Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

My grey, blue-grey, soapstone,stealth kitchen finished. repost

palimpsest
13 years ago

This is my small kitchen that I mention, occasionally. It occupies the entire footprint of the original small kitchen but looks half the size because the arch intersects the footprint. The link has before, after, and additional photos to explain how it works, and how it relates to the first floor as a whole. Understand that this is a fully-used small 1.5 person kitchen in a small apartment: no frozen dinners, full meals and intense catering quantity baking by a former pro chef/ executive pastry chef.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grey, blue-grey soapstone kitchen.

Comments (32)

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

Palimpsest,
    Your whole condo is so pretty and really, really clever! The pocket doors are lovely and very interesting. The storage built into the doorway is genius but my favorite thing is the island placement. It's a great way to set a drink down, etc or for someone else to lean on and chit chat while staying out of the work space! Oh, and I'm loving your fireplace too....

I'm always blown away by clever layouts and storage that are also beautiful. Well done! Your space totally warranted the spread in Atticmag!! Thanks for sharing!

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, I think that both the 1840 and the 1965 had to be acknowledged. There is no way you could ignore the MCM stairway cut through the space, so I framed it with that surround. Love it or hate it, it acknowledges the first major renovation done in over 100 years.

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

You know, you really did a great job of acknowledging both periods. Again, the surround was a great idea for both the form and the function. All put together, it's really hip, eclectic and cohesive. Thanks for reposting, I don't know how I missed it before.

Are those layered mirrors on your mantle? If so, another smart and beautiful idea, love the gold frame too.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I had originally posted it around the holiday and that was just a link with no picture in the message so it dropped out of sight. Maybe it was the holiday, or maybe people just don't like it--only two people have said anything :)

Scout photos of apartment in general got shortlisted by two magazines but did not make the cut because it was too contemporary in spirit for one, and too traditional in architecture for the other. The local mag was nonplussed by it, but they tend to veer between neo-Tuscan suburban, and IKEA cutesy apartments.

• lyvia
    13 years ago

That is absolutely gorgeous and inspiring. I can just imagine the conversations (my people think it's radical to have a sink that's not centered under a window.) How strong you must have been to say - Yes I absolutely do want an archway in the middle of my kitchen. Yes I do want an island in the doorway. Yes I do want my fridge cabinet outside the kitchen, blending into the stairwell. and you saying build MY vision, or leave. I shall think of you when I waver, because this is such a one-of-a-kind lovely functional design. Did I say beautiful? Love the way the kitchen shares walking space with the living room. I love the way the doors frame the space with interest- the conceal/reveal destination game. You must be so proud. Thank you for creating this beautiful space.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

The staircase is a scene stealer! Do you have a tray rack for all your baking coming out of the oven? Congrats on the remodel--super clever! I know that with a small space and the amount of use your kitchen gets, you must have analyzed and planned every detail. It is a great resource for tiny kitchens/apt. dwellers. Can you share more pics of details/close ups?

• cardamon
    13 years ago

Yes, like Sabjimata said can you post some more close ups. I love it. Everything as they said above. The backsplash looks pretty from a distance. I have canvases painted different blues in my living room. I'm not getting one light enough yet. Like yours, can you say what color that is?

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It took me a while, and kind of a paradigm shift to be able to put that archway in.

The construct around the 1965 stairs was the first part of the plan without the archways, but when I did some selective demolition I found that the moulding changed from the front hall to the main room indicating a break, and I found evidence of another wall about where the Kitchen arch now is.

Then I found some historical pictures (of other buildings) with bed alcoves or dressing rooms tucked in this area behind arches, so that sealed it. Then I had to get over the idea that the righthand door would have to stay partially closed.

Its not really "in the way" once you get used to the fact that it sticks out beyond the fridge. The laundry area is not a kitchen function, and that is what is blocked to the right.

The ergonomics are not perfect, its a tiny kitchen, but it works. Its actually about the same amount of workspace that was dedicated to pastry at the restaurant, but of course the storage was much greater.(we end up using the dining table instead of racks) To get ideal kitchen layouts in this apartment would have encroached a lot on living space.

The color is BM Ocean Air. It is very grey on the chip, sometimes with a green undertone but reads very blue in this north facing apartment.

• cardamon
    13 years ago

Thanks Palimpsest I was hoping you would say a BM color, I have their paint color deck. Even better that you have a north facing because that is what my living room is as well.
    Another one to try. There is so much in color variation to consider. Thanks for the color.

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

I want to see more! That was just a tease of what other creative genius ideas may be in your space.

• cawaps
    13 years ago

I had read the article you linked to. I don't remember how I found it, but had never associated it with you. Very striking, very memorable kitchen. I love what you did with the refrigerator. Great solution for a challenging space!

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    13 years ago

Having lived all of my life before marriage in small apartments, I find that such an inspiring remodel. Very striking, and it must be so much more enjoyable to work in your kitchen now. I agree -- more close-ups, please!

Becky

• kitchenkelly
    13 years ago

That is just a down right amazing space. It is so unique but yet has so many classic touches. I love the floor stain you did. Fabulous! Question on the island - What paint color is that? Looks like a grey?

Would love to see a close-up of the backsplash.

Bravo, palimpsest!

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The island and the stairwell walls and handrail are BM Black Jack.

The walls, upper cabinets, and back-painted backsplash are all BM Ocean Air.The trim, cornice and ceiling are BM China White---for the entire first floor.

The floors took a week to get that color. The pores of the wood had to be opened, and the finisher said that they could never be sanded because they would be so thin they would need to be replaced. The floor gets Swiffered every day, its not the most forgiving of dirt or dust.

