Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newhome4us

want this look - see pic - how is it built?

newhome4us
11 years ago

SAW THIS ON HOUZZ... NEED TO GET THIS LOOK TO HELP WITH HAVING A SEAM WITHIN THE ISLAND TOP BEING SO LONG. MY WILL BE APPROX 9' X 8'. CAN ANYONE TELL ME..IF THIS COMES UP THUR THE GRANITE OR JUST SITS ON TOP OF GRANITE??

THANKS!

Traditional Kitchen design by Los Angeles General Contractor LuAnn Development, Inc.

Comments (9)

• scrappy25
    11 years ago

I was in a luxury vacation home with an 8 x 8 foot island- er, continent- and you can't reach the center to clean it or get items that have been pushed in without climbing up onto the counter. The raised height of the center here would make it even more impractical. If those flowers are real and not just light artificial ones, it would hurt my back to get those flowers up there and you could never really use that raised portion. I think you'd be much better off with an island that you can really reach the center of (perhaps 6x8 or 6 x 9 feet_) and make it flat all around.

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

it looks to me like the island is an L built around the raised portion...no?

• thirdkitchenremodel
    11 years ago

It probably comes up through the granite and the rest is built around it.

Also agree with above posters about the impracticality of using such a big island.

• elphaba_gw
    11 years ago

I agree with remodelfla that the raised portion doesn't look like it is in the middle but is surrounded by the "L" of the granite. If so, this wouldn't be hard to clean but a 9X8 would be very difficult to keep center clean IMO.
    Looks like the widest part of the island in the pic is around 6 ft, maybe?

• gin_gin
    11 years ago

No the raised part is in the middle of the island, you can just barely see that stools go all the way across the back side in that picture. Here is a picture of the other side.

I agree it would be hard to clean. Won't be an issue for me, my whole kitchen is about the size of that island. ;)

[Spaces design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/home-design-ideas-phbr0-bp~) by Los Angeles General Contractor LuAnn Development, Inc.

• User
    11 years ago

That's an idea that should have been left on the drawing board. It's totally impractical in real life. But I would imagine that it's 4 separate pieces of granite (and some steel), plus the piece for the middle. I'd bet there is as much granite on the island as there is in the entire total typical kitchen, if not more. And the entire kitchen space is bigger than my first house! I imagine there is a lot of steel in the roofing system as well. A VERY expensive house to build.

• newhome4us
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. I understand everyone's concern about not being able to clean the center or get to it. I looked at my dimension to see if I was remembering correctly and I am a little off. The size of the counter top would be 92" x 92" (7'8" x 7'8")... I originally wanted 2 island but I don't have enough room to have the standard distance between things. I don't want the traditional higher bar top on end -- that's why I thought this may work. Plus finding one piece of granite...is going to be hard. Maybe I should leave it one level?? or be narrow inbetween 2 island??

• deedles
    11 years ago

That's flippin' huge, man. That's all I have to offer right now, sorry but geez... how ARE you going to clean that thing off? Stand on it and mop? You did mean 7'8" square, right?

• taggie
    11 years ago

When you have a house like that, you don't have worry about cleaning it. You have people for that. :-)