Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madeline616_gw

Your quick opinion on my beadboard please...timely :)

Madeline616
11 years ago

Hello,

Is it okay to have 2 different styles--namely 1.5" width and 3" width--of beadboard in one small-ish kitchen?

We're designing my parents' kitchen cabinets for their new cottage. Light, bright, West Indies style yellow stucco cottage with white trim, light blue exterior doors and lots of sun light.

An open floorplan, the interior will be somewhere between casual French country and sunny beach cottage. You can take in the whole kitchen when you're standing in the great room, it's all one big room.

We selected beadboard for 2 areas only--the island and the hood. I didn't want to go over(bead)board :) The island is situated in front of the range, so you'll see the hood and island very much at the same time.

We prefer the 3" width beadboard to the 1.5", meaning 3" between beads (so wider boards).

The hood is being made right now with 3" beadboard, but the island was already made using 1.5". We can pay the cabinet maker to change it (probably won't cost too much, he's reasonable), or leave as is.

The 1.5" on the island won't bother me, in and of itself, but I'm wondering if it'll clash to have 1.5" and 3" in the same small kitchen.

Maybe it's actually a cool design element to have the 2 different widths? I can't decide.

Would love your input! Thanks :)

Comments (6)