I will try to take some more pictures. The kitchen proper is so small its hard to get much in the way of details with a regular camera.

• Gena Hooper
    13 years ago

So cool! And what a creative, smart use of space. Thanks for showing what you can achieve with a small space.

• kitchenkelly
    13 years ago

I just bought BM China White and it is a lovely color. I think I almost bought BM Black Jack for my exterior door but went with a different color. (I think I made the wrong choice. That color looks great with the white.) Dark floors are so hard to keep clean but when they are .....they are so worth it.

Again, your space is fabulous. You should be a designer ;-)

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Your renovation is so innovative! The stairway treatment is incredible and integrating the frig is beyond creative! I love your glass backsplash and have wondered why glass (not glass tile) isn't used more. Like many others, I'm looking to maximize my storage since my kitchen is fairly modest in size--did you use any innovative storage solutions (since it certainly looks like you've maximized the functionality of your space)? Also, what stove do you have and are you happy with it? Thanks so much for sharing!

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The cabinets in the kitchen proper go to 8 feet, and the one over the W/D is deep. I would've gone higher but they hide ducts from other apartments below me on their way to the roof.

The cabinetry on both sides of the "box" goes to 9-1/2 feet and is 24" deep over the fridge, 18" deep on the hallway side. It also contains a 4-gang outlet and cable so the electronics and cords are all hidden. I need a Kik Step in the kitchen and an actual step ladder for the highest storage around the stairs.

The range is an all-gas Amana slide-in. I didn't have an unlimited budget, and a Subzero was central to the design so the range was chosen by price, and by dimension. I needed one that did not project far from the face of the cabinets. The adjacent drawer clears the handle by about 1/16"--in humid weather, I press my hip into the oven handle so the wood doesn't rub: its that close. Dual fuel was not an option in my building. Amana no longer makes any slide in ranges.

I did not allot any "fixed" space for the microwave.It sits on the counter back in the corner. If we *really need the counterspace for something (rarely) we pick it up and move it. The corner cabinet has a pullout. I have seen better than I have, but this one is ok.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Storage in the "box" open:

The counter tucked behind the arch is the spot for things we don't want to see from the LR.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Fabulous digs and great use of space!!!

• westsider40
    13 years ago

Stunning. Creative. Unique, obviously. Beautiful in every way. Very thoughtful. I so appreciate your posting.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, everybody. Here is the rest of the room. This is why I felt it was important to suppress the kitchen. With the exception of the stairwell added in 1965, the overall proportion of the room is intact 1840 and I didn't want the kitchen to make a strong statement from the point of entry.

When you enter from the apartment hallway, here is the view:

Here is the reverse view:

The kitchen is tucked back:

And here is a better view of the entry hall:

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

Fun to see your home! Just dropped by kitchens for a bit- glad I did- it's wonderful.

• oldhouse1
    13 years ago

Palimpset, You mentioned that perhaps people didn't like your kitchen because you weren't receiving many posts.Your first pictures didn't quite do your space justice. After seeing the additional pictures you posted only then did I truly understand how ingeneous your space is. I absolutely love it. I hope everyone takes a second look so they to can appreciate your creative ability.

• kitchenkelly
    13 years ago

Wow! Your place is fabulous. I love that dresser, the red chairs and the mirrors(?) around the entry. You should post pics on the decor forum. I am sure the gang over there would love to see your work.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

What a fun home!!! Full of energy and color, thanks for linking over here so we can see the whole place. I love the eclectic feel.

• amysrq
    13 years ago

Oh Pal, I think it is just gorgeous. Thanks for the pics. But now I don't want you to move...

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks.

I have been hesitant to show too many pictures because the kitchen was going to be put on the blog, (done), and at various times there were scout pictures going through the screening process at a couple of magazines. Now that the apartment is on the market, some of these shots are on the real estate tour, and the last magazine just informed me that the apartment didn't make the final cut, so there is no particular reason to hold back on the photos.

amyrsq--I may not be moving who knows? I don't foresee having a place with this kind of scale in the future, and I will miss that. But I am ready for something different.

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

Wait!

Pal, you're a chef? No kidding?

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

Everyone else has posted what my reactions are...I'll just add that I gasped a little tiny bit when I saw your -- Laurel lamps? Are they? Or are they something else? And the living room furniture...and the entry rug...and the dining chairs...

Thank you for deciding to post your pics. Is this the same apt. with the original bathroom tile? Did you remodel the bath too? Sorry if I missed where you mentioned that. Any pics of it?

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Let's see:

1) if you didn't click the link at the bottom of the first two pictures, do that to see some original condition photos.

2)I am a Dr., I got an interior design degree after my first renovation. I use my ID degree occasionally to do jobs for other people.

3) My SO is an interior designer who got a degree after being a chef for about ten years. Practices ID primarily, but does baking for other people.

4) The lamps are Laurel. I found one around the corner for $65 and waited years for the other. The Milo Baughman Trend II chairs are from eBay, again, it took a while to find two--I have three, the second one I got was a different size. The stools are Mccobb, again I had three at one point. The dining chairs are Nakashima for Knoll through DWR, not Nakashima Studios--can't afford the real, real thing. The runners are from my parents house, as are the 1970s leather pillows. The Gentleman's chest has been in SO's family since new in the early 1800s.

I might put together a side to side before and after of a couple areas to show the process.

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

Pal, you're one of the most interesting gardenwebbers out there.

The kitchen is genius. Very nice use of space, and I LOVE those pocket doors.

The rest of the place is just amazing. Very interesting mix of styles and vintages, and it totally works.