Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimhoj_gw

Where to buy cabinets/ countertops in Seattle

kimhoj
12 years ago

Hello,

I've been shopping around for kitchen cabinets and countertops in Seattle. I've already checked out the big box stores and find the choices from Home Depot and Lowes to be actually pretty good (Woodmark and Thomasville). Does anyone have recommendations for similar priced cabinets in the Seattle area?

Also, how about granite? It seems that some of the granite stores on 1st ave in SoDo are Chinese owned (I'm not racist- I'm Asian myself) and I'm skeptical of the quality. Any advice is appreciated!

Comments (15)

• rhome410
    12 years ago

Some great granite yards are down in Georgetown, between 4th and 7th Ave, and Fidalgo and Michigan Streets, where you'll find Pental, Meta Marble & Granite, Oregon Tile and Marble, and others.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

My kitchen isn't done, but here are some pictures of my cabs.

I don't want to sound like I'm pushing my cab maker. I'm really happy with his work and my experiences with him and would like to pass his name along to anyone in the area like Newcastlemom passed along his name for me. A good ally in the reno process is priceless!

Here is a link that might be useful: My custom cabs

• ferrygirl
    12 years ago

We purchased our granite from Pental and were pleased. We also went to Oregon Tile. A friend DID buy his granite from a place on First Avenue. They cut the countertop right in his driveway! I thought that was a bit odd! He was very happy with the work though. I looked at that particular shop for my granite to compare prices, and they didn't have it. They didn't have a great write up with the BBB - lots of problems with communications - and I just mean getting calls returned and slow response time on any problems that came up.

• marg42
    12 years ago

Another vote for Cornerstone! I had heard Cornerstone was great and a builder recently took me to a client's home done by Cornerstone. (See pics below) Cab colors are BM China White and BM Cotton Ball on trim. Beautiful - just like Breezy's :). I understand that they do both inset and overlay. I've been reseaching custom, semi-c. and big box cabinets for months - and they're definitely a cab maker to check out(based on cost and quality).

P.S. Breezy: did you go through a builder to get your cabs - or did you order them directly? Also, what color did you choose for your cabs? Everything turned out beautifully!

">

">

As far as stone, I agree with everyone's comments so far (Meta,etc) -and if you're thinking about soapstone, you may want to check out Crocodile Rocks in Kenmore. They fabricate next door and you don't have to purchase the whole slab - at least that's what they told me on the phone :).

• kimhoj
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for their help! I'll check out Meta, Pental, and Oregon Tile and Daltile. I did walk into the Oregon Tile store and felt a little out of place- I didn't ask, but I felt that their prices were high.

• athomesewing
    12 years ago

Denali Rocks in Woodinville is really nice too. Most, if not all of those mentioned have websites showing their slabs (fun)

Here's a link to Denali...

Here is a link that might be useful: Denali Rocks

• M Z
    8 years ago

My comments are a couple of years late, but this post is so helpful! We're just looking to redo our kitchen cabinets, and I was wondering if anyone had any other cabinet makers to add? And maybe share their contact details?

Also, if you're comfortable, please do share the price range your cabinets came in.

Thanks!

• mmleach
    8 years ago

MZ, I recommend Spencer Cabinets in Monroe. They have lots of choices in style, wood, and fabrication. Do a search for their website. The service was top notch. Our kitchen was done about 1 1/2 years ago. It was a difficult kitchen because we have lots of angles, designed around a bay window. There was a slight miscalculation for one of the cabinets. Carl (Spencer) picked up the cabinet on a Monday and got it back by Wednesday, and it fit perfectly. Our GC was so impressed with Spencer Cabinets that he now recommends them to all his clients.

• M Z
    8 years ago

Thanks mmleach! I just reached out to Spencer Cabinets and will visit their showroom. If it's ok, please do share the approx size of your kitchen and cost? We have a 10x10 kitchen right now but looking to open it up a bit with a pass through.

• mmleach
    8 years ago

MZ, our kitchen is approximately 12x18. It is at the end of a longer room. It is all angles, so the cost would not be the same for a kitchen that size that isn't. The cabinets themselves are square. I can tell you that we did get estimates from Lowes and couple other places that have stock cabinets. I can't remember the exact costs, but they were all in the same ballpark. With Spencer cabinets, we got lots of custom designing so that we got what we wanted where we wanted it. Also cost will depend upon the wood, finish and the insides of the cabinets and drawers.

If you plan to do rock countertops, ask Dottie for the name of the fabricator that they recommend. His name is Chris, but I don't have the name of his company handy. He did a fantastic job on all the angles - matched everything so much it is hard to find the seams. We have green iron soapstone.

• M Z
    8 years ago

Thanks a lot mmleach! We met Dottie and waiting on a quote from her. Fingers crossed!

• mmleach
    8 years ago

Let us know what you decide. I know the quality is very good. What style, wood, etc. did you pick?

• M Z
    8 years ago

Hey mmleach! We picked a beadboard style cabinet which would be painted. But we didn't really discuss the wood type - got the quote today and it says "poplar". It also says plywood construction, even though I may change that to MDF since it will be sealed and painted. Any thoughts on that?

Really liked how detailed the design and quote was. However, it's exceeding our budget so may need to take out some thing from the dream kitchen! :/

• mmleach
    8 years ago

MZ, I can't help you much with the choice of plywood or MDF. My DH was insistent on plywood. He build the kitchen cabinets in a remodel we did many years ago and wanted the plywood. I didn't care as long as everything was functional and I had want I wanted from the outside. We do have cherry cabinets with a clear finish. They have been in since November, 2014 and I still love them. Hope you can figure out your budget and your wants to come to a satisfactory decision.