Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashleymking

Need help with odd space in layout

ashleymking
13 years ago

We've recently gutted our 1930 tudor kitchen are are now having doubts about our layout. With the age of the house comes a very small kitchen and some awkward nooks and cranies, one in particular is the area that used to house the ice box many MANY years ago. We had planned on leaving this area as is and either putting in pantry cabinets or using it to house our trash cans and open shelving.

However, it was recently suggested to us that we should consider moving the stairwell into the position this landing currently occupies in order to make the square footage more usable. Now we're stumped. Do you think it's worth the extra work and headache to move the stairwell, do you think we think we should stick to our previous plan, OR do you have a better suggestion? We're completely stuck, and this is VERY frustrating considering our entire kitchen is out of service until we make up our minds.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (5)

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Where in the plan is the stairwell? How would moving it affect the kitchen and the rest of the house? Are you going to gain enough to feel that you've invested your money well? Can you afford to move the stairway and enlarge the kitchen, making things what you want?

• lyvia
    13 years ago

I can't tell where the stairwell is/would be in the pictures. But here's a way to decide.

Make one copy of your plans as is and cut it up into movable pieces that will be the same scale. Then make a second "blank slate" copy, with white paper strips over the features so just the walls and non movable things show. Move things around to your heart's content, and challenge yourself to put things where you never thought they would go. When you find an arrangement you like, lightly tape down the pieces and copy that.

Then look at the arrangement possibilities. Organize them by major construction decisions - this pile is move the stairwell. Then make a list of pros and cons for the plans you like. Pros and cons will circle in your head like sharks unless you write them down. Use your paper plan to make sure sure they are "true" choices - i.e. instead of putting, if I move the stairwell, I can't have a dishwasher, think boldly about dishwasher drawers or new uses of adjoining space. Hopefully something will come forward.

That said, There are some good reasons to leave the stairwell - cost, effects on other rooms, and effects on structure. These are the kinds of changes you want to consider seriously, not rush into because of jitters (it's so hard to be confident when all is torn up). Scope creep is a tricky thing, and can tempt a well-planned project into uncharted waters. Are there clear immediate benefits worth the damage to your budget?

Remember, whatever you decide will be okay. The remodel police only make noises, they do not lock you up.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Are you eliminating the "awkward window"? I only see one window on the plan you linked to, but two windows in the photos.

Is the landing that area on the layout that walled off area to the right of the range in the layout (the range is on the top left, so is the landing the top right)?

• skyedog
    13 years ago

I'm having a hard time following your layout but from your pics it looks like if you change the stairs, they will turn right after you get in the door. If this is correct, I would advise against it, primarily because it will be so difficult to get things in and out of the basement. Even if this is not correct, I don't think moving the stairs will gain you very much, if anything. You need to maximize continuous wall space, not necessarily floor space.

We have an older, quirkier kitchen with stairs that exit off the kitchen (photo below). Because of a support post we couldn't move anything so we built into it. The cabinets that look like they are floating in space are 15" deep uppers that we recessed into the wall. They hold shoes and backpacks for us but could be used for anything. The recessed cabs on the end have a phone on the shelf and outlets underneath for charging stations and a dvd player that connects to the tv. On the wall behind everything that you can't see we recessed a tv above where the top of the shoe closet is.

I'm no good at layouts but you might want to consider pulling the "wall" closer to your stairs and using the sides potentially with shallow pantry cabs on the wall next to where the window was and recessed storage (broom closet?) on the side hugging the down steps.

I think your old nook could be a cool space, one way or the other, and I would keep the stairs as is.

• ashleymking
    Original Author
    13 years ago

rhome410: The area I'm talking about it in the upper right-hand corner of the drawings I posted on the link. It's the 42" area with the side by side pantry cabinet. The stairwell leads to both the basement and the garage. The laundry room is below the stairwell, so that wouldn't be an issue either. Our budget is tight, but we can allocate more funds if we think it will add a tremendous amount to the final layout.

Lyvia: Thanks for your advice. We've already purchased our new appliances, so we're locked in on a few things. I just might have to try your idea of mocking up the space and moving things around a bit.

Buehl: We ARE keeping the awkward window. Yay! These drawings don't include it, because we were unsure for so long. We've ordered new windows, and the window guy/mason are coming within the next week to raise up the window so it won't at all interfere with the base cabinets.. We decided we couldn't live without the light, especially in such a small place. You were exactly right about the layout. The landing is on the upper right of the layout I posted. It's 42" wide and about 18" deep.

Skyedog:This is exactly the creative approach I'd like to take to our space. The only thing is that I'm not sure what that solution should/could look like. Thanks for the picture--it really helps me picture things.