly, flat panel doors are the inverse of raised panel. I.e the raised part of the panel is on the inside. Thus, no loss of strength.

If it is not raised on the inside, then yes, you would have a fragile door.

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, how pretty!!!
    I love the horizontal details, I love the mitred corners, and I love the woods you guys have posted!

Just very gorgeous.
    I'm gonna figure something out. There are so many things that attract my eye, but you guys have really got the gems.

Thanks for posting these, guys!

• lynn_r_ct
    11 years ago

Jodi, what brand are your cabinets, please? I agree about the "pouffed" edges - love them.

• Jodi_SoCal
    11 years ago

Lynn, the cabinets were a custom order (I designed them) from Valley Custom Doors. They are Cherrywood with brandy stain & chocolate glaze.

I told my contractor exactly what I wanted, Valley Custom Doors sent me a sample of my design, I okayed it and we placed the order.

Jodi-

• miruca
    11 years ago

Enjoying the education and the pics (mrs. Joes cabinets are exquisite. I agree though that I would call all of these recessed cabinets. I am looking for fully flat panels - and hoped to see a slew of pics when I saw this thread with several responses. Anyone have full flat panels out there